Who is your inspiration in belly dancing?

Mya

That would be my guess as well if i had to hazard one.

I'm all about Fifi - I named one of my puppies Fifi. :D

Sita

Suheir Zaki!! She is my favourite dancer ever, from the first time I watched a clip of her dancing on youtube I was swept away by her elegance, grace and her sweetness. The music just flows perfectly through her body as she dances.

However it was Natacha Atlas's music that actually inspired me to start belly dancing; I so loved her music and all the middle eastern music I heard that I wanted to learn how to dance and relate to the music. Then what started as a burning desire became an obsession ;)

Sita

Last edited:

AngelaJP

I will have to check online about those other belly dancer inspirations you have as I'm so curious! Thank you.

Moon and Mya, thanks for the input about Sadie's style of dancing. Some of her moves are being taught in my school but her choreography (?) is too fast for me. I think she executes it quite marvelously! I wish she had more emotion though or I don't know. There's just a teeny something about her I can't actually pinpoint.

AngelaJP

Perhaps you find her more of a technician than an artist?

Yes, Shanazel, something like that... Her movements are just impeccable but I was probably looking for depth of personality or her connection to the audience. I am not really an expert in belly dancing so I cannot tell what the ideal performance is.

Maria_Aya

Fifi Abdo, Suheir Zaki, Mona el Said, Nagua Fuad, Taheya Carrioka, Naima Akef, Hossam Ramzy, Aisha Azar, Dawlat these people inspire me in a dance and mental level.

Maria Aya :)

Durrah

Well I've got very different answers :lol: I'm a tribal girl.

Wendy, Sandi, Anita, Baby Kristine, and of course Carolena of FCBD. Their interactions on stage always leave me breathless. Megha Gavin and the girls of Devyani Dance Co. I love ATS.

Rachel Brice and Mardi Love, who both have fantastic stage presence, gorgeous sinuous movement, and hilarious senses of humor. And Mardi's so stylish! I love them, even though I'm not a tribal fusion dancer.

April and Dvora of To The Earth, who in Richmond (two hours north) are the closest ATS teachers to my troupe, so we go up and train with them when we can, and I count both of them friends as well. Sweet girls, fantastic teachers, wonderful to hang with, and great performers.

AngelaJP

Vibrance, personality, grace and fluidity, wow :shok:.... Saida, Suheir Zaki and Samia Gamal!

I have yet to watch the many others mentioned here...

P.S. Oh my goddddd, Rachel Brice is awesome!!!!

Last edited:

lizaj

When I first saw Fifi Abdou on film I knew this dance had got me.
It's about personalilty and communication of joy as well as technique.

Asmahan: an unabashed show woman
Randa Kamal:modern and athletic
Yasmina of Cairo so classy and elegant

But I am constantly reminded by these 3 that I will only ever be an adequate so what makes me carry on?
The likes of these people:
....because she just oozes love, joy and fun Houda from Yorkshire.
.... tribal: Wendy Marlett of Rashani is so powerful and confident
and Sara Farouk makes me think ..just get out and dance, will you! It's for you!

Mya

Strangely enough since she's quite unlike Fifi, i also find Ansuya to be quite an inspiration to me. I also named one of my puppies Ansuya :lol:

I am not inspired by Neena and Veena so boldly called the most famous bellydancers in history in that article linked on the front page.

jenc

Strangely enough since she's quite unlike Fifi, i also find Ansuya to be quite an inspiration to me. I also named one of my puppies Ansuya :lol:

I am not inspired by Neena and Veena so boldly called the most famous bellydancers in history in that article linked on the front page.

Are they actually bellydancers. Anyone seen them? i always assumed they were fitness instructors!!