Page 1 of 31 123456711 ... LastLast
    V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Gothic Belly dance

Heyas,

I came across this clip, and was wondering if this is gothic belly dance? I don't actually know what Gothic Belly dance is to be honest.

I used to think Rachel Brices vesion was a bit gothic, but someone said to me it was Tribal Fusion with industrial music. If any body can explain to me what gothic belly dance is that would be nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BPKfCrv-ko&eurl=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvcGK...elated&search=

I think I like the second better though.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gothic what??

Dear Sara,
    I would like to know what would make anyone think that either one of those videos had anything to do with belly dance. The first one looked like an erotic submission film short and the second one looked like there was some actual dance going on there, but certainly not belly dance.
    Regards,
    A'isha

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats what I thought about the first. I didn't like it much. I don't really understand gothic belly dance to be honest, that's why I'm so curious.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Sara, unfortunately I can't watcxh the video clips here, but maybe this website can help you to understand what gothic bellydance is http://www.meddevi.com/gothicbellydance/main.html I think you can also find quite some information if you google "raqs gothique".

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh thanks! That looks like just the thing.

gfjhkltgirkdhnv fl

(That was my beautiful baby waby saying thank you too, she's called Tabitha. She's the most adorable puddy tat in the world. She's even stands all over my keyboard to try and say thankyou.)

The Gothic Belly Dancer part actress, part vamp, part gypsy, part rebel, part sorceress, and part priestess---and all focused on a known or perhaps unknown (occult) intent.
    I don't understand that bit on the website. What have Romany people got to do with Gothic Belly dance? I can only think of Turkish Rom dancing really. Do they mean the fantasy gypsy?
    Last edited by Sara; 08-27-2006 at 09:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know. The whole sentence sounds weird to me. Maybe they mean romany inspired costumes or some fantasy stuff inspired on exciting gypsy stories?

By the way, tell Tabitha it was no problem looking it up. I don't know how to say in her language?

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm guessing it would be meow? Lol- but she's cleaning her ears in approval. She's such a Baby

But yea- I guess they mean the costuming. I don't really understand the sentacne neither. It seems pretty fantasy kind of stuff.

I know I dukker (fortune telling) from me Gram, and stuff like that, maybe they could mean they're inspiried by that aspect of the stereotypical Romany kind of thing. Ehy deary me, I don't know.
    Last edited by Sara; 03-11-2011 at 01:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a gothic belly dance DVD, you can read my review here:
    http://www.gildedserpent.com/art36/AmulyagothDVD.htm

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Aww, that was very useful in explaining those clips, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

OMG they've got "my" avatar on their homepage! :eek: That picture is so NOT a gothic bellydancer (not a bellydancer at all actually...)

Thanks for your comments, A'isha - I am trying to understand what you mean when you talk about what is and isn't bellydance. I think I am starting to understand in a small way (through spending FAR TOO MUCH TIME on this forum and youtube ). A few bellydance moves just isn't what I'd call bellydance now either, and the spirit behind it is something completely different.

As for the gothic belly dancer definition, sounds like just fantasy and creating a nice (ha ha not a goth word) exotic image for yourself. Nothing wrong with that except you might offend/upset/confuse anyone who has any "ownership" of the terms you are using. Doesn't seem to have much to do with real gypsies today, and maybe not much to do with real sorceresses (not having met one I wouldn't know).

Not that I've anything against fantasies... that ain't me in the avatar (sigh... ).
    Yrs stepping Away from the black eyeliner,
    A xxx

Page 1 of 31 123456711 ... LastLast