Getting Started [how do you become a recognized professional]

lizaj

I agree Aisha that 4 years is not a long time but if a teacher carries on learning herself and is in an area where there is no belly dancing especially no other classes which is what I took the situation to be then for the right dancer, teaching is a way forward.
I reluctlantly agreed to start teaching after 6 years because there was no-one in the town I went to and ladies desperate to learn. Being a schoolteacher, it was the last thing I wanted to do. Connect my hobby/obsession with my working life!:D
I have met people who have taught after less time for the same reasons, their teacher left the area..they live in an isolated area etc etc.
And don't get me wrong teaching beginners is THE most important aspect which is why I said do it properly carry on learning, get insured, look into the business side. I'd been teaching for over three years when I took a teacher training course and I am very glad I did it but these are not always available and I am not sure they are necessary for long established teachers but further education is.
I took it that the OP was keen to show that belly dancing is a viable and worthwhile entertainment in her area and one way to do that is to get others enjoying it as they do it. It's not an easy option far from it but one way to convince the gp is to have a member of the family say .."I do it and it's a lovely art form and it's doing me good."
My husband was reluctantly dragged along to see shows. He had a typically dismissive attitude..just a load of wiggling etc..but now he is a
photographer "on demand" and beginning to discern what makes a good dancer and enjoys watching dancing for the right reasons!;)

Aisha Azar

Dance, etc.

Dear Lizaj,
If I were the only ballerina for miles around, and a 4 year student.... would you, as a ballet student, feel confident in studying with me? I know I would prefer a more experienced and seasoned instructor who had a deeper understanding of the dance than it isusually possible to get in four years. What I have found is that beginning belly dance is even more important to learn properly in order to move from a good foundation on to more advanced concepts in the dance.
Regards,
A'isha

Shanazel

Not every community is blessed with a choice of teachers. Most of us would love to take lessons from a pro with a hundred years or so of experience, but if it ain't possible, it ain't possible. If the only alternative to a teacher with 4-6 years of experience was no teacher at all, you bet I'd go with the teacher who was available. In fact, that is exactly what I did in that situation, and I learned a great deal from the lady- certainly more than I'd have learned without her.

Years of dance background do not necessarily add up to the ability to impart knowledge to students, and in our eagerness to equate years of experience with genuine ability, I think we sometimes discount teachers- and performers- who have learned their lessons well in less time than other people require.

kayshier

Not every community is blessed with a choice of teachers. Most of us would love to take lessons from a pro with a hundred years or so of experience, but if it ain't possible, it ain't possible. If the only alternative to a teacher with 4-6 years of experience was no teacher at all, you bet I'd go with the teacher who was available. In fact, that is exactly what I did in that situation, and I learned a great deal from the lady- certainly more than I'd have learned without her.

Years of dance background do not necessarily add up to the ability to impart knowledge to students, and in our eagerness to equate years of experience with genuine ability, I think we sometimes discount teachers- and performers- who have learned their lessons well in less time than other people require.

agreed.
teaching is a separate skill. one might be quite knowledgeable yet unable to impart that knowledge in a way that is easily understood by students. however, one cannot discount that experience is very important, so if there is a combination of both then that's even more fantastic.

the statement i highlighted in bold is an interesting one and i think it is worth some discussion, because some people learn faster than others.

Aisha Azar

Dance

Dear Shanazel,
At the same time, it can be almost guaranteed that very little background is not helpful either. There are a few who learn quickly in terms of the dance movements, but putting them into cultural context, as we have seen, very rarely happens in a short time and is one of the reasons why we have the mess we have today. As a person who started teaching after only 2 years of dance, I am in a position to tell you that what I knew after 6 years was so much more applicable to the dance on many levels as opposed to just teaching movement, and what I know after 34 is so much more vast and what I hope to know 10 years from now if I am still dancing, will be more expanded and inclusive yet.
But, there is a very minimum level of understanding that one should have to even teach beginners and I have only very rarely seen that in a 4 year student, no matter what part of the country I am teaching in. And often, no , it is not better to study with whomever is available because you will spend many years unlearning what they taught if it is incorrect and the student took it to heart.
Regards,
A'isha

Shanazel

one cannot discount that experience is very important, so if there is a combination of both then that's even more fantastic.

A teacher made in heaven, indeed!

And often, no , it is not better to study with whomever is available because you will spend many years unlearning what they taught if it is incorrect and the student took it to heart.

I understand your point, A'isha, but stand by my own. One cannot assume a teacher with only a few years experience is going to be incompetant and should automatically be avoided.

Last edited:

Nur Al Leyali

Reply Aisha and all....

I agree with you it is better to have years experiance but as i said before you have to have a start and I think that if you were to go into the teaching as a student teacher maybe it would be under correct context. That would also give the student knowledge that you havent had say 13 14 years of experiance .. I have only had 7 Years of dance experiance and if you think about it its not enough to really say i am a teacher but it is definantly enough to start awareness and that is really all I am interested in doing .. I love teaching I was taking teaching in college for 2 years but an inncodent happened in a past marriage i had and i quit . Because of things I had no control over. But As I was saying teaching is beautiful. But it is nothing to play with the future of a person. But the classes I would have would be basic and mainly for awareness of the dance I have thought it over for a month and I believe an awareness class would be great. But nothing perminent and very instructional .. Something for fun rather then deep deep deep instructional interests. So As for me I am just an open dancer I want new things for a closed community.... I have asked many times maybe not in the right words how would you become recognized but I dont think many dancers know the answer to that question because they them selfs are not recognized so i closed that subject. I just want an open community to new things and if a small bi-weekly class for fun and awareness does it then great. But if it is offensive an idea to the real article teachers then i will not do so... Because i wouldnt want to offend or harm belly dance in no form. Thank you.:)

Shara

just a few thoughts on this thread

I would like to bring up just a few points:

1. Some people are natural dancers and have a natural instinct regardless of what country or culture they are from.

2. There is a difference in taking a weekly class for 2 years and total immersion. If I spend 6 to 8 hours a day in dance study for two years as compared to once a week for two years, I would say I had the better education.

3. Teaching in itself teaches the teacher. When you start teaching, you learn things that you would have been totally unaware of had you not started teaching. If you teach, you know this is true. It forces you to look at things differently, especially when you encounter students with physical limitations, and sometimes mental limitations.

4. Some people/places will not change. I am moving from where I live now because of that. That may be something to consider.

5. Spelling, punctuation and grammar are important in business. I, too, do not wish to be thought of as hoity toity, but you don't want people to think that you are below average intelligence. I was brought up in the South, and my mother would slap my mouth for a southern accent or saying "I ain't got"! I now thank her for that, because even today, people think you lack intelligence as soon as you open your mouth, if you have a southern accent.
My aunt is very intelligent, but people do not take her seriously until they truly know her. Her acquaintances rushed to her car to stand around and say, "Hi! We can't wait to hear you talk!" I asked, with my mid-western sounding accent, "Why do you want to hear me speak?" They were very disappointed to have not been entertained.

6. It is true that you must embody both the love for the dance AND the technicalities of the dance in order to be a good teacher. One thing I would like to point out is that you can be an excellent teacher in one style. You needn't know all of them to teach.... and don't teach a style that you do not know.

7. If someone asks a question that you do not know the answer to, say "I don't know! Let's look that up and see if we can find an answer!" Your students will respect you more for being honest and being able to admit that you do not know everything! It also demonstrates that learning this dance takes a lifetime!

8. No matter what anyone says, do NOT give up your love for the dance! Keep your passion! Keep your love for learning!

Shara

Back to the original question

Put an ad in the paper to do bellygrams in public venues (offices, restaurants, birthday parties, retirement parties). See if it is possible to participate in parades and local festivals. See if there is a local Society for Creative Anachronism and join if there is one. Talk to the Chamber of Commerce: perhaps you could join and host one of their coffees, during which you could make an educational and entertaining presentation.
Good luck! I know what you are dealing with!

JuliaBellyDance

I think it's very important to realize that no matter which method you choose, it will take time. You mentioned that you didn't have the time to organize an event in your area, but does that mean you will have time to teach, or market yourself in any effective way? You are looking to take on a pretty overwhelming task (to change the deep-rooted perspectives of a neighborhood, town, or whichever size geographical area) and it will take lots of hard work and persistence, and cannot be done in a few hours or days. There is no quick road to recognition, no matter how popular or unpopular belly dancing is in your area. It takes hard work and passion. Many of us would have given up long ago if we had expected a quick answer to getting where we wanted to be. I wish you the best, and hope that you can be successful in spreading the joy of this dance.

dreamkitaro

I am seeing some good advice being posted here for Nur Al Leyali.
Aisha Azur, I think you are being a bit harse and judgemental.
An ancient Chinese proverb says, “You can't understand until you walk a mile in someone else's shoes." I work with people who have many years experience and new ones without much experience. Both can be good and bad. People with not so much experience have something that sometimes people who have been doing their job for awhile lose: drive, enthusiasm., the can do spirt. That's important. Aisha Azur, Nur Al is trying to make due the best she can in her situation. It is so easy to be JUDGEMENTAL in your situation. Please try to envision and walk in her shoes. Others in this forum, like Lizaj, just one example, have given good, encouraging advice. I don't get the impression that is all about the money for Nur Al. I get the impression that despite all the odds against her, she has a fighting spirit and a HUGE passion for bellydance. That this love and passion she has, she wants to share with others. She is trying by reaching out here to go about it the right way. As far as her reaction/comment to RUDE male, I would have reacted the same way. She didn't deserve to be treated that way. Best of luck to you Nur Al.

Samira_dncr

I understand your point, A'isha, but stand by my own. One cannot assume a teacher with only a few years experience is going to be incompetant and should automatically be avoided.

I agree with Shanazel on this one. Something is better than nothing. Even if you end up re-learning stuff later, it's still better than nothing at all.

Additionally, teaching is one of the best ways to solidify your own knowledge. Being required to explain what you are doing to another gives you a much stronger understanding of what/why you are doing something.

Besides, all teachers have to start somewhere. When a situation isn't ideal, then you sometimes have to make due with what you have.

I highly recommend taking a teacher certification course. It's not required, but it would definitely give you a plan and a better understanding of the business/marketing aspects. Taaj has a course that you can take, and I believe you can purchase one section at a time.

The Belly Dance Trainer Certification Program

Samira_dncr

Aisha Azur, I think you are being a bit harsh and judgemental.

I don't think that Aisha Azur is being judgemental. She's a professional with years of experience and a passion for the dance beyond what most people will ever achieve in a lifetime.

An ancient Chinese proverb says, “You can't understand until you walk a mile in someone else's shoes."

I think that this is equally applicable to Aisha as well. She really just doesn't want to see the dance represented poorly. And that is completely understandable. She's been around a long time and has probably witnessed a fair number of horrific things that have damaged the reputation of the dance. I get this. I, myself, have been dancing 18 years, and I've seen enough things in our belly dance world that are shockingly embarrassing, especially in terms of the ways we present ourselves.

When a new dancer/professional REACTS to a "rude male", then it hurts our cause. Regardless of how tactless an inquiring individual can be, it is the job of the professional dancer to stay calm, take a breath, and reply in a professional way. Any other response will only serve to antagonize the potential patron and damage the reputation of every professional dancer out there.

If the potential client is so outrageously rude that you can't keep your cool, then the best course of action is to politely exit the conversation. "I wish you the best and hope you find the perfect entertainer for your event."

I think Aisha Azur has excellent advice, and as long as you read her posts with that perspective you won't see her as being judgemental or harsh. I see her as a strong woman with strong views. Her perspective is valid and she's trying to paint an honest perspective to a less experienced dancer.

Do I agree with everything she says? Nope. I don't particularly feel that Nur Al Leyali should avoid teaching altogether. So we differ on this perspective. But that doesn't mean that I don't respect her position.

Truthfully, I think Nur Al Leyali understands that Aisha Azur is giving her great advice and doesn't feel attacked or judged.