Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lots of wonder.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Lots of wonder.

Sorry mod. If my thread is posted in wrong place, please move it to the satisfied place.

I wonder if practicing through instructional DVD means that you have learned with that instructor? Therefore, with the suit DVD for your level means you reach that level.

By the way, how long does it take to approach the next level? What have you been studying in class? The first level is with basic movements and what is the next? I wonder what is taught in Egyptian belly dance class.

I am sorry if my question seems stupid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trang1808 View Post
    Sorry mod. If my thread is posted in wrong place, please move it to the satisfied place.

I wonder if practicing through instructional DVD means that you have learned with that instructor? Therefore, with the suit DVD for your level means you reach that level.

By the way, how long does it take to approach the next level? What have you been studying in class? The first level is with basic movements and what is the next? I wonder what is taught in Egyptian belly dance class.

I am sorry if my question seems stupid.
    Hi, I don't think you can count DVD practicing as "studying with" - even if you are very experienced. If you are just learning then definitely not. There is no feedback and there is not enough instruction. Even with a very full instructional video - I have some that are three hours long - the teacher is only covering a fraction of what they can teach you. Even if you were able to do everything they cover in the three hours there is still much, much more that is available to learn - even from that one person.

The idea of "levels" is fraught. My beginners do 10 hours "Introduction" - in that time they are introduced to about 15 moves, isolations and travelling steps (and some background material on history, culture, music etc). Another 10 hours gets them to the point they can use these to perform something approaching belly dance - that is they work on improving their technique and transitions. Far as I'm concerned they are still beginners. Some will stay "beginners" for a another year - some for 5 years. It really depends on the person and how the "levels" are defined.

People have different ideas, but basically if you are still struggling with simple (unlayered) moves, are unable to shimmy and walk, cannot engage your abs to protect your body and generate movement, are unable to move between movements smoothly or are unable to improvise to Arabic music - you are still a beginner.

Once you have those basic skills under your belt you can start to learn the "dancing" part of belly dance.

If you mean by "Egyptian belly dance class" - a belly dance class in Egypt then that is fairly new and would apply to people who can already dance. I've never been taught "moves" as such by Egyptian teachers. They have taught attitude, flavour, combinations (usually by the follow the bouncing butt method) and choreographies which assume you can watch what they do and follow along.

Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
    Hi, I don't think you can count DVD practicing as "studying with" - even if you are very experienced. If you are just learning then definitely not. There is no feedback and there is not enough instruction. Even with a very full instructional video - I have some that are three hours long - the teacher is only covering a fraction of what they can teach you. Even if you were able to do everything they cover in the three hours there is still much, much more that is available to learn - even from that one person.

The idea of "levels" is fraught. My beginners do 10 hours "Introduction" - in that time they are introduced to about 15 moves, isolations and travelling steps (and some background material on history, culture, music etc). Another 10 hours gets them to the point they can use these to perform something approaching belly dance - that is they work on improving their technique and transitions. Far as I'm concerned they are still beginners. Some will stay "beginners" for a another year - some for 5 years. It really depends on the person and how the "levels" are defined.

People have different ideas, but basically if you are still struggling with simple (unlayered) moves, are unable to shimmy and walk, cannot engage your abs to protect your body and generate movement, are unable to move between movements smoothly or are unable to improvise to Arabic music - you are still a beginner.

Once you have those basic skills under your belt you can start to learn the "dancing" part of belly dance.

If you mean by "Egyptian belly dance class" - a belly dance class in Egypt then that is fairly new and would apply to people who can already dance. I've never been taught "moves" as such by Egyptian teachers. They have taught attitude, flavour, combinations (usually by the follow the bouncing butt method) and choreographies which assume you can watch what they do and follow along.

Good luck
    Hi,

I do not affirm that I am experienced. I just want to know more. Would you suggest me the name of instructional videos?

Now I assert that I am just a beginner of this miracle art and still be beginner.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I do not affirm that I am experienced. I just want to know more. Would you suggest me the name of instructional videos?

Now I assert that I am just a beginner of this miracle art and still be beginner.
    What have you already worked with? And for how long?

Post Thanks / Like

to kashmir: I do not understand that question. I do not joke. I have been studying basic and practicing to combine them together.

Ya I have been studying this ... art (I always use 'wonderful' and 'miracle' to express but now I want to say more than it) for 2 years. In 2 previous month recently, I had an excited gift from my very very special friend. They are 2 instructional DVDs for beginners. With them, I consult more on youtube.

No words can express my love for belly dance. Maybe I have an addiction to this art

Post Thanks / Like

by the way, why could I not use the quick post device

Post Thanks / Like

hi

there are many things you can not ever learn from a dvd - if you're doing a move incorrect you will never know that unless, like in a class, you would have the teacher there to correct you. secondly dvd's are meant to sell and to do that they make you buy one for every single thing you could've learned in a single bellydance class.

have you only done dvd's? perhaps if you tried a class you could see the difference

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by missanime View Post
    hi

there are many things you can not ever learn from a dvd - if you're doing a move incorrect you will never know that unless, like in a class, you would have the teacher there to correct you. secondly dvd's are meant to sell and to do that they make you buy one for every single thing you could've learned in a single bellydance class.

have you only done dvd's? perhaps if you tried a class you could see the difference
    oops If I had chance, I would not ask you *cry* If you find out any class in Vietnam, people whom both journalists call instructor is not real instructor. oops I do not know how to explain for you.

Post Thanks / Like

to kashmir: I do not understand that question. I do not joke. I have been studying basic and practicing to combine them together.

Ya I have been studying this ... art (I always use 'wonderful' and 'miracle' to express but now I want to say more than it) for 2 years. In 2 previous month recently, I had an excited gift from my very very special friend. They are 2 instructional DVDs for beginners. With them, I consult more on youtube.

No words can express my love for belly dance. Maybe I have an addiction to this art
    Hi, I was wondering whose DVDs you are studying with. That is the name of the instructor and the name of the DVD. If you have two DVDs I would think you still had more work to do after only two months - I know I made one of Shareen el Safy's last more like 6 months.

I know you do not have access to a live teacher - but some feedback from a teacher could help - before you get into bad habits.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there,

As everyone said it here no dvds or youtube clips are substitute for a love teacher/teaching. I am sorry to hear that you have no access to it. I think you wrote to my studio few months ago. I just sent you a private message and hope to hear from you.

Rgds
    Janaki

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast