Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Back Muscle Strength

I was wondering a good exercise for building back muscular strength for floor work , i am having trouble after my baby that i didnt have before. I cant manage a complete back bend like I used to be able to do. Some one help in that area ... Whats a good method to limber and strengthen?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nur Al Leyali View Post
    I was wondering a good exercise for building back muscular strength for floor work , i am having trouble after my baby that i didnt have before. I cant manage a complete back bend like I used to be able to do. Some one help in that area ... Whats a good method to limber and strengthen?
    actually, to do backbends you need strong stomach muscles for the control (and support of the lower back muscles). situps will help w/this. hth

Post Thanks / Like

Sad

Quote Originally Posted by missanime View Post
    actually, to do backbends you need strong stomach muscles for the control (and support of the lower back muscles). situps will help w/this. hth
    yes i know but strength in my stomach is not my weak point its my lack of strength in the back to control the move going back with out falling the stomach is not the issue this time its the back got any other suggestions?????????

Post Thanks / Like

practice. you're engaging more than just your back and stomach muscles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nur Al Leyali View Post
    yes i know but strength in my stomach is not my weak point its my lack of strength in the back to control the move going back with out falling the stomach is not the issue this time its the back got any other suggestions?????????
    Abs and quads are what mostly control most people's backbends - no matter how many times I try I can't see the back muscles doing much.

FYI situps (even if done correctly) are of limited use. Crunches (with and without a twist) and single leg lifts may help.

Post Thanks / Like

Nur,
    if you are into yoga, there are a plenty of asanas that prepare the body for backbends. Some are presented here:
    Yoga Journal - Poses: Backbend Poses

These exercises are good for building the muscle strength needed for backbends. However, they should be practiced as part of a well rounded routine, not in isolation.
    Some poses are complimentary to each other. For example, the Cobra pose is used as preparation for the Bridge pose (attachment).

The key to “yogic” backbends is that they originate from the chest, which takes some of the strain off the lower back.

I know yoga isn’t to everyone’s taste. Anyway, I hope this helps…

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by missanime View Post
    practice. you're engaging more than just your back and stomach muscles.

Speaking of backbends, I must say, if that is you in the photo you are doing an awesome job!

Post Thanks / Like

Yoga will also teach you to obey your body's limits. Back bends look great but are one of the most potentially dangerous moves that bellydancers perform.

A good back bend requires quad and patellar strength, core flexibility, glutes for stability and common sense to prevent injury.
    Start slow and practice. Backbends look better when done slowly anyway.
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Samira bint Aya View Post
    Speaking of backbends, I must say, if that is you in the photo you are doing an awesome job!
    oh thanks - but no it's not me. it's one of my fave bellydancers Didem Kalini

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Samira bint Aya View Post
    Nur,
    if you are into yoga, there are a plenty of asanas that prepare the body for backbends.The key to “yogic” backbends is that they originate from the chest, which takes some of the strain off the lower back.
    This is incredible! Never tried yoga. I have a strong muscled back, but not a flexible one at all . I'll try a yoga video for a start. When is yoga advisable? Before or after belly dancing? After, I suppose?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast