Male Belly Dance Competition...

prince ali baba

Male Phobia In Teenage Years

I'm impressed. Being that he's so young, he has a great chance of retaining that wonderful fluidity and smoothness that many males lack. Hope he sticks to it, and doesn't develop some stupid kind of male phobia in his teens - he can only get better. I wish I'd started at his age!
I think he would more likely have to deal with male phobias from other kids at school. Boys usually get picked on when they do things like dance and choir at school. He would more likely have to deal with homophobic comments from other kids at school once he gets to be a teen.

khanjar

Interesting thing about those that seem keen to dish out homophobic comments to others, often it is they who have an insecurity about it. If it got around that those that seem quick to label and ridicule are perhaps the ones with the problem, it might actually silence them as comments made would shift the focus onto their own insecurity.

Is it also interesting that it is the male of the species that seems to be the keenest to publically ridicule another as to their personal life.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I think he would more likely have to deal with male phobias from other kids at school. Boys usually get picked on when they do things like dance and choir at school. He would more likely have to deal with homophobic comments from other kids at school once he gets to be a teen.

Exactly. I really wish I'd been kept away/protected from other kids more than I was as a child. Its taken me a lifetime to get over the damage...

prince ali baba

Other Kids

Exactly. I really wish I'd been kept away/protected from other kids more than I was as a child. Its taken me a lifetime to get over the damage...
You and me both. I stayed away from things like choir and dance until I was more than half way through high school. I know when I was in Elementary school we had choir,but no dance classes. Not that many boys were into it,so that caused me to chicken out of it. Plus I had to deal with bullying being so short and having mild autism which was believed to be A.D.D. at the time. Nobody knew what was or much about autism during the 1980s and 90s.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Well you mean you have mild autism. We don't want to label people as being their illness or disability. You might just have ASD:Autism Spectrum Disorder.

Yea - but I don't really call it a "disorder" - I certainly don't grok the thought processes of NTs (Neuro-Typicals, i.e. "normal" folks!)...

prince ali baba

Grok?

Yea - but I don't really call it a "disorder" - I certainly don't grok the thought processes of NTs (Neuro-Typicals, i.e. "normal" folks!)...

I don't know what you mean by grok Zorba? We're all normal people it's just some of us have disabilities.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I don't know what you mean by grok Zorba? We're all normal people it's just some of us have disabilities.
Hmmm. 'Grok'.... If you don't know, no explanation is possible, if you do know, no explanation is necessary...

Anyway, in NO way do I see Aspberger's or other mild Autism "disorders" as a disability - quite the opposite!

AngelaJP

Each person has his/her own disability, for sure! For you, it just happens to be communication and social interaction, which can be very well managed/solved, especially these days. My Asperger's student is very intelligent and excels in Science. I had to re-study the world almanac as that was his favorite! :shok:

I think I have mild ADD myself :D

Mosaic

Super Moderator

To grok something according to the dictionary is to - understand profoundly through intuition or empathy.

In Robert Heinlein's science-fiction novel of 1961, Stranger in a Strange Land, the word is Martian and literally means "to drink" but metaphorically means "to take it all in," to understand fully, or to "be at one with.

If use in a sentence where someone says just grok it, or I'll grok it - it would like saying 'suck it up'

Hope that helps those who want an explanation:D
~Mosaic

prince ali baba

Asperger's Syndrome

Each person has his/her own disability, for sure! For you, it just happens to be communication and social interaction, which can be very well managed/solved, especially these days. My Asperger's student is very intelligent and excels in Science. I had to re-study the world almanac as that was his favorite! :shok:

I think I have mild ADD myself :D

Nope there's more to it than just communication and social interaction. It also causes my senses of smell and sound to be extra sensitive as well. Neither of which can be well managed or solved. Good for your student with Asperger's. Asperger's equating to high intelligence is a stereotype. I've read about the common misconceptions of Asperger's Syndrome. While there are some people with Aspies who are very intelligent,have special talents and excel in things like Math, Science or English, not all do. However I have also read up on how it takes people with Aspies longer to do things than it would for people without it. So the slowness of it is no very well managed/solved and I know that from experience of being slow and have Aspies. I also read about how it effects my gait. Yes that can be managed,but not neccessarily solved as in permanentally cured. My feet want to lay lopsided when I walk and feel better when I do that.

AngelaJP

Nope there's more to it than just communication and social interaction. It also causes my senses of smell and sound to be extra sensitive as well. Neither of which can be well managed or solved. Good for your student with Asperger's. Asperger's equating to high intelligence is a stereotype. I've read about the common misconceptions of Asperger's Syndrome. While there are some people with Aspies who are very intelligent,have special talents and excel in things like Math, Science or English, not all do. However I have also read up on how it takes people with Aspies longer to do things than it would for people without it. So the slowness of it is no very well managed/solved and I know that from experience of being slow and have Aspies. I also read about how it effects my gait. Yes that can be managed,but not neccessarily solved as in permanentally cured. My feet want to lay lopsided when I walk and feel better when I do that.

Yes, I agree, Ali Baba. Aside from communication and interaction, sensory integration is one of the characteristics difficult to manage and early intervention is most crucial for this. The kids with ASD now are luckier than those from your time because of all the research, understanding and various methods being presently applied. It can be managed, for sure, but will depend on many factors too. Each child with ASD will not always be on the same spectrum as another child with ASD that is why education and programs are individualized.

I am curious. What Aspie characteristics have you somehow overcome or managed at this stage? Is your ASD considered mild?

prince ali baba

Asperger's Syndrome Symptoms

Yes, I agree, Ali Baba. Aside from communication and interaction, sensory integration is one of the characteristics difficult to manage and early intervention is most crucial for this. The kids with ASD now are luckier than those from your time because of all the research, understanding and various methods being presently applied. It can be managed, for sure, but will depend on many factors too. Each child with ASD will not always be on the same spectrum as another child with ASD that is why education and programs are individualized.

I am curious. What Aspie characteristics have you somehow overcome or managed at this stage? Is your ASD considered mild?

Well when I was really young I would bang my head against walls and windows. Somehow I overcame those either from my brother picking on me about it. Or there was some other reason I can't think of. For the longest time I would walk on my tiptoes and on the sides of my feet. That took special P.E. classes to get over although at times my right foot wants to move to it's left side towards the ground. I also used to sleep with my butt in mid air as a toddler,but again somehow I overcame that. I still fixate on unimportant things which I know better not to verbalise in public,but I still verbalise at home to my mom. She gets mad when I ask her if she wants to pet the cat or dog for example. Also I've gotten fixated on being the baby of the family,but again these I don't verbalise outside of the home. Mom says I know better,but that those are just fixations and I don't do them in public. Which she is right about since I do neither in public.

Shanazel

If use in a sentence where someone says just grok it, or I'll grok it - it would like saying 'suck it up'

Separated by a common language again. I work for an attorney who did his Master's thesis in English on Robert Heinlein. According to this person (any wonder why he went on to law school with a background like that?) to grok is to take in the full essence and meaning of something on a level that is spiritual, physical, etc. etc.

If you say "suck it up" in many places in the US, it is generally a rather rude way of telling someone to not be a whiner. In Wyoming, we tell each other to "Cowboy Up." "Sucking it up" can also indicate greediness.

Gee, I love this forum.:D

Thank you for sharing with us, Ali Baba. How did you become interested in belly dance? Or did you already tell us that and it slid through my admittedly porous brain?

prince ali baba

How'd I become interested in belly dancing?

Separated by a common language again. I work for an attorney who did his Master's thesis in English on Robert Heinlein. According to this person (any wonder why he went on to law school with a background like that?) to grok is to take in the full essence and meaning of something on a level that is spiritual, physical, etc. etc.

If you say "suck it up" in many places in the US, it is generally a rather rude way of telling someone to not be a whiner. In Wyoming, we tell each other to "Cowboy Up." "Sucking it up" can also indicate greediness.

Gee, I love this forum.:D

Thank you for sharing with us, Ali Baba. How did you become interested in belly dance? Or did you already tell us that and it slid through my admittedly porous brain?
I don't think I ever stated how I became interested in it. I'm not exactly sure how I became interested unless I fixated on it due to my Asperger's Syndrome. I know I heard a lot about female belly dancers performing locally from two of my folk dance teachers. They even had a female dancer friend of theirs perform for us once. I wanted to be the first male to belly dance too. LOL However I wouldn't be the first. LOL

AngelaJP

Well when I was really young I would bang my head against walls and windows. Somehow I overcame those either from my brother picking on me about it. Or there was some other reason I can't think of. For the longest time I would walk on my tiptoes and on the sides of my feet. That took special P.E. classes to get over although at times my right foot wants to move to it's left side towards the ground. I also used to sleep with my butt in mid air as a toddler,but again somehow I overcame that..

For someone who didn't have early intervention, you did quite well with sensory! It's good that you had special PE classes that time though. With the banging of the head, most of my ASD kids don't find it painful but stimulating or relieving or relaxing, as with rocking their body, tapping etc. Sleeping with the butt in mid air, haha, that's cute, Ali Baba! I saw a really adorable kid do that while sleeping in the airport years ago. Aren't you glad you overcame that! Haha!

Your fixations are now very well-managed too. So many people fixate on certain things. I think almost each person has a certain ASD or ADD or OCB, etc. characteristic.

Hope you'll show us your best belly dance move! ;)

Last edited:

Shanazel

I'm not exactly sure how I became interested unless I fixated on it due to my Asperger's Syndrome.

Honey, it doesn't take Asperger's Syndrome to fixate on belly dance. Must be some unrecognized kind of propensity for belly dance mania that affects us all. Glad you share it with the rest of us. Hmmm, perhaps I could write a very learned paper on the subject of belly dance fixation and it would become known as Shanazel's Syndrome. Unfortunately, I am not particularly learned on the subject of psychology or any related field. :(

You started out as a folk dancer? Cool.

Selene

So I know this post is a century old but I know who the sister of Al hassan ameed is. Her name is Mia Shauri and she is wonderful, one of my favorite dancers.

https://youtu.be/liMHbLRUGD
That video is from the same show that Al Hassan was in :) she is just great and after meeting her and seen her perform live twice I can onky say she is in my top 5!

And I will be showing Al's videos to my kids class in the summer camp! They will see how amazing boys can dance and will be happy when they knoe he is puertorrican

prince ali baba

So I know this post is a century old but I know who the sister of Al hassan ameed is. Her name is Mia Shauri and she is wonderful, one of my favorite dancers.

https://youtu.be/liMHbLRUGD
That video is from the same show that Al Hassan was in :) she is just great and after meeting her and seen her perform live twice I can onky say she is in my top 5!

And I will be showing Al's videos to my kids class in the summer camp! They will see how amazing boys can dance and will be happy when they knoe he is puertorrican

Whoa! It's been awhile since this thread had any one commenting in it,but got an email showing a comment had been made. What happened to the youtube video? I tried to play it,but either youtube pulled it or whoever uploaded the video deleted it.