Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 43
  1. #31
    Super Moderator Mosaic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Melbourne Australia, but a Kiwi
    Posts
    8,291
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prince ali baba View Post
    I don't know what you mean by grok Zorba? We're all normal people it's just some of us have disabilities.
    To grok something according to the dictionary is to - understand profoundly through intuition or empathy.

    In Robert Heinlein's science-fiction novel of 1961, Stranger in a Strange Land, the word is Martian and literally means "to drink" but metaphorically means "to take it all in," to understand fully, or to "be at one with.

    If use in a sentence where someone says just grok it, or I'll grok it - it would like saying 'suck it up'

    Hope that helps those who want an explanation
    ~Mosaic

  2. #32
    Member prince ali baba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    98
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Asperger's Syndrome

    Quote Originally Posted by AngelaJP View Post
    Each person has his/her own disability, for sure! For you, it just happens to be communication and social interaction, which can be very well managed/solved, especially these days. My Asperger's student is very intelligent and excels in Science. I had to re-study the world almanac as that was his favorite!

    I think I have mild ADD myself
    Nope there's more to it than just communication and social interaction. It also causes my senses of smell and sound to be extra sensitive as well. Neither of which can be well managed or solved. Good for your student with Asperger's. Asperger's equating to high intelligence is a stereotype. I've read about the common misconceptions of Asperger's Syndrome. While there are some people with Aspies who are very intelligent,have special talents and excel in things like Math, Science or English, not all do. However I have also read up on how it takes people with Aspies longer to do things than it would for people without it. So the slowness of it is no very well managed/solved and I know that from experience of being slow and have Aspies. I also read about how it effects my gait. Yes that can be managed,but not neccessarily solved as in permanentally cured. My feet want to lay lopsided when I walk and feel better when I do that.

  3. #33
    Senior Member AngelaJP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Posts
    570
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prince ali baba View Post
    Nope there's more to it than just communication and social interaction. It also causes my senses of smell and sound to be extra sensitive as well. Neither of which can be well managed or solved. Good for your student with Asperger's. Asperger's equating to high intelligence is a stereotype. I've read about the common misconceptions of Asperger's Syndrome. While there are some people with Aspies who are very intelligent,have special talents and excel in things like Math, Science or English, not all do. However I have also read up on how it takes people with Aspies longer to do things than it would for people without it. So the slowness of it is no very well managed/solved and I know that from experience of being slow and have Aspies. I also read about how it effects my gait. Yes that can be managed,but not neccessarily solved as in permanentally cured. My feet want to lay lopsided when I walk and feel better when I do that.
    Yes, I agree, Ali Baba. Aside from communication and interaction, sensory integration is one of the characteristics difficult to manage and early intervention is most crucial for this. The kids with ASD now are luckier than those from your time because of all the research, understanding and various methods being presently applied. It can be managed, for sure, but will depend on many factors too. Each child with ASD will not always be on the same spectrum as another child with ASD that is why education and programs are individualized.

    I am curious. What Aspie characteristics have you somehow overcome or managed at this stage? Is your ASD considered mild?

  4. #34
    Member prince ali baba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    98
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Asperger's Syndrome Symptoms

    Quote Originally Posted by AngelaJP View Post
    Yes, I agree, Ali Baba. Aside from communication and interaction, sensory integration is one of the characteristics difficult to manage and early intervention is most crucial for this. The kids with ASD now are luckier than those from your time because of all the research, understanding and various methods being presently applied. It can be managed, for sure, but will depend on many factors too. Each child with ASD will not always be on the same spectrum as another child with ASD that is why education and programs are individualized.

    I am curious. What Aspie characteristics have you somehow overcome or managed at this stage? Is your ASD considered mild?
    Well when I was really young I would bang my head against walls and windows. Somehow I overcame those either from my brother picking on me about it. Or there was some other reason I can't think of. For the longest time I would walk on my tiptoes and on the sides of my feet. That took special P.E. classes to get over although at times my right foot wants to move to it's left side towards the ground. I also used to sleep with my butt in mid air as a toddler,but again somehow I overcame that. I still fixate on unimportant things which I know better not to verbalise in public,but I still verbalise at home to my mom. She gets mad when I ask her if she wants to pet the cat or dog for example. Also I've gotten fixated on being the baby of the family,but again these I don't verbalise outside of the home. Mom says I know better,but that those are just fixations and I don't do them in public. Which she is right about since I do neither in public.

  5. #35
    Moderator Shanazel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Rocky Mountains USA
    Posts
    15,160
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If use in a sentence where someone says just grok it, or I'll grok it - it would like saying 'suck it up'
    Separated by a common language again. I work for an attorney who did his Master's thesis in English on Robert Heinlein. According to this person (any wonder why he went on to law school with a background like that?) to grok is to take in the full essence and meaning of something on a level that is spiritual, physical, etc. etc.

    If you say "suck it up" in many places in the US, it is generally a rather rude way of telling someone to not be a whiner. In Wyoming, we tell each other to "Cowboy Up." "Sucking it up" can also indicate greediness.

    Gee, I love this forum.

    Thank you for sharing with us, Ali Baba. How did you become interested in belly dance? Or did you already tell us that and it slid through my admittedly porous brain?

  6. #36
    Member prince ali baba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    98
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default How'd I become interested in belly dancing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Separated by a common language again. I work for an attorney who did his Master's thesis in English on Robert Heinlein. According to this person (any wonder why he went on to law school with a background like that?) to grok is to take in the full essence and meaning of something on a level that is spiritual, physical, etc. etc.

    If you say "suck it up" in many places in the US, it is generally a rather rude way of telling someone to not be a whiner. In Wyoming, we tell each other to "Cowboy Up." "Sucking it up" can also indicate greediness.

    Gee, I love this forum.

    Thank you for sharing with us, Ali Baba. How did you become interested in belly dance? Or did you already tell us that and it slid through my admittedly porous brain?
    I don't think I ever stated how I became interested in it. I'm not exactly sure how I became interested unless I fixated on it due to my Asperger's Syndrome. I know I heard a lot about female belly dancers performing locally from two of my folk dance teachers. They even had a female dancer friend of theirs perform for us once. I wanted to be the first male to belly dance too. LOL However I wouldn't be the first. LOL

  7. #37
    Senior Member AngelaJP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Posts
    570
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prince ali baba View Post
    Well when I was really young I would bang my head against walls and windows. Somehow I overcame those either from my brother picking on me about it. Or there was some other reason I can't think of. For the longest time I would walk on my tiptoes and on the sides of my feet. That took special P.E. classes to get over although at times my right foot wants to move to it's left side towards the ground. I also used to sleep with my butt in mid air as a toddler,but again somehow I overcame that..
    For someone who didn't have early intervention, you did quite well with sensory! It's good that you had special PE classes that time though. With the banging of the head, most of my ASD kids don't find it painful but stimulating or relieving or relaxing, as with rocking their body, tapping etc. Sleeping with the butt in mid air, haha, that's cute, Ali Baba! I saw a really adorable kid do that while sleeping in the airport years ago. Aren't you glad you overcame that! Haha!

    Your fixations are now very well-managed too. So many people fixate on certain things. I think almost each person has a certain ASD or ADD or OCB, etc. characteristic.

    Hope you'll show us your best belly dance move!
    Last edited by AngelaJP; 12-17-2008 at 08:11 AM. Reason: spelling!

  8. #38
    Moderator Shanazel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Rocky Mountains USA
    Posts
    15,160
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm not exactly sure how I became interested unless I fixated on it due to my Asperger's Syndrome.
    Honey, it doesn't take Asperger's Syndrome to fixate on belly dance. Must be some unrecognized kind of propensity for belly dance mania that affects us all. Glad you share it with the rest of us. Hmmm, perhaps I could write a very learned paper on the subject of belly dance fixation and it would become known as Shanazel's Syndrome. Unfortunately, I am not particularly learned on the subject of psychology or any related field.

    You started out as a folk dancer? Cool.

  9. #39
    Member Selene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    71
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    So I know this post is a century old but I know who the sister of Al hassan ameed is. Her name is Mia Shauri and she is wonderful, one of my favorite dancers.

    https://youtu.be/liMHbLRUGD
    That video is from the same show that Al Hassan was in she is just great and after meeting her and seen her perform live twice I can onky say she is in my top 5!

    And I will be showing Al's videos to my kids class in the summer camp! They will see how amazing boys can dance and will be happy when they knoe he is puertorrican

  10. #40
    Member prince ali baba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    98
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    So I know this post is a century old but I know who the sister of Al hassan ameed is. Her name is Mia Shauri and she is wonderful, one of my favorite dancers.

    https://youtu.be/liMHbLRUGD
    That video is from the same show that Al Hassan was in she is just great and after meeting her and seen her perform live twice I can onky say she is in my top 5!

    And I will be showing Al's videos to my kids class in the summer camp! They will see how amazing boys can dance and will be happy when they knoe he is puertorrican
    Whoa! It's been awhile since this thread had any one commenting in it,but got an email showing a comment had been made. What happened to the youtube video? I tried to play it,but either youtube pulled it or whoever uploaded the video deleted it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •