Hip Scarf

Is'adZahira

Hi!

I just bought a hip scarf and realized that the coins will cut the threads beacuse the movements, how can I reforce the them so they don't get cuted?

gwinity

I've heard nail polish on the sharp edges of the coins is meant to work, but I haven't tried it, so don't know for sure.

Mouse

I've not come across this problem with any of my hip scarves (all the coins are blunt and non-sharp on mine), but I'd give the clear nail polish a shot as its all I can think of other than using a stronger quilting thread and basically restitching every coin to reinforce it

Viv

You can also get a product called Fray Check from most fabric stores to treat the threads where they loop through the coins. Fray Check is a liquid that is designed to keep fabric from fraying apart where you have cut it, kind of like a clear farbic glue. It's time consuming but worth it to treat each and every point of thread where there is a coin.
No matter what you do, you are eventually going to have the coins wear through the threads. When they do, knot off the thread where it has been worn through and then use upolstery or beading thread to re-string the coin/beads that have come off. I do this a lot with my hip scarves as they see a lot of day to day use for classes. When I loose coins/beads I knot the ends of the thread off, try to recover the coins/beads from the floor and dump them in a ziplock baggie I keep in my dance bag. Then once a month or so I'll go through my scarves and re-attach any coins/beads that I have recovered to scarves that have lost pieces.

Sara

You could file em down?

But it might take a while.... A long while. I think the nail polish method is a good one.

Inanna

Nail polish is a good method, Ive done that to my belts. Hairspray also works, but its not a very long term solution. On a few of my belts Ive gone through with a matching thread color and reinforced where the coins are at. There really is no real easy way to fix your coin belts, you either need to be a millionaire and keep buying new belts everytime one falls apart, or you need to take a little time and secure your coins.

Irene

Best thread

No matter what you do, you are eventually going to have the coins wear through the threads. When they do, knot off the thread where it has been worn through and then use upolstery or beading thread to re-string the coin/beads that have come off.

I make it a point to repair hip scarves after every class. I found that the best thread is the very thin one used to repair camping gear. It's thin but impossible to break with your hands. Unfortunately it doesn't come in many colours, but it's not obvious for onlookers, unless they come really close. And it can fit any needle and any hole.