Hi from Finland

sophia

Hello everyone!

Just found this site and it seems brilliant! I come from Finland and have been belly dancing for six years now. It is really addictive and makes you just want to learn more and more. I have been dancing in few different dance school having several different teachers. I've been dancing since I was 10 years old but for the last six years been just concentrating on belly dancing.

My first years of belly dancing I danced in a dance school that wasn't keen on techniques but just learning your own way of dancing and having fun. It was a good way to start but I think I've enjoyed more my recent dance school where we concentrate a lot in technique as well as just dancing. We also perform yearly.

I am moving to Manchester (UK) next year and am desperate to find a good dance school there. We have 5 levels in our dance school system and I'm dancing on the level 4 at the moment. It just seems to be really hard to find any dance schools in Manchester that give lessons for people who feel ambitious about dancing. Lot of the dance schools seem to give mainly lessons for the beginners and the other half seems to concentrate on Gypsy dancing or Fusion and the other new dance styles. I'd like to study traditional Egyptian and/or Turkish belly dancing like Raqs sharqi, balady... If anyone knows any places in Manchester that are good for learning more belly dancing I'd be really really grateful!!!

Lotus Dancer

Hello and Welcome.
Good Luck with finding the school your after.
There are lot's of Ladies from that area around the Forum who can help.
Smiles to you from Down Under.

jenc

Hi this is the best site, I know you will enjoy it. I only hope you don't get as obsessed as me

Maria_Aya

Welcome in this wonderful forum !!!
Enjoy reading and posting
and good luck for searching the best school for you !!!

Maria Aya, Athens Greece:)

AngelaJP

Welcome to the family, Sophia! I wish I was exposed to dance earlier in life like you. Being exposed to dancing intimately only late last year (not even with regular lessons), I am trying to learn rhythm and gaining grace which is a lot of work for me, haha!

Good luck on your new life in Manchester and in finding a good BD school teaching advanced lessons there! :D

lizaj

Oh Sophia the thorny issue of terms...advanced? mmmm beginner mmm
I count my self as an improving beginner with a few good intermediate moves..based on what ? The JWAAD standard. A Uk organisation and dance school.
I've been dancing more than 10 years and no way do I ever comptemplate "advanced". There are very few "advanced" classes in this country even though some may call themselves that so ..beware!
The two teachers karena and I mentioned on the other thread Kharis and Tracy Gibbs will fit your bill . Both are very accomplished and experienced dancers- teachers and performers.
yes come to JoY and you'll see and meet dedicated belly dancers and have fun!

sophia

Thanks a lot everyone! I don't consider myself being advanced... Nowhere near actually. :D We just happen to have 5 levels and there are a lot of people with different backgrounds and skills on each levels. I just wish to find a dance school that teaches other than just (even though going back to the basics is always good). But I'm sure I'll find what I was searching for from the teachers you mentioned so THANKS a LOT!!!!

Mosaic

Super Moderator
To the forum, nice to see another new face. I am sure you will enjoy being part of this circle of international friends.
~Mosaic

sophia

Hei,

Samoin. Sinusta ja urastasi olenkin kuullut tanssikoululla (Yasmine) paljon (hyvää). :) Oli mukavaa ajautua sattumalta tänne nyt kun Englantiin muutto laittoi etsimään sieltä päästä hyvää opettajaa. Avautuikin oikea informaation aarreaitta. :)

Moon

Yay for google translator :D It did a quite bad job translating everything literally but I think I got the main idea of what you were saying there :tongue:

Welcome!

sophia

:D That was clever! Thought that maybe it was a bit unfair writing in Finnish even for one post but didn't seem to matter. ;)

And thanks everyone for so warmly welcoming me here.