??!

Mya

Well, i certainly did not enjoy that. And someone justifies it in the comments by saying that she only had 2 days to learn it - perhaps she ought not have done it then since she was ill-prepared. I agree though that perhaps the other contestants were somehow less impressive and the judges not very knowledgable of the dance.

Aniseteph

Oh dear, that show again. Not my cup of tea. I can honestly say that that is the least my-cup-of-tea interpretation of that track I have ever seen.

Sita

???

:shok::shok::shok:

:think: Maybe the judges are just huge fans of 'Shik Shak Shok' :think:

Sita

AngelaJP

:lol: Hahahahaha! I'm so amused. This lady sure has a great sense of humor!

Actually, If she was taught proper oriental dance, she might have pulled it off quite well. I think she has innate grace, compared to me, that is :D

Azeeza

As my husband would say, what she lacks in talent is more than made up for with enthusiasim (code word for not a very good dancer), plus with everyone with the butt cheeks showing. Ewwww.

Azeeza

da Sage

This doesn't mean much, except that the judges liked her better than the other contestants (and who knows how many or how good they are?).

There is a contest this weekend at the Ren Faire for the best bellydancer in Minnesota. We have lots of incredible professional and avocational dancers here...but most will not compete. Last year the "title" went to a lovely dancer from Wisconsin - I had heard someone talking trash about her performance at the Faire from someone who didn't compete (I didn't see that performance, sadly), but I quite liked her dancing the three times I saw her dance elsewhere.

I'm drifting...the point is, casual competitions are usually about the judges and the pool, not the base talent/artistic merit of the dancers/dance.

Azeeza

This doesn't mean much, except that the judges liked her better than the other contestants (and who knows how many or how good they are?).

There is a contest this weekend at the Ren Faire for the best bellydancer in Minnesota. We have lots of incredible professional and avocational dancers here...but most will not compete. Last year the "title" went to a lovely dancer from Wisconsin - I had heard someone talking trash about her performance at the Faire from someone who didn't compete (I didn't see that performance, sadly), but I quite liked her dancing the three times I saw her dance elsewhere.

I'm drifting...the point is, casual competitions are usually about the judges and the pool, not the base talent/artistic merit of the dancers/dance.

I didn't think she was horrible exactly, but she might be fusing belly dance and something else, jazz dance or hip hop dance or some other type of dance? What I saw wasn't what I expected when I saw her in the bedlah. Plus, showing the bottom, I don't know if I've ever seen cheeks showing so prominantly with a bedlah. Maybe I'm just old fashioned. I did think she was talented, but as I said, not the type of dancing I expected to see in the costume she was wearing.

Azeeza

Last edited:

Shanazel

All too often judges at these affairs are chosen on the basis of their own personal celebrity and not on the basis of their dance expertise. I notice my beginning students are far more impressed by dancers who provide lots of fast action and fancy pops and locks than are my more advanced students who have learned to appreciate the less showy but more elegant dancers. Likewise untrained judges are more likely to give high points to exaggerated movement and "tricks" than judges who have a clue and can appreciate subtle movement, musicality, and genuine emotional expression. Thus we end up with dance contest winners who wouldn't make it past the preliminary rounds if the judges were well-trained dancers.

Last edited:

lizaj

What kind of dance was the gal in Indian costume doing and why was the clown introducing the show wrapping something around his head. Dear me:(

The er..male dancer..what was he about? What "style" of dance are we talking of here?

and lastly the lass in pnk...what was she on? Or was it all speeded up?That was horrendous.

That show seems to verg on the offensive!:(

da Sage

I finally was able to read this thread at home so I could watch the video, too.

She's obvious got some talent and skill in dance, but next-to-no training in bellydance. What kind of a competition is this?:confused:

CrossEyed

*One eyebrow raised* Uuhhhh, I know I'm pretty fresh to the world of belly dance, but ummmm...*scratches chin* what was that? :confused:
I saw no elegance or grace in this...

lizaj

I finally was able to read this thread at home so I could watch the video, too.

She's obvious got some talent and skill in dance, but next-to-no training in bellydance. What kind of a competition is this?:confused:

yes. ODDalisque can you explain...are these people actually belly dancers or are they dancers given the task to have a go at belly dancing.?
Both girls are pretty awful at belly dancing and look like they have just got up to have go? If that is the case then they are to be forgiven.
And that compere..he's a nightmare..and I thought UK TV was awful:lol:

jenc

Isn't the girl in the Indian outfit fairly typical of Bollywood fusion dancers, ie fusion as an excuse not to learn how to do anything properly. I thought we could have seem that one at any hafla as a fusion piece

yes. ODDalisque can you explain...are these people actually belly dancers or are they dancers given the task to have a go at belly dancing.?
Both girls are pretty awful at belly dancing and look like they have just got up to have go? If that is the case then they are to be forgiven.
And that compere..he's a nightmare..and I thought UK TV was awful:lol:

They are not professional dancers at all,but I think the "winner's" dance was the worst of all...