Thread: Hello Everyone!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hello Everyone!

Hello,
    My name is Rie and I have reading here for a while and decided to join this morning because everyone seems so very nice! I am an absolute beginner when it it comes to Oriental dance, though I have been dancing my own cultures dances for my entire life (I am Native American). I also studied Ballet for 10 years, along with Tap, Jazz and Modern Dance. I am a Martial Arts instructor as well, but dancing is really my first love. Everyone in my family starts dancing as soon as they can walk.
    I first became interested in Oriental dance when my mother started taking classes in the DC area several years ago and was teaching me some of the basics. When she passed away in January of 2006, it was too much of a reminder of her for me to try to continue with it until recently. In the last month or so, I picked up BD again, mostly as a new way to keep myself in shape, but also because my mother so loved it and it now makes me feel connected to her. Where I live, the only classes I have been able to find in my immediate area are through the parks and recreation programs, so I have been working with videos (LOTS of videos) and Fit TVs' series "Shimmy". If I can find classes somewhere close (within 2 hours drive) I would love to take real classes, so if anyone can help me make a connection with a teacher in Virginia or DC, please help. In the meantime, I will probably be asking a million questions!
    Oh yeah-I also have my own on-line store selling cosmetics if anyone is interested. The URL is in my profile.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, welcome!

Sounds like with your dance background, you'll be learning fast and making a splash.

For classes, try the directory at Shira.net - there are tons of listings there. You might also start another post here with that in the title, as that might get more response for you. I know there are several great dancers in your area but don't know who's teaching.

You CAN learn and grow as a dancer via video, but live classes are great if you can find a good teacher.

Let me know if I can help you on your journey in any way

Enjoy the dance!

Jana "Amira"
    Essence of Egypt Dance School
    www.howtobellydance.com

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum, Rie! You're going to love it here

I have no dance background (except for occasional ballroom dancing years ago) at all and just started belly dance at age 39, last year, and with a 6month lull at that, haha!

With your dance background, for sure, you'll be able to learn belly dance so fast. Dancing's in your blood, I envy you.

Cheers!
    Angela

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome. there are a lot of teachers in the DC/Virginia area. I hope you find one you like. I do some native dances locally when we have something to celebrate in school. I need to get back to going to local practices. I know you'll enjoy being here as it is a fountain of information.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome and wow!!!!!
    Your dance experience sounds amazing.
    How wonderful is it that your mother danced. I have just got tear's in my eyes. What a beautiful way to stay connected to your mum. It's a very special gift you 2 will always share.
    Welcome again.
    Lotus Dancer

I have 3 girls, one's name is Cheyenne, De-koda (liked dakota, but changed it a little) and Loved Chenoa but at the last moment called her Kiarah, but her middle name is Sioux-lin.
    Everyone comments on there names.

I would love to see some of your cultural dance. Please, if you have any, can you post it.
    Lotus Dancer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank You!

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome!
    Yes dance is definately in the blood, though Native Tribal dancing is very different from Oriental-there is so much more to do in Oriental dance!
    I don't have any video of my Powwow (Native American) dancing but both of the photos I am using on my profile and avatar were taken last year at powwows. I don't seem to have any photos of myself where I am not in Regalia (the name for our Traditional clothing we wear to dance at powwow and ceremonies). I did find this one of me and my "grandson" (his mother has called me Mom for her entire life)-the sunglasses are hiding my eyes which were swollen and bruised from having cosmetic tattooing done on them the day before.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome in this wonderful forum !!!
    Enjoy reading and posting

Maria Aya, Athens Greece