Gothic Belly dance

Aniseteph

Hey Ladies,
No comments on the video I posted? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBNk0nRXoko) ...

OK Moon! I liked the dancing, but it seemed to be fairly straight bellydance to me. Imagine it to some Egyptian music, add a bit of gold beaded fringe... The only gothic aspect I got was the costume (loads of black, slightly tribal and goth-y black hair), and different music.

Even the performance style was quite upbeat - when you can see her face she seems quite smiley and open, which doesn't say Goth to me (oh dear, I'm probably being unfair to goths. I'm sure they smile a lot really)

Moon

Ok, so it's not gothic bellydance, but maybe just a goth girl bellydancing :confused: Getting really confused here, haha! Actually I think goths can be as happy as any other people, especially when being surrounded by people with the same passions and interests, just like everybody.

A'isha Azar said:
Dear Moon,
Well, thank you very much!! (I look quite lovely in electric blue!!)
Regards,
A'isha

No problem. I like to mess with paint ;) Didn't know about your favourite colours, so I just picked the ones from your avatar (or is that purple?)

da Sage

I think Bat Girl is a PerkyGoth. These are Goths who are cheered by coffins, bats, and gloomy accoutrements.:D

Some of them indulge a glitter habit on the side.:p

Amulya

OMG they've got "my" avatar on their homepage! :eek: That picture is so NOT a gothic bellydancer (not a bellydancer at all actually...)

What is your avatar? You mean the picture is yours? I thought that was Tempest herself.

By the way, there is now an article in the Hip Cirlce about that controversial (didn't I say that in a polite way?*evil grin*) video clip on the Gothic DVD:
http://www.thehipcircle.com/article/display.asp?ArticleID=201

Marisha25

de Sage, your comments are fantastic :D but as someone who dabbled with Goth style in my high school days (I was never a very hard core Goth, just could not take it that seriously ;) ) it seemed to me that Goth subculture is not exactly encouraging of sunny dispositions. As for Jehan's explanation of her controversial performance I had a similar feeling to that when I read Sashi's explanation about her dancing with the pierced metal wings...I felt that they used a lot of rhetoric but never really addressed the actual concerns raised and if you strip away all the pretty words it came out like "this is my dance, and I will do what I like"...grrr

Marisha25

Hi Moon! Sorry about the confusion. I was trying to comment on 2 different things. "Doing what I like and everyone else should just go **** themselves" attitude is important to many, including Goths but when handling dance, especially something so sensitive as belly dance I think it's quite different. I think if a dancer is doing, say, a lyrical or a contemporary piece they are less bound by tradition but belly dance has cultural roots so I think that if a dancer goes out and says she/he is doing belly dance, then she/he should be considerate and should be able to address specific points of critique when they dance in this style rather then glossing it over with rhetoric. I knew that when I bought Gothic Bellydance DVD I should not expect authenticity to be the main focus, nor as a Marilyn Manson fan am I easily scared or offended, but I thought that Jehan's number went too far for a bellydance dvd. I liked the song and the message in it but not the presentation.
Marisha

Moon

I watched the performance of Jehan at the website (see Amulya's link) and I although I can only watch it in a very "shaky" way here and without sound, I agree with you that this dance was too far away from bellydance. However, I think not only Jehan is to be blamed but also the persons who made and sold this gothic bellydance DVD. They should have placed some kind of warning on the cover that there is a performance on it which is not suitable for young children to watch and can be shocky for some persons.

Marisha25 said:
Wow Moon, you posted 430 times!
As soon as I reach 500, you should all have a piece of the virtual cake I'm going to post ;)

Aniseteph

What is your avatar? You mean the picture is yours? I thought that was Tempest herself.

Not the main picture on http://www.meddevi.com/gothicbellydance/main.html but the smaller one at the bottom.

It's not me (unfortunately:() but neither is it Tempest or any other Goth, or any other bellydancer; it's Marilyn Monroe.

I'm going to change mine now though - I fancy a change so I'm going get my crayons out tonight and do something original!

Sara

:) Cool, I like drawing.

But back to subject, I still don't really understand the idea of gothic belly dance. Is it just fantasy? Or is it something else? :confused:

Moon

The idea I have of it is that it is some kind of fusion style, "invented" by ghots, in which they kind of mixed bellydance with their own style of clothing an make-up, fantasies and probably also music. I think the style is overall more dramatic, theatrical and has a more "dark atmospere".

Michelle

it seemed to me that Goth subculture is not exactly encouraging of sunny dispositions. As for Jehan's explanation of her controversial performance I had a similar feeling to that when I read Sashi's explanation about her dancing with the pierced metal wings...I felt that they used a lot of rhetoric but never really addressed the actual concerns raised and if you strip away all the pretty words it came out like "this is my dance, and I will do what I like"...grrr

Exactly the same thoughts that came to me as I was reading her response....
Flowery language does not hide the fact that she is not even addressing the issues here. I think a major issue, especially for myself, is that this is not even a tiny bit bellydance. Her reply to that was that the two moves she did were "executed beautifully." Two moves does NOT make it belly dance. Because on that principle, many things would be included under the title of belly dance (even more than what already has been included) and the dance would eventually cease to have any defining properties. You could be square-dancing, add a hip-twist, and call it belly dance. As preposterous as it may sound, it could eventually end up that way.
The fact that Jehan chooses to hold her "spirituality" as a shield from criticism does not alter the fact that it was inappropriate, both in the context and intent, for a bellydance DVD.

Sara

Well, I must admit, I was really shocked when I saw it. I came across it by accident.

My dad was stood behind me, and I was sooo embarassed. :eek: It's wasn't good.

I think I'm beginning to understand the idea's behind it, but I don't think it's for me. I'm sure there's some brilliant performances though. Perhaps?

Aisha Azar

Goth, etc.

Flowery language does not hide the fact that she is not even addressing the issues here. I think a major issue, especially for myself, is that this is not even a tiny bit bellydance. Her reply to that was that the two moves she did were "executed beautifully." Two moves does NOT make it belly dance. Because on that principle, many things would be included under the title of belly dance (even more than what already has been included) and the dance would eventually cease to have any defining properties. You could be square-dancing, add a hip-twist, and call it belly dance. As preposterous as it may sound, it could eventually end up that way.
The fact that Jehan chooses to hold her "spirituality" as a shield from criticism does not alter the fact that it was inappropriate, both in the context and intent, for a bellydance DVD.

Dear Michelle,
BRAVA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your commentary above was succinct and realistic as far as what we are now seeing being passed off as "belly dance". Thankyou a thousand times. When I lose hope of people understanding why it is so important to properly call the dances what they really are, I will remember your post here.
With respect,
A'isha

Gabi

Deleted for clean up

***apologizing for generalizing about the performer instead of only that one performance***

Last edited: