Post Thanks / Like

Big Grin Hello from Texas!

Hi all! Amy from Ft Worth here.
    I just wanted to introduce myself. I've been taking bellydance (raks sharqi?) classes for 3 1/2 years.. I started with absolutely NO dance/movement/public appearance/anything experience when I was 31, so this is all REALLY foreign to me and my poor body. What was I thinking? LOL
    Anyway, the bug bit me hard, and I have fallen so in love with the art.
    It makes me feel wonderful. I never expected that! I feel the music and my soul dances, but my body hasn't quite caught up - it's like learning a new language, and then some.
    Now i'm finding out how much I DON'T know - little nuances, arm movements, facial expressions... When I dance, I feel wonderful, but when I watch a video of myself, I am disappointed - not what I visualized...
    Not sure what I am trying to say here - I feel like I am always playing catch-up. I'm making progress, though

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by amyb View Post
    Hi all! Amy from Ft Worth here.
    I just wanted to introduce myself. I've been taking bellydance (raks sharqi?) classes for 3 1/2 years.. I started with absolutely NO dance/movement/public appearance/anything experience when I was 31, so this is all REALLY foreign to me and my poor body. What was I thinking? LOL
    Anyway, the bug bit me hard, and I have fallen so in love with the art.
    It makes me feel wonderful. I never expected that! I feel the music and my soul dances, but my body hasn't quite caught up - it's like learning a new language, and then some.
    Now i'm finding out how much I DON'T know - little nuances, arm movements, facial expressions... When I dance, I feel wonderful, but when I watch a video of myself, I am disappointed - not what I visualized...
    Not sure what I am trying to say here - I feel like I am always playing catch-up. I'm making progress, though
    I am exactly the same as you in all aspects of your story (no kidding!) except that I've been belly dancing for a year but had a lull for 6months.

Welcome to the forum, girl!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi! Thanks for replying! I see you're in the Philippines - I was born there! Air Force baby, born at the former Clark Air Base.
    Anyway, HI!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi! Thanks for replying! I see you're in the Philippines - I was born there! Air Force baby, born at the former Clark Air Base.
    Anyway, HI!
    Amy, that's incredible that you were born here in Pampanga! Have you visited here again?

I see you're now in Fort Worth. Did you follow your dad's (or mom's) footsteps and are serving in the military?

About belly dance, I wish I'll have the guts and of course the skills to perform even just once in my life, haha! I might end up just performing for my hubby

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AngelaJP View Post
    Amy, that's incredible that you were born here in Pampanga! Have you visited here again?

I see you're now in Fort Worth. Did you follow your dad's (or mom's) footsteps and are serving in the military?

About belly dance, I wish I'll have the guts and of course the skills to perform even just once in my life, haha! I might end up just performing for my hubby
    Sadly, i have not been back yet. Hopefully one day.. My parents have lots of pictures, and it makes me want to go. I didn't join the military.. Thought about it, but decided it was not for me and started a family instead.
    As for you performing, you are gorgeous - go for it! It took me at least 2 years before I was brave enough to do a hafla.. Well, maybe a year and a half. I'm not professional level, but any progress from nothing is good! Haha.
    Here is a video of my very first improv drum solo at a hafla in June.. I was so nervous I wanted to throw up.. but I did it! I originally didn't want the video public - just wanted to show my sister and a few others, but I accidentally flagged it public on youtube.. and decided to just let it stay that way and see what happens.. The more I watch it, the more mistakes I see.. but .. hehehe

YouTube - June 2008 Hafla - Drum Solo

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Videos

Hey Amy, I am just like you when I watch my videos. I think it is normal, 'cause it means you already know what you must do to a get better dance and the movements you need to practice more. I think everybody doesn't feel 100% happy with your own videos, because there is always more and more to practice and learn. But do not be sad when watching, this is not going to help anyway. When you see that you have more to learn, try to be happier than before watching!

Post Thanks / Like

Sadly, i have not been back yet. Hopefully one day.. My parents have lots of pictures, and it makes me want to go. I didn't join the military.. Thought about it, but decided it was not for me and started a family instead.
    As for you performing, you are gorgeous - go for it! It took me at least 2 years before I was brave enough to do a hafla.. Well, maybe a year and a half. I'm not professional level, but any progress from nothing is good! Haha.
    Here is a video of my very first improv drum solo at a hafla in June.. I was so nervous I wanted to throw up.. but I did it! I originally didn't want the video public - just wanted to show my sister and a few others, but I accidentally flagged it public on youtube.. and decided to just let it stay that way and see what happens.. The more I watch it, the more mistakes I see.. but .. hehehe

YouTube - June 2008 Hafla - Drum Solo
    Amy, you're such a natural, totally fabulous! Loved your video. Who made your choreography? Your dance, the music, the background, your costume, etc. - all so elegant and beautiful...

How often do you have classes? I will do my best not to have lulls in belly dancing again. I am enrolled in the cheapest school here, around US$1.20 per session. Each session has a different teacher and style so I don't really get to concentrate on one style. What style of belly dance did you perform? Sorry, I am still a bit confused about the styles.

About your coming back to the Philippines, a LOT has changed since you were here, of course. Around my area (Cebu City) are touristy places because of the beautiful beaches and nature. Your family will surely enjoy exploring the country you were born in, totally different culture and adventure!

Cheers!