Howdy from Garland, TX!

Kahtibelly

Hi! Been dancing since late 2000, but for the past few years, I have had to put my dancing on the back burner. It's driving me nuts and I want to get back into it full swing. The problem is, I work 2nd shift, Mon-Fri and most Saturdays and I need some motivation to practice before work. Any ideas? :pray:

Shanazel

Sure. Hire a guy with a whip and chain who will drag you out of bed each morning and force you to bop till you drop and shake it till you break it.:D It is hard to get into the habit of practicing before work- there's just something psychologically difficult about practicing early in the day. Good luck

Kahtibelly

Sure. Hire a guy with a whip and chain who will drag you out of bed each morning

Do you mean this guy? :lol:

It is hard to get into the habit of practicing before work- there's just something psychologically difficult about practicing early in the day. Good luck

It's more like afternoon by the time I wake up.. :(

Except today.. I'm up at a weird time...

Last edited:

Mercedes

I know just what you mean. I had to take time off from dancing when my family business began to grow. The growth of this business was fantastic, but, it consumed all of my energy.

My motivation was music... just keep playing that music. Hossam Ramzy was my all time favorite, he kept the light shining into the creative dance side of my heart.

Regardless who your favorite is, keep playing it... and then dance to it. It doesn't have to be serious practice, just swing those hips a bit while brushing your teeth, shimmy yourself dry from the shower. Years ago I would make my kids giggle by cooking and doing dishes while balancing the sword, just to keep practicing as I could when I could. And I will never forget how I would do my core workout as my son napped on the floor next to me. It would start with him laying his head on my belly as I practiced belly rolls. He loved that and it calmed him enough where he could sleep. He'd go curl up on his mat and then I would get after those crunches!

Music, thats the way. It transports you into a different world of mystery, intrigue and exotic expectation... and you don't even have to leave the farm.

But, don't let it go... keep on keeping on.

Check out my mag: Shimmy Chronicles dance magazine - Subscribe now for your FREE copy!

Shanazel

Do you mean this guy? :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Absolutely! And those little needlepoint claws are an extra incentive to arise, as is the tail tickled gently beneath one's nose (can you tell I have cats, too?)

My brother has worked odd hours all of his adult life and is never quite in the world with the rest of us, going to bed when we are getting up and ready to go out and run 10 miles at 4:00 a.m. He lives in Mission, TX, by the way.

Last edited:

Sita

I have a friend who goes to classes with me - we help motivate each other and it reminds us and gives us the emphasis to go to lessons even when we're feeling too tired or had one of those days. It's also nicer and gentler than the whip idea ;)

Sita

hi there dont stress, theres plenty of bellydance workout videos u can download off the net and use to get back into the swing of things. ive got a few myself!!