workshops

mickeyxena

Hi
Just a question
can intermediate bellydance students go for workshops. Or its a bad idea?
Also do you guys join other schools to learn bellydance again after graduating from one?

jenc

It's always a good idea to learn from more than one source - you will get new ideas. you don't want to become a clone of your teacher

Aniseteph

Workshops here usually have some sort of indication how much experience is needed.

The tricky bit is that one teacher's intermediate is another's one-step-up-from-new-beginner. Or even advanced... :rolleyes:

Kashmir

Hi
Just a question
can intermediate bellydance students go for workshops. Or its a bad idea?
Also do you guys join other schools to learn bellydance again after graduating from one?
Mmm, exactly what is an intermediate student? After 17 years, I usually put myself in that category ;) (assuming only three levels - beginner, intermediate, advanced)

Realistically, it would depend on the workshop. There are workshops that are suitable for (low) intermediate - even beginner - students. If the workshop is aimed at a level you are actually at - no probs. It it is aimed above your level and you are not going to slow the class down - ditto (I'm going to Randa's workshop in Sydney knowing (hoping) it is going to be aimed way above my level - I intend to stay in the back and not ask questions that those the workshop is aimed at do know)

Getting information from someone other than your day to day teacher can be reallty useful. Be realistic. Be willing to come away with just one or two things from the workshop. If there is a choreography and it is less than a 5 hour workshop and your are not one of the natural choreo-pickupers - don't expect to walk out with a choreography - just accept a few new combinations and a different way to approach the music.

Enjoy. Go for it.

Aniseteph

Be willing to come away with just one or two things from the workshop. If there is a choreography and it is less than a 5 hour workshop and your are not one of the natural choreo-pickupers - don't expect to walk out with a choreography - just accept a few new combinations and a different way to approach the music.

:clap: That is excellent advice. As an aspiring intermediate and definite non-choreo pickuper I'm happy even just to pick up vibes and watch and listen to awesome dancers closer up.

Tezirah

If you come away with two or three new ideas, then I'd say the workshop's definitely been a success, but one thing I would advise is making notes. I didn't do this the first time and although I came out really pleased with what (I thought) I had learned, after a week I couldn't remember half of it. Now I always frantically scribble down reminders after every session (or even during water breaks) and translate it into English when I get home.

TribalDancer

I have never heard of "graduating" from bellydance! That's a new one on me. Guess I am a very slow learner, because I never plan to graduate! :)

Jane

If you come away with two or three new ideas, then I'd say the workshop's definitely been a success, but one thing I would advise is making notes. I didn't do this the first time and although I came out really pleased with what (I thought) I had learned, after a week I couldn't remember half of it. Now I always frantically scribble down reminders after every session (or even during water breaks) and translate it into English when I get home.

You're right about taking notes! Also, if you have a video camra, film yourself doing what you learned when you get home. Don't bother asking to film the teacher, they will most likely say no. They may have a video for sale that demonstrates what you learned in the workshop.

SidraK

So, I'm taking a workshop from Tito in Calgary next month. Has anyone done a session with him before? Any tips as to his teaching style? I know his English is minimal, but other than that have no background on him!

teela

I took a workshop with Tito. It was a choreography workshop and I had no problem doing it. It was the standard follow the bouncing butt and keep repeating parts and adding more. There was someone to translate explanations about the words and some movements. Overall, I had no problems following him.

gisela

Super Moderator
I also took a choreo-workshop with him this summer. I thougt he was quite a good teacher despite not talking much. His movements were very clear and he repeated until he thought people got it.