A question

kayshier

I have been closely following the debate in
this thread
http://www.bellydanceforums.net/dance-styles/6279-what-we-do-if-its-not-bellydance.html
and wondering if it is that there is such heated debate over the issue then....

How long does it take one to consider themselves ready for public performance...is there an average or is that subjective
(i for one don't consider myself ready at all right now.)

and if there is such debate about the definition of what we are learning...how then do we define what some of us are performing now, or even hope to perform iin the future?

Caroline_afifi

I have been closely following the debate in
this thread
http://www.bellydanceforums.net/dance-styles/6279-what-we-do-if-its-not-bellydance.html
and wondering if it is that there is such heated debate over the issue then....

How long does it take one to consider themselves ready for public performance...is there an average or is that subjective
(i for one don't consider myself ready at all right now.)

and if there is such debate about the definition of what we are learning...how then do we define what some of us are performing now, or even hope to perform iin the future?

It really is a combination of factors. There is no 'time' for this as such.
It also depends on what, where and who the performance is aimed at.
Nobody in the world should perform, unless they have a strong desire to express something through their dancing AND have the skills required to do so.
Who would get up an play a classic guitar piece if they have only had a few guitar lessons and can strike two chords?

If it is a class presentation to show how learning is developing then fine. If it is a public performance representing MED then think very carefully.

How often do performers rely on the audience knowing Jack sh** about this dance?? too many.

Aisha Azar

Dance

It really is a combination of factors. There is no 'time' for this as such.
It also depends on what, where and who the performance is aimed at.
Nobody in the world should perform, unless they have a strong desire to express something through their dancing AND have the skills required to do so.
Who would get up an play a classic guitar piece if they have only had a few guitar lessons and can strike two chords?

If it is a class presentation to show how learning is developing then fine. If it is a public performance representing MED then think very carefully.

How often do performers rely on the audience knowing Jack sh** about this dance?? too many.

Dear Kayshier,
The only place where I would disagree with Caroline in her response above is her statement about the audience. We can never, EVER afford to consider our audiences as less than intelligent, educated people in the dance. It does not matter if they know a lot about the dance or not. We must treat them with the respect that they deserve and honor our audiences as if they are our partners in the dance, which they are if they are there to see us perform. We always owe them truth and we always owe them the best we can give. Treat them as equals and never say anything as foolish as "Oh, they don't know anything anyway, so we can do whatever we want". Assume they are knowledgeable instead of ignorant. If it does nothing else, it will keep you honest in your dance efforts. Educate them as if you trust them to be there to appreciate the dance and they will respond in kind.
Regards,
A'isha