Hi ! you are all fantastic

bellerina

Hi ! I am from Indonesia currently living in Malaysia.

Just wanna say u guys have been fantastic in encouraging and helping newbie like me. I joined as member 4 mths ago when I just had my 1st belly fitness class. Belly dance wasn't even my passion at that time ! I had social Latin dance for 4 years but gotta stop cause male partners are so hard to find! But I still love dancing and I need to get slim, so belly dance seemed a good choice.

But after a few mths reading and following the tips from this forum, I became
1st in my class to master the moves of undulation, shimmy, etc. I am also slimmer and have more obvious waistline! I am in love with belly dance! So gals, I am here to stay.

Cheers!

Lotus Dancer

Hello and Welcome.
Is Bellydance popular in Malaysia? I'm sure they would have some beautiful Cultural Dance as well.
I've done w/shops inspired by Indonesian dance, they were beautiful.
Wow, and you have Latin experience as well.
It's nice to meet you.
Smiles to you from Down Under.
Lotus Dancer

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Welcome to the forum and bellydance:D Great to hear you are shaping up and toning as well and congrats on mastering undulations etc - sure sounds like we have another addict amongst us:lol:

My husband is from Malaysia (KL) and a very close friend is from Penang.
~Mosaic

Sita

Wow I'm really pleased for you sounds like your having a wonderful time and have been bitten by the bd bug too :) Welcome to the board your in the right place for belly dance fanatics!

Sita

bellerina

Gee..so nice to have 4 replies to my 1st posting.

Yes, belly dance is getting popular in Malaysia. Started a few years back but the standard here is yet to catch up w you gals. But taking up workshops from foreigners are getting popular. I just joined one from NIGMA (EL OASIS). Anyone heard of her? In fact, my frens here are talking about going tour to Eqypt esp for taking workshops, see performance & shops for belly dance costume. Any idea how i culd arrange dat?

Hi, Mosaic. If u happen to visit Penang, wud be happy to bring u around.

Just one last thing I wanna to add for this post, I recently took back my Latin class. This time is not social dancing but private lessons (on techniques)with professional instructor. I was amazed at how those belly dance moves help my rumba (shape 8) & other moves as well. Knowing how to use my muscles adds strength in my latin moves but yet I can still remain graceful. :clap: Another thumbs up for belly dance.

AngelaJP

Hi there Bellerina! Welcome to the family! You're just my neighbor, I'm in the Philippines now. Like you, I've been bitten by the BD bug too and crave to learn more and more :D If you visit the Philippines, you will find so many male dance instructors here for Latin/ballroom dancing as in a lot! And you're right, bd is very useful in ballroom dancing.

Bell, do you have many glittering BD costumes in Malaysia? I reckon that it would be cheaper if I have it mailed from a much nearer place. I wonder if Hongkong has some too. Can't seem to find any in the internet. I want to have my first bd costume, I don't know for where but I have an idea - surprise for someone ;)

Have fun, girl!

bellerina

Hi Angela! U look so sexy in ur album ;)

I just got my 1st BD costume from Dubai. A fren got it for me from Old Market. Dunno where i wud wear?

Not much shops selling costumes here. Some imported from Indonesia and China. Hip scarves normally are around US$12 and costumes vary depending on the quality. My fren had an extra top which she wanna sell me. I dunno how to put up pictures here. If u r interested, can check at her you tube posting (search: bellygrace). It is a new one which they bought extra for this competition.

R u in NZ now or Phillipines?

AngelaJP

Hi Bellerina!

Thank you for the compliments :) I actually could not believe and don't want to believe that I didn't wear a skirt under my coin scarf in the mini bellydance festival here. What did I know, I probably just had 6 bd lessons that time :confused: but it's part of my bd history and I love everything I experienced pertaining to belly dance.

I was told there are so many bellydance costumes in HK which are cheaper than having them made here. I'll just probably have one made here, still a lot cheaper than ordering online from the US, UK, Australia, etc. The hip scarves here are only US$4.50. I'm in the Philippines now and hoping to be in NZ by October or earlier.

Would love to see your new costumes from Dubai! To attach photos:

1) Scroll down your message window and click "Manage Attachments"
2) Choose the files from your computer to be uploaded, click "Upload"
3) Click "Submit Reply" found below "Manage Attachments".

Cheers!

Angela
a.k.a. Mallak el Yasmin