Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Feet and style

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with A'isha Azar. Recently I have found myself doing more dancing on the flat of my feet simply because I have developed a plantar fascia problem (grrrrr). I like my students to learn to do movements such as maya flat footed before they learn the same movement half pointe, simply because then they are not so inclined to use their knees and feet instead of their muscles to drive the movement.

I couldn't dance in heels to save my sole- er, my soul.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Hello all
    If you wear high heels a lot you can end up with shortened Achilles tendons (I think), which makes it difficult to put you feet flat.
    Hey Tim'ema, your story about the doctor rings a bell. When I was little I they said I had fallen arches, and my "cure" was to scrunch up unrolled bandages and pick up marbles with my toes. I didn't do it that much and my mum didn't push it, so have gone a long time believing my arches to be a dead loss. But recently I had foot surgery and mentioned it to my GP and he said that was all a load of rubbish and I HAVE got arches. So much for medical expertise...
    And Shanazel - if it's plantar fasciitis you've got, I sympathise deeply -ow ow ow.

Wow my feet sound rubbish don't they?

Back on thread - we do many moves both flat footed and on balls of feet - depends on the music, how fast the move is, is it travelling etc. And depends on how far along the learning curve we are - Egyptian walk without picking up the heels? One day....

(but I can shimmy for England in high heels! can't walk in 'em though, let alone dance...)
    Last edited by Aniseteph; 09-11-2006 at 07:01 PM. Reason: PS

Post Thanks / Like

Plantar fasciitis. Maybe that's the term the doctor used. If that's where your heel feels like it is badly bruised, that's it.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph
    If you wear high heels a lot you can end up with shortened Achilles tendons (I think), which makes it difficult to put you feet flat.
    And shortened calf muscles too :eek:

Post Thanks / Like

Not to mention broken ankles when you finally fall off the high heels. (To misquote my favorite biker: there are two kinds of high heel wearers, those who have fallen and those who are going to fall.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Plantar fasciitis. Maybe that's the term the doctor used. If that's where your heel feels like it is badly bruised, that's it.
    I had it on the ball of my foot . It got better eventually with as-much-rest-as-possible and anti-inflammatory tablets...
    Hope you are on the road to recovery.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, years of high heels and a habit of sitting with my feet under me have shortened and tightened the muscles/ligaments/things-that-move in my legs, pulling my kneecap out of alignment (OUCH!!). Some stretches you're only meant to feel in your thigh I can feel pulling all the way down to the soles of my feet!

It's hard, but I'm slowly getting better at keeping my heels flat when dancing. Or I'm not getting told off for it as much.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    I had it on the ball of my foot . It got better eventually with as-much-rest-as-possible and anti-inflammatory tablets...
    Hope you are on the road to recovery.
    Yup - to be specific it's a piece of fascia that runs from the heel to the ball of the foot. It's big and it's tough. If worse comes to worse it can be cut to release it a bit as the problem is usually due to it's being too tight.

Been there and it took forever but runners get it all the time :eek:

Post Thanks / Like

I cut back on my walking for a couple of weeks (I usually walk 4 miles 5-6 days a week, which takes about an hour) and my heel is much better. My disposition is worse, but my heel is better. My first fall dance classes started last night and it didn't bother me at all. Now I get to pick the walking back up, which means I'll notice that I haven't walked enough in the last two weeks, which will in turn sour my disposition more. Sigh, and I'm usually such a sweetie .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    ............Hey Tim'ema, your story about the doctor rings a bell. When I was little I they said I had fallen arches, and my "cure" was to scrunch up unrolled bandages and pick up marbles with my toes. I didn't do it that much and my mum didn't push it, so have gone a long time believing my arches to be a dead loss. But recently I had foot surgery and mentioned it to my GP and he said that was all a load of rubbish and I HAVE got arches. So much for medical expertise......
    ~~I'm starting to think I'll give up on doctors and get all my health advice from GOOGLE! LOL!!...then again, my computer can't put a tongue depressor in my mouth! ~~

The up side is, walking in stiletto heels for me is second nature because it's how I walk anyway. hmm....contemplates possible connection to chiropractic problems...

AT

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast