More talented????????

Nur Al Leyali

Is it just me or do male dancers just seem more talented then female dancers????? I mean I have done some comparisons and I see some real Movements from the core in males that are not in females unless they are extremely well known. And it seems to me that the moves are more difficult for males to learn also. And if thats so isnt that the males are learning it in muscle memory rather then just memory? because it seems so natural in muscle memory . But im sure this topic has came up before soo if any one feels like replying to this thread It would be great .. Im very interested in hearing replys . I am a female dancer and it seems to be a more natural movement to me rather then learned. Is it the same for male dancers?

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Speaking for MYSELF, I don't really have any talent at all. Seriously. What little dance skill I have, I've had to learn the HARD way - and it takes me forever to learn it.

I'm pretty catty when it comes to male dancers - as I've seen my share of them get by on "stupid male tricks" rather than actual dancing. Some of these are QUITE well known. Others, such as our own Tarik, have enormous skill and beauty.

It also really depends on what one defines as "good male dancing" - my personal belief and goal is that "good male dancing" is the exact same as "good female dancing" AND that they should be indistinguishable from each other as far as possible given anatomical (read: Hip structure) differences - i.e. no so-called "male style" or "masculinzations". Others, however, have differing views - so it really depends on who you're talking to!

As for raw talent - as a dance teacher of a TOTALLY different dance form (Greek Folk Dance), I can tell you that IN GENERAL, most males are clumsy bumblers compared to most females. OTOH, my clumsiness - and the corresponding quest for grace and beauty - is what keeps me coming back for more. I dunno about other males. You bring up "natural movement" vs. "learned" - an extremely good point. There's been NOTHING "natural" about ANY kind of dancing I've ever done - I've had to learn it all.

Aniseteph is quite right to get out the popcorn, this thread could get really hot! As your moderator, I want to remind everyone to just remember to keep it civil.

Last edited:

kayshier

Is it just me or do male dancers just seem more talented then female dancers????? I mean I have done some comparisons and I see some real Movements from the core in males that are not in females unless they are extremely well known.

could you name some examples for comparison? whose dancing did you hold up to scrutiny?

are you sure that you're not just fascinated with the novelty of seeing a male dancer because the typical image that comes to mind when you think of belly dance is female?

Sara

I must say I have noticed this myself. Not that they are better dancers, rather stomach movements do seem more pronounced on them.

But not just in male dancers also with women who have very toned flat abs, like Didem, and Amar Gamal. I think it is because there is less fat over the abdomen which can sometimes hide the movement in the belly for women.

Ie/

The word 'more' implies a comparison that occurs along a spectrum. Talent also implies in this case a relationship to gender rather than inherent ability to excel at a chosen activity.

From what I've seen of both male and female PROFESSIONAL dancers..they are equally talented. They each possess the requisite power, grace, emotional depth and musicality.

Maybe what you're seeing is stylizations that is different between men and women. Obviously, we are built different locations for center of gravity.

Certain moves may take a different effort.

Shoulder shimmies-look very powerful on men..as they are often done more vigorously. Hey if I didn't have breasts, my shoulder shimmies would look different too. But because I do..I'm a bit less vigorous and therefore appear more demure

Figure eights hips-Appear more fluid on women because of the built in curves. Women can effect the move with minimal effort and still produce the soft motion, whereas some men may need to bend their knees more and push their hips out farther to create the curving wave.

Men for the most part have bigger feet than women, which covers more floor space when standing still. With one foot on demi-point the larger foot requires the knee to lift higher than someone who wears a size 6.

These are simply generalizations and do not take into account the individual differences that occur among dancers of either gender.
Yasmine

jenc

Could it be also that there are more mediocre female dancers, because there are more female dancers. Any male who wants to do this has to be more driven whilst I know scores of women who go for a good time and don't even practice between classes.
No difference for me between really good male and female dancers in terms of talent. Although Tito does some very strentgh related moves that he can keep, I find him inspiring how I want to dance

AngelaJP

The answer to "who's better, male or female", is relative, I think, the same way each of us is mesmerized or inspired by a certain dancer for various reasons. Being more talented or better covers a very broad spectrum here, I believe.

lizaj

You may just have seen some very memorable dancers who just happen to be male.
I think we may be in danger of promoting men because they are male dancers and a rarity. I have a video from a few years ago and the audience were wildly cheering this young male dancer who franlky was so pedestrian , it was hard to describe him as dancing let alone bellydancing!
On the otherhand there will be men who are spurred on to greater things because they may be discriminated against.
Seriously though we should never get to the point were we can't see the merit in the way a man or woman interprets the dance.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I think we may be in danger of promoting men because they are male dancers and a rarity.
This is always been a problem, and like I said before - there are entirely too many males who get by on "stupid male tricks". Then there are exceptional male performers; such as DaVid, the afore mentioned Tarik, Kamaal, John Compton, and the now retired Aziz.

khanjar

Would I be wrong in saying I would just like to see a good dancer who dances with enthusiasm, passion and flair, their sex irrelevant, as it is the dancer I wish to see and their best interpretation of the music we, that is the audience and the dancer hear ?

I just want to see dancers, not male or female or even straight or gay dancers, just dancers.

Pirika Repun

I totally agree with you khanjar!

You can't compare oranges and apples, even in the same apples; you can't chose which one is good or better, because all depend on your test!

I love both Tarik and Tito's dance, but they are totally two different dancers and different type of styles. However, both of them are great dancers. It's all up to audience to decide which dancer is YOUR TAST.

Maybe this is off topic in here, but some BD competition doesn't make sense to me. There are many different styles by different dancers, so how come you can chose only one or two for the winner. But it's just my opinion. Yap, I just love to watch great DANCERS!

khanjar

Maybe this is off topic in here, but some BD competition doesn't make sense to me. There are many different styles by different dancers, so how come you can chose only one or two for the winner. But it's just my opinion. Yap, I just love to watch great DANCERS!

Hey, I have no problem with going off topic in here, it does so elsewhere, so why not. If the ongoing topic stimulates a question in a certain forum, why not air it and there perhaps see an answer.

Styles, well at first they did interest me, but I have moved on, this place, these forums have taught me to look elsewhere, style really is not the issue, but the artistic interpretation of the music. What I am basically saying is what, given the music heard appeals to you. Never mind everyone else, some are sheep others seek only one style. What is important is how you see what the performer is doing to the music you hear. If it is a competition for the best dancer, then cast your vote on what your heart tells you.

This is me, I often see the opposite of the majority, if I have to choose, then I choose for what pleases me, often what I choose is not the winner, but I have cast my vote in honesty, I prefer to be true to myself than follow the herd.

karena

That's something that really gets me in general - there was something on the Olympics the other day saying who was better, the guy who ran fast or the guy who swam fast. Maybe they were both good at different things. Why on earth would we want to pick just one; where is the value? But it's what TV loves, you can't have a phone in number for all opinions so they get filtered down.

Oh and I would love to go back on topic, but sarcasm doesn't work so well on text and there's not really much one can say on the subject. Except, no men aren't more talented (although maybe I should stop worrying my pretty little head about such important things and get on with the housework, oops back to point one about sarcasm...)