Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lots of wonder.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
    Hi, I was wondering whose DVDs you are studying with. That is the name of the instructor and the name of the DVD. If you have two DVDs I would think you still had more work to do after only two months - I know I made one of Shareen el Safy's last more like 6 months.

I know you do not have access to a live teacher - but some feedback from a teacher could help - before you get into bad habits.
    I have been practicing Trisnasary dvd and michelle dvd. See ya I am practicing everyday.

oops how could I have feedback if there is no real instructor near my place.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trang1808 View Post
    I have been practicing Trisnasary dvd and michelle dvd. See ya I am practicing everyday.

oops how could I have feedback if there is no real instructor near my place.
    Sorry, I don't know those DVDs so I'm unsure what level or style you are working on.

If you have access to a video camera you could video yourself and send the film to a teacher to critique. It'd have to be a hard copy - not 5 minutes on YouTube. (When I studied to learn to teach dance we did that and it worked very well. First I got a friend to video me while I was teaching. Then I watched it and decided what I was doing right and wrong then I sent the analysis and tape to my teacher. She watched the video and agreed/disagreed with what I thought of my teaching and sent ideas to try. I'd try them a few weeks then video a class again)

If you are doing it for dance, you'd need to start with videoing basic movements - showing all your body - including legs, knees and feet. You'd probably have to do it front on and side on. Once this has been okayed, then you could start looking at transitions and musicality etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Well you obviously have a devotion and passion for the dance - I think it's a shame that you can't get a tutor. Of course videos then become the only option but I think Kashmir's idea about recording yourself dancing the basics and sending it to a tutor for correction/imput. Prehaps you should e-mail some asking if this is possible
    I would prehaps look into doing this before getting instructional DVDs by other people (keep to the same DVD instructors) as everyone always has a different way of showing a move and does it differently so without a face-to-face teacher to guide you it could become rather confusing.

Good Luck
    Sita

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
    Sorry, I don't know those DVDs so I'm unsure what level or style you are working on.

If you have access to a video camera you could video yourself and send the film to a teacher to critique. It'd have to be a hard copy - not 5 minutes on YouTube. (When I studied to learn to teach dance we did that and it worked very well. First I got a friend to video me while I was teaching. Then I watched it and decided what I was doing right and wrong then I sent the analysis and tape to my teacher. She watched the video and agreed/disagreed with what I thought of my teaching and sent ideas to try. I'd try them a few weeks then video a class again)

If you are doing it for dance, you'd need to start with videoing basic movements - showing all your body - including legs, knees and feet. You'd probably have to do it front on and side on. Once this has been okayed, then you could start looking at transitions and musicality etc.
    oh thank you very much, Sita. Ya I have filmed some videos and sent to my friend (she learns belly dance too, I do not deal with her name or her living, trust me that I believe her)

I will film another videos.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sita View Post
    Well you obviously have a devotion and passion for the dance - I think it's a shame that you can't get a tutor. Of course videos then become the only option but I think Kashmir's idea about recording yourself dancing the basics and sending it to a tutor for correction/imput. Prehaps you should e-mail some asking if this is possible
    I would prehaps look into doing this before getting instructional DVDs by other people (keep to the same DVD instructors) as everyone always has a different way of showing a move and does it differently so without a face-to-face teacher to guide you it could become rather confusing.

Good Luck
    Sita
    thank you very much, Sita. Ya I have special love for belly dance. I feel peace in my heart whenever I practice or listen to music. I want to dance, however, it seems strange so I stay one place and do movements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12