Recommend a Teacher??

Native Dancer

Hi Everyone,
I live just outside of Richmond, VA and the only classes I can find in the city itself are through the parks and recreation system-only the one class for beginners. This would work for me for a while, since I also study with one of my MANY videos for at least an hour every day, but I would really like to work with a teacher who is a professional. I'm quite willing to drive to the Tidewater (VA Beach, Hampton, Newport News) area, Fredericksburg or DC for classes, and I've found some online, but I guess since I am so new to this style of dance I'm concerned that I'll end up sinking money into lessons and then not be getting good instruction. Having studied Ballet for 10 years with the same teacher (who I adored) once I find someone I like and feel comfortable with, I'll stay with them as long as they will have me.
So, anyone know an instructor they can recommend? I have a list of names of schools and instructors that I found on the net, but I hesitate to list actual names here as I don't want to cause a problem for the Administrators of the board, but I can PM them.
Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks!

Native Dancer

This is one of the sites I looked at and was wondering about some the instructors listed, especially since she states that she has not reviewed their creditentials, so if anyone knows any of these teachers and can give me their opinion it would really help. I don't want to make a blind choice-it would be my luck to make the worst choice possible.LOL

PracticalDancer

Welcome to dancing in Richmond!

This is one of the sites I looked at and was wondering about some the instructors listed, especially since she states that she has not reviewed their creditentials, so if anyone knows any of these teachers and can give me their opinion it would really help. I don't want to make a blind choice-it would be my luck to make the worst choice possible.LOL

Native dancer, welcome to dancing in Richmond. When I read your request for assistance, I decided to join just this forum (after years of reading behind the scenes) so that I could offer advice. You are fortunate that there are so many wonderful teachers here, and most will allow you the freedom to choose a teacher who is right for you without guilt or questions. Here are some I have studied with over the last 7 years and whom I can personally recommend. Details on what they offer are based on my experiences -- so, this is my perspective, and others may have a different opinion.

Scheherezade teaches through Henrico parks and rec. She offers beginner, intermediate, and advanced courses, teaching small combinations and occasional choreography with historical context and insight.

Alaena teaches through Hanover county parks and rec as well as the Latin Ballet's Mountain Rd location. Her classes are listed as beginner, but range to intermediate, offering choreographies for performance, and she has a broad dance background including flamenco and ballet.

Najia teaches beginner and intermediate classes through Chesterfield parks and rec, focusing on combinations, especially for hips: shimmies, locks, steps.

Debby teaches beginner and some intermediate classes through the Latin Ballet's southside location and offers fun choreographies ranging from traditional to fusion and intended for performance.

Zitana teaches courses through various places, including some "curves" locations.

And, there are so many, many, other teaches that I have not had a chance to study extensively with them all. (In fact, I may have forgotten to list some of my teachers here, there are so many!) Some teach scheduled courses; some only teach workshops and private lessons. I hope this list gives you a good start.

Enjoy!

Amira_116

Hi Rie,

Also, you might consider taking classes from more than one teacher at the same time - teachers know students will come and go, and you may find something of value in one class, but once you've learned it it's time to move on to a different teacher. I have lots of students I've suggested take from someone else too.

You can also look for workshops by different teachers - that can be a great way to find someone you really click with.

Hope that helps.

Amira