Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Default oh, something I found!

Sorry this looks like a double post, but today I was looking at some posts.

I found this topic about belly dance moves:

http://www.bellydanceforums.net/othe...nce-moves.html

I was curious, went on the link, and found a big list of moves. But I also like what another poster wrote about combinations, so I've linked the topic rather than the other page to the list.

Hope this also helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AmbitiousBelly View Post
    Ok, I'm just skipping all the pages, and answering you original poster. . . But if I'm honest, I don't want to take classes because a)I'm unemployed and can't afford it, b) don't want to go into a class as a beginner and have that self conscious and vunerable feeling, . . . And I don't care if anyone has an opinion about this, because I'm trying to learn it the way that appeals to me, even if it isn't ideal and takes me 20 times longer to learn.
    I am going to try and craft my response carefully.

Would you attempt to learn to drive solely by researching it on the internet? Or to learn how to ride a bike in this manner? How about flying a plane? Did your mother take you out of the womb and pop you in front of a monitor saying, "Well, that should suitably replace me!"?

I should hope not, because a virtual experience is not the same as an instructional experience. It takes the skill and guidance of another with more experience to guide you, and more importantly, to keep you from hurting yourself (or hurting others).

Based on your "don't care" comment, I doubt this will mean much to you. However, I hope that others who read this will be more open minded and realize that attempting to learn anything solely by attempting to recreate a vicarious experience is futile, dangerous, and hardly advisable as a best practice.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down if that's how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Anala View Post
    I am going to try and craft my response carefully.

Would you attempt to learn to drive solely by researching it on the internet? Or to learn how to ride a bike in this manner? How about flying a plane? Did your mother take you out of the womb and pop you in front of a monitor saying, "Well, that should suitably replace me!"?

I should hope not, because a virtual experience is not the same as an instructional experience. It takes the skill and guidance of another with more experience to guide you, and more importantly, to keep you from hurting yourself (or hurting others).

Based on your "don't care" comment, I doubt this will mean much to you. However, I hope that others who read this will be more open minded and realize that attempting to learn anything solely by attempting to recreate a vicarious experience is futile, dangerous, and hardly advisable as a best practice.
    I knew I'd get a response like this.

I don't learn everything from the internet.

I live in Scotland. It is not the Capital of belly dancing. In fact, there is only 1 shop in Edinburgh that sells anything to do with belly dancing.

I've also explained why I don't take a class.

So if it seems that I'm angry at you for what you've said, regardless of "I am going to try and craft my response carefully." then I am sorry that you feel like that about what I felt was a careful and humble post to the original poster.

I stated at the beginning of my post to her that I'm starting to get interested in belly dancing. I haven't even called myself a beginner. I simply told her what I've been doing to try and learn moves. I seriously don't know what the big deal is about that.

I'm sorry that you're bothered about things like that even more than reply to the poster about help on drill practising.

The fact is, I am more baffled that everyone went on for 4 pages about the word *drill* than to help out the original poster. THEN, when I think that I've wrote a nice post, pointing out that I am researching and trying moves out on my own, and explaining why, I STILL get shot down. But I've noticed it's a trend. Let's be pernickity about a post and the wording more than talking about the dancing.

In fact, I've been quite dissapointed to have joined this forum, because of the stress about styles being given wrong names/purity of belly dancing, the annoyance at main stream *having a go* at belly dancing with examples like Shakira, and topics that I would have liked to have seen replies to being either replied to very little, ignored or overtaken by a completely different topic. I'm not saying that it's a COMPLETE disappointment, because it's a very well constructed and informative forum, but I actually feel that it's not worth coming on here to read or post anymore. Even though it's been such a short time that I've joined. Even when I have 10 times more questions now that I did when I joined.

I'm sorry if this bothers anyone. Even though it shouldn't be a hit to any particular person here, I'm sure it will sound like one.

Or maybe it is. Because for once I saw a really good topic and I decided that I'd skip the other topics people posted and reply to the original poster as best I could, only to get criticism. This site should be a celebration and welcoming of people wanting to learn and discover a common interest, not a way to put down, ridicule and be mean to people, especially if in the end they may not know better or have £55 for a 10 week workshop to spend and therefore doesn't deserve to EVER try belly dancing through other means. Well, who needs that?

I'm stopping this account. Bye.

Post Thanks / Like

In my own personal experience, I have never found a shortcut to improving technique which does consist of "drilling" the same moves over and over. I put in a CD that starts at intermediate level where they are doing the moves over and over again, and that helps my technique. Also, Jillina's DVD "Shape Up And Hip Out" has three different workouts which consist of doing combinations a lot and is on three different levels.

Post Thanks / Like

Jeez, some people just need to eat some chocolate and re-f'ing-lax. Heaven forbid what you post become part of a discussion on a discussion board.

Post Thanks / Like

Re-reading my post, I can see how it seemed like I may have gone far enough to single Ambitious out -- let me reinforce one of the points so that it is better tied to the OP:

Any student (including myself in this category), should be careful about how they practice on their own (and I include drilling in this category). The risks of performing any exercise repeatedly without a second and trained set of eyes are injury (ex: hurting your back by using a muscle incorrectly), ingraining poor muscle memory / technique via repetition (ex: using your back muscles to shimmy rather than the correct leg muscles), and creation of other bad habits (ex: the left wrist flicks during a vertical chest circle to the left). I have had all three of these consequences and examples happen to me because I attempted to do too much on my own without supervision.

I understand your frustration, Ambitious, having been poor many times in my own life. I am now racking my rain to think of ways to help you explore your love of the dance in a safe, but inexpensive manner -- bartering for classes may be an option, if there is a qualified teacher near you. Some would suggest posting videos of your progress (our own Farasha tried this) -- but I think you and I can agree that internet comments can be painful since they, too, can be mean spirited (which I really did not intend to be, I was genuinely worried that you would get hurt!) or otherwise misunderstood.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345