Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AngelaJP View Post
    This is incredible! Never tried yoga. I have a strong muscled back, but not a flexible one at all . I'll try a yoga video for a start. When is yoga advisable? Before or after belly dancing? After, I suppose?
    anytime! yoga or pilates is great for overal fitness and you gain strength and flexibility in your body.

Post Thanks / Like

This is incredible! Never tried yoga. I have a strong muscled back, but not a flexible one at all . I'll try a yoga video for a start. When is yoga advisable? Before or after belly dancing? After, I suppose?
    The yoga is usually offered before the dance class. But it wouldn’t be wrong if you preferred to dance first, and do the yoga later.

I find it good preparation for dancing, both physical and mental. I started yoga about 3-4 months ago (and dancing a year and a half ago) and I have already seen a tremendous benefit to my belly dancing!

Even yesterday, when doing my yoga routine, I discovered yet another thing about dancing: That my hip movements look more articulated and graceful if the rest of the body is relaxed. It is challenging for me to keep the torso relaxed, when trying a new and difficult hip move, but it is exactly what yoga has trained my body to do!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Samira bint Aya View Post
    The yoga is usually offered before the dance class. But it wouldn’t be wrong if you preferred to dance first, and do the yoga later.

I find it good preparation for dancing, both physical and mental. I started yoga about 3-4 months ago (and dancing a year and a half ago) and I have already seen a tremendous benefit to my belly dancing!

Even yesterday, when doing my yoga routine, I discovered yet another thing about dancing: That my hip movements look more articulated and graceful if the rest of the body is relaxed. It is challenging for me to keep the torso relaxed, when trying a new and difficult hip move, but it is exactly what yoga has trained my body to do!
    I agree 100% I noticed the same thing afte I began a yoga regimen as well. Not only that, I feel more calm and centered plus I've connected deeper within my spirit as a result of Yoga. The vaorious forms of yogic breathing also helps with my energy levels and focus..a plus for belly dancing!
    Beliefs, Religion, Psychology of Beliefs, The Power of Beliefs, Yoga Beliefs, Free Online Animated Yoga
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

Default Samira

Hi I do pillates and yoga mix but not regularly if i was to add this to my routine daily as i work out 7 days a week and I practice 5 days a week would this be the same as yoga alone because i lean more to the pillates then yoga it kind of ummm.... suites me more then yoga alone.

Post Thanks / Like

Samira and Yasmine, thank you so much!

Will definitely be doing yoga, thanks to you gals. Lord knows I need the flexibility, as well as the mental and belly dancing advantages it promotes.

Cheers!
    Angela

Post Thanks / Like

I'd recommend a Pilates mat class over Yoga. Of course a lot depends on the type of class and the teacher and how often you do the class. Low weight and hi rep weight lifting would be good too. Sit ups are not usually recommended anymore, they are hard on the body.

Post Thanks / Like

pilates i think works more for flexibility whereas yoga emphasizes strengthening. pilates also works in more fluid moves which i think would definitely compliment dance of any kind

Post Thanks / Like

Like most things - working with a (good) teacher is preferable to using a video.

Although it does not seem to be part of the approach to yoga, if you are going to work on it at home, then after a good cardiovascular warmup is preferable - so yes, after class.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by missanime View Post
    pilates i think works more for flexibility whereas yoga emphasizes strengthening. pilates also works in more fluid moves which i think would definitely compliment dance of any kind
    Interesting, in Australia and New Zealand it tends to be the other way around. They even use some Pilates as rehab for dance and sports injuries.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by missanime View Post
    Are you sure you don't have that reversed? I hold certifications in both, although they were the weekend professional workshop type.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast