Post Thanks / Like

Default Newbie from Sweden (but my name isn't Inga :D)

Hello, fellow bellydancers!

So happy to belong here with you guys I had my first class ever yesterday, and can't wait til next time! I'm completely new to dancing so at 25 years of age I'm quite proud I had the guts to actually go, hehe

Our teacher told us it's really important to get a grip on your arm movements early on, and as I suspect I'm going to have a hard time with the arms (my hand-feet coordination isn't brilliant ) I thought I'd see if anyone can give some general advice on how to learn and improve arm movements and make them look natural and "easy"?

See you round

Hugs!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome
    don't worry about this just yet. I'm sure your teacher will give you lots of exercises soon enough as she seems to be on the ball. Actually sometimes the arm coordination that is needed is to stop them moving with the rst of you!
    There have been several threads on this subject so use the search feature in the top bar.
    enjoy your dancing
    Jen

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Ippa!

I agree with Jenc - your teacher sounds like she knows what she is doing. My hand/foot coordination is pretty terrible when I'm learning something new, but once you get the hang of it and your muscles know what to do you don't have to think about it so hard!

Post Thanks / Like

Hejsan och tjena !

Great to see a fellow swede! Congratulation on starting your new bellydance-life.

Actully I just started a thread about arm and hand-advice and I got some great exercises from the generous and knowledgeable members on this forum. Check it out. It's "sloppy hands"...etc.
    Welcome
    Gisela
    immer glimmer

Post Thanks / Like

Ippa, and congrats on your first class. I am sure as you become more familiar with various movements they will begin to get easier, some take longer than others, but they do fall into place
    ~Mosaic

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the family, Ippa! I totally feel your sentiments. My progress is horribly slow with my upper body movements.

Congratulations on your first class. Do keep us posted!

Angela