Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

These issues of discrimination are definitely true - i remember at the company i used to dance with, one of the girls very rarely got to perform because she didn't have the right "image" and the director suggested she buy a wig. She did - it was long and straight as opposed to her short twisted natural hair.
    I was not impressed. I was less impressed that she bought it.

Post Thanks / Like

How sad.
    really...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aisha Azar View Post
    Dear Makeda,
    The biggest prejudices I have found among dancers are more aimed at weight and age as opposed to race. Of course, I do look like a white person, so I may have not been aware..... And a dance company that I belonged to some 30 years ago also had dancers that were not white. I may not have realized we were unique. Frankly, I can't imagine anyone not being inspired by Lotus and company. One of my favorite performances at the Fifi event in Texas!
    Regards,
    A'isha
    Aw, thanks. But I'm sure there are plenty of folks who aren't particularly inspired by us. Which is just fine with me, actually.

Post Thanks / Like

That was a great article! I've seen some of Ahava's performances on youtube and I'm always blown away with her grace, beauty and style. She really does become the music!
    I agree with her assessmant of entering competitions to learn more about the dance. I entered a contest last year and took Second Place out of four top quality dancers. It served as an objective appreciation of my contribution to the dance...but the commentary from the judges is the REAL award!! Just like Ahava, I spend a lot of time listening to the music..it guides my inner consciousness to choose the right costume and moves for the dance.

As an African-American dancer,I can say that I haven't dealt with hardly any bias when I've peformed privately or publicly. I think I fit right in with the 'exotic ideal' that the dance represents to Joe Public.
    Although, like Ahava, I will choose costumes with vivid colors or white/silver because they are gorgeous against my skin. And on stage with dark lights and a dark backdrop, I want to be seen.
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

Great interview Salome !!!
    Thanks for sharing with all of us !!

Maria Aya

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12