Back Muscle Strength

Nur Al Leyali

I was wondering a good exercise for building back muscular strength for floor work , i am having trouble after my baby that i didnt have before. I cant manage a complete back bend like I used to be able to do. Some one help in that area ... Whats a good method to limber and strengthen?

missanime

I was wondering a good exercise for building back muscular strength for floor work , i am having trouble after my baby that i didnt have before. I cant manage a complete back bend like I used to be able to do. Some one help in that area ... Whats a good method to limber and strengthen?

actually, to do backbends you need strong stomach muscles for the control (and support of the lower back muscles). situps will help w/this. hth :)

Nur Al Leyali

actually, to do backbends you need strong stomach muscles for the control (and support of the lower back muscles). situps will help w/this. hth :)

yes i know but strength in my stomach is not my weak point its my lack of strength in the back to control the move going back with out falling the stomach is not the issue this time its the back got any other suggestions?????????;)

Kashmir

yes i know but strength in my stomach is not my weak point its my lack of strength in the back to control the move going back with out falling the stomach is not the issue this time its the back got any other suggestions?????????;)

Abs and quads are what mostly control most people's backbends - no matter how many times I try I can't see the back muscles doing much.

FYI situps (even if done correctly) are of limited use. Crunches (with and without a twist) and single leg lifts may help.

Samira bint Aya

Nur,
if you are into yoga, there are a plenty of asanas that prepare the body for backbends. Some are presented here:
Yoga Journal - Poses: Backbend Poses

These exercises are good for building the muscle strength needed for backbends. However, they should be practiced as part of a well rounded routine, not in isolation.
Some poses are complimentary to each other. For example, the Cobra pose is used as preparation for the Bridge pose (attachment).

The key to “yogic” backbends is that they originate from the chest, which takes some of the strain off the lower back.

I know yoga isn’t to everyone’s taste. Anyway, I hope this helps…

Yoga will also teach you to obey your body's limits. Back bends look great but are one of the most potentially dangerous moves that bellydancers perform.

A good back bend requires quad and patellar strength, core flexibility, glutes for stability and common sense to prevent injury.
Start slow and practice. Backbends look better when done slowly anyway.
Yasmine

AngelaJP

Nur,
if you are into yoga, there are a plenty of asanas that prepare the body for backbends.The key to “yogic” backbends is that they originate from the chest, which takes some of the strain off the lower back.

This is incredible! Never tried yoga. I have a strong muscled back, but not a flexible one at all :(. I'll try a yoga video for a start. When is yoga advisable? Before or after belly dancing? After, I suppose?

missanime

This is incredible! Never tried yoga. I have a strong muscled back, but not a flexible one at all :(. I'll try a yoga video for a start. When is yoga advisable? Before or after belly dancing? After, I suppose?

anytime! yoga or pilates is great for overal fitness and you gain strength and flexibility in your body.

:)

Samira bint Aya

The yoga is usually offered before the dance class. But it wouldn’t be wrong if you preferred to dance first, and do the yoga later.

I find it good preparation for dancing, both physical and mental. I started yoga about 3-4 months ago (and dancing a year and a half ago) and I have already seen a tremendous benefit to my belly dancing! :)

Even yesterday, when doing my yoga routine, I discovered yet another thing about dancing: That my hip movements look more articulated and graceful if the rest of the body is relaxed. It is challenging for me to keep the torso relaxed, when trying a new and difficult hip move, but it is exactly what yoga has trained my body to do! ;)

The yoga is usually offered before the dance class. But it wouldn’t be wrong if you preferred to dance first, and do the yoga later.

I find it good preparation for dancing, both physical and mental. I started yoga about 3-4 months ago (and dancing a year and a half ago) and I have already seen a tremendous benefit to my belly dancing! :)

Even yesterday, when doing my yoga routine, I discovered yet another thing about dancing: That my hip movements look more articulated and graceful if the rest of the body is relaxed. It is challenging for me to keep the torso relaxed, when trying a new and difficult hip move, but it is exactly what yoga has trained my body to do! ;)
I agree 100% I noticed the same thing afte I began a yoga regimen as well. Not only that, I feel more calm and centered plus I've connected deeper within my spirit as a result of Yoga. The vaorious forms of yogic breathing also helps with my energy levels and focus..a plus for belly dancing!
Beliefs, Religion, Psychology of Beliefs, The Power of Beliefs, Yoga Beliefs, Free Online Animated Yoga
Yasmine

Nur Al Leyali

Samira

:dance:Hi I do pillates and yoga mix but not regularly if i was to add this to my routine daily as i work out 7 days a week and I practice 5 days a week would this be the same as yoga alone because i lean more to the pillates then yoga it kind of ummm.... suites me more then yoga alone.

AngelaJP

Samira and Yasmine, thank you so much! :D

Will definitely be doing yoga, thanks to you gals. Lord knows I need the flexibility, as well as the mental and belly dancing advantages it promotes.

Cheers! :)
Angela

Jane

I'd recommend a Pilates mat class over Yoga. Of course a lot depends on the type of class and the teacher and how often you do the class. Low weight and hi rep weight lifting would be good too. Sit ups are not usually recommended anymore, they are hard on the body.

missanime

pilates i think works more for flexibility whereas yoga emphasizes strengthening. pilates also works in more fluid moves which i think would definitely compliment dance of any kind :)

Kashmir

Like most things - working with a (good) teacher is preferable to using a video.

Although it does not seem to be part of the approach to yoga, if you are going to work on it at home, then after a good cardiovascular warmup is preferable - so yes, after class.

Kashmir

pilates i think works more for flexibility whereas yoga emphasizes strengthening. pilates also works in more fluid moves which i think would definitely compliment dance of any kind :)
Interesting, in Australia and New Zealand it tends to be the other way around. They even use some Pilates as rehab for dance and sports injuries.

Jane

Are you sure you don't have that reversed? I hold certifications in both, although they were the weekend professional workshop type. ;)