Back Muscle Strength

missanime

Interesting, in Australia and New Zealand it tends to be the other way around. They even use some Pilates as rehab for dance and sports injuries.

yes same here too. however (like many ballet companies here) realized and now use pilates as *part* of the dancers' training and not just for rehab purposes. imo it makes total sense.

:)

Are you sure you don't have that reversed? I hold certifications in both, although they were the weekend professional workshop type. ;)
Actually yoga is thousands of years older than Pilates. Joseph Pilates has borrowed extensively from Yogic principles when developing his methods. Yoga is much more than exercise..There are 8 limbs of knowledge In Yoga. Hatha Yoga is the physical style. it enahnces the body recepton to the other forms. Within hatha yoga, there are many sub-disciplines:Kundalini, Ashtanga, Lyengar etc. Yoga applies universal principles that sadly has been reduced to poorly understood exercise regimen. In terms of flexibility, both forms of exercise can achive both: depends on the style, the teacher and of course the student:
Here's a clip of Ashtanga style Yoga that builds both strength and flexibility. Ashtanga is also known in the West as Power Yoga

YouTube - ashtanga yoga demo

Pilates: Most of these exercise mirror Hatha yoga...to the 'T"
YouTube - Pilates
Yasmine

Samira bint Aya

I also do both Pilates and yoga. I am not trying to say one is better than the other, but personally, I have found that yoga complements my dance training, whereas Pilates is more of an exercise regimen.

I started belly dancing a little over a year ago, with no previous dance experience. I begun yoga just four months ago, and since then I have benefited in numerous ways:

1. Increased flexibility, which is an immediate benefit
2. Better posture. Since I have been able to identify and activate the psoas muscles, I can stand tall and proud without loosing my pelvic tuck or over-engaging the lower abs.
3. An awareness of my bodies’ center of gravity and weight changes within movements, which improved my transitions
4. Better balance (for turns, spins etc) which is my weakest point
5. A sense of my body as a whole, where one movement can be felt thorough the whole body. For example, the turning of the head changes the alignment of the spine, and hence the pelvis. This is helping me with my arm movements. In yoga you learn to understand the hands as originating from the spite, not the shoulders. It feels nice to engage your body as a whole when dancing, plus it gives a more aesthetically pleasing result to the observer
6. Being able to relax the muscles that I am not working on. This makes dance moves more articulated
7. Using the breath to drive the movement. This is my latest discovery. I have started veilwork for the first time and discovered how I automatically co-ordinate my breathing with the expansive arm movements, almost as if I am letting the veil “breathe”. It makes my veilwork more relaxed and easy-flowing, and more comfortable (enjoyable) on me too.

I realize that to many of you these things that are so new to me have been very obvious. Especially if you have had previous dance training, and cultivated an awareness of the body.

Some people are naturally intuitive about their bodies. Not me. Yoga is helping me make up for this.

Sorry for the long post, I am such an enthusiast about this! :)

I also do both Pilates and yoga. I am not trying to say one is better than the other, but personally, I have found that yoga complements my dance training, whereas Pilates is more of an exercise regimen.

I started belly dancing a little over a year ago, with no previous dance experience. I begun yoga just four months ago, and since then I have benefited in numerous ways:

1. Increased flexibility, which is an immediate benefit
2. Better posture. Since I have been able to identify and activate the psoas muscles, I can stand tall and proud without loosing my pelvic tuck or over-engaging the lower abs.
3. An awareness of my bodies’ center of gravity and weight changes within movements, which improved my transitions
4. Better balance (for turns, spins etc) which is my weakest point
5. A sense of my body as a whole, where one movement can be felt thorough the whole body. For example, the turning of the head changes the alignment of the spine, and hence the pelvis. This is helping me with my arm movements. In yoga you learn to understand the hands as originating from the spite, not the shoulders. It feels nice to engage your body as a whole when dancing, plus it gives a more aesthetically pleasing result to the observer
6. Being able to relax the muscles that I am not working on. This makes dance moves more articulated
7. Using the breath to drive the movement. This is my latest discovery. I have started veilwork for the first time and discovered how I automatically co-ordinate my breathing with the expansive arm movements, almost as if I am letting the veil “breathe”. It makes my veilwork more relaxed and easy-flowing, and more comfortable (enjoyable) on me too.

I realize that to many of you these things that are so new to me have been very obvious. Especially if you have had previous dance training, and cultivated an awareness of the body.

Some people are naturally intuitive about their bodies. Not me. Yoga is helping me make up for this.

Sorry for the long post, I am such an enthusiast about this! :)
Don't worry, so am I!!!
Yasmine

missanime

Samira bint Aya - i don't think anyone here is saying one is better than the other. that'd be like saying ballet is better than jazz or african is better than tap.

i suggested pilates because it offers fluid movements, which many women find they prefer especially if they dance.

:)

AngelaJP

I have friends who love yoga and others pilates. What works for one may not work for the other, right? I haven't watched and done both pilates and yoga videos yet. I don't know how true it is that pilates is a combination of yoga and aerobics. Darn, I have to stop procrastinating and do those 2 videos! Tomorrow... Hahahaha! :lol: Just kidding, girls!

From Kashmir: Like most things - working with a (good) teacher is preferable to using a video.
Although it does not seem to be part of the approach to yoga, if you are going to work on it at home, then after a good cardiovascular warmup is preferable - so yes, after class.

Hi Kashmir! I wish I had the funds now to do yoga with a teacher who will also check if I'm doing the right thing. A lot of expenses my end now preparing for a new life. Can wrong yoga moves cause injury? I have just acquired videos of beginner yoga and also pilates here but haven't seen yet.

Okay, I'll try it after class then. It's like cycling, running and other sports then. Warm-up, stretching, workout, cool-down then stretching. Stretching in sports is a lot more important after the workout when the muscles are warmed up and flexible. It worked for me.

Kashmir, thank you for the valuable tips! :)