Building my costume..

Phoebedances

Don't you adore Ross bargains? Sigh blissfully.

Ross is my favorite store of all time. :D I was there yesterday and saw the absolutely most perfect black velvet jacket. Princess seams, piping.. a little band that goes at the waist, tuxedo lapels. Would be perfect dressed up or with jeans. It's $70, but retails for $210, and it's designer!

I really, really want it. I'm going to check my bank balance Monday morning, though and make a decision about whether I can afford it. I'll call it an investment piece in my wardrobe, since I'll wear it for years.

Phoebedances

More on the bra.

I have added the side/back straps. These are made of two layers of this wide grosgrain-like tape that is used in the bottom of drapery to add body and weight. Then towards the cup end, I sandwiched a rectangle of the interfacing, so it can angle a bit better. It needs trimmed, still, but that's easily accomplished and I wanted a bit of room to play with it.

When I trim it in, it will have a bit more coverage at the sides than a regular cup. I also turned the cups on the bra inward a bit towards each other. Looks more like a costume and less like lingerie this way.

You can see the black grosgrain ribbon I bought for the straps. I think a criss-cross strap arrangement is going to work best here, from what I saw when I was trying it on.

Amulya

The bra I'm using for my costume is exactly the same type as yours. My problem with it is that the cups + wires are too high in the middle. Normally those are a bit lower in the middle, but in my size they make them higher (really annoying!). Are you going to keep the bra like this? I was thinking of somehow getting shorter wires in so I can make that middle bit lower. Not sure if it would work though.

I have posted a picture of my bra in this tread: http://www.bellydanceforums.net/dance-costumes/6808-bra-question.html#post88179

Last edited:

Phoebedances

The bra I'm using for my costume is exactly the same type as yours. My problem with it is that the cups + wires are too high in the middle. Normally those are a bit lower in the middle, but in my size they make them higher (really annoying!). Are you going to keep the bra like this? I was thinking of somehow getting shorter wires in so I can make that middle bit lower. Not sure if it would work though.

I have posted a picture of my bra in this tread: http://www.bellydanceforums.net/dance-costumes/6808-bra-question.html#post88179

I run into the same problem with alot of cups. What I did here was just to tilt the cups to the inside so instead of being more straight across on the top, the top of the cup goes more \/

However.. I just cut into the channel for the wire on an old bra and it wouldn't be hard to cut a wire down. I think you'd need something to cut it with - but maybe even untility shears would do it, then you'd probably want to file the end and coat it with epoxy or something. Make a heavy coating so it wouldn't punch through your costume, then repair the channel.

Hopefully I'll get the sideplates of my bra reinforced tonight and start covering it. New pictures soon!

Amulya

I run into the same problem with alot of cups. What I did here was just to tilt the cups to the inside so instead of being more straight across on the top, the top of the cup goes more \/

That's a very good idea! I totally forgot about that, have to try that. Will probably be better than my idea of cutting the wires.
I'm really glad that you're right in the same stage of costume building as me! I'll post some pictures soon :)

Phoebedances

Covering the bra and belt - I had to do this in two steps.. the simple black material under the assuit and then the assuit itself. I have a picture of just the black material on the bra, but it turned out so blurry I couldn't use it.

Here is a pic of the bra and part of the belt covered in the assuit. Getting the pattern to match up - be even is quite a challenge with the darting and the back of the belt isn't quite even, so I may have to take loose one little part to fix it. Fortunately, the assuit is a little stretchy, so that makes it a bit easier.

Now onward to putting stuff on it. :D

Mya

wonderful! i really think it's beautiful and that you should make me one :D
If i only understood half of what you did there i'd attempt one myself - with all of our carnival supply shops here i have everything from a wiiiiiide range of beads and sequins to fabric. Mostly we'd just need the coins and the patience!

Soooo....who wants to breakdown the process? :D

I don't know how to make the sides and the straps even if i figure out how to reinforce the cups.

AngelaJP

I don't know how to make the sides and the straps even if i figure out how to reinforce the cups.

I'd like to hear/read about the process too. I'm soooo encouraged to make my own costume soon! ;)

Mya, you're so lucky you have such convenient access to all the materials there!

Phoebedances

wonderful! i really think it's beautiful and that you should make me one :D
If i only understood half of what you did there i'd attempt one myself - with all of our carnival supply shops here i have everything from a wiiiiiide range of beads and sequins to fabric. Mostly we'd just need the coins and the patience!

I think you'd look lovely in red assuit! :) As far as more detail -- Right now I'm working against a slight deadline to get this costume done, but I promise to post more detailed instructions.. maybe with some illustrations.

Phoebedances

More pictures! I didn't get my costume done at what I wanted as my deadline and I ended up wearing a beladi dress instead of this. However, I'm still working and well... nearly done.

With coins now and some of the beading is done.

The belt.. I'm not sure if it needs some coins on the bottom??

Shanazel

I like the idea of coins on the bottom of the belt to balance it, but it is gorgoeous just as it is.:clap:

Phoebedances

I like the idea of coins on the bottom of the belt to balance it, but it is gorgoeous just as it is.:clap:

Thank you, Shanazel! I may try some little clusters of coins, maybe with a touch of beads or some tassle or something. Guess it will dawn on me what I want when I get closer to the end. :lol:

Shanazel

Well, you know me and coins- I think there can never be enough of them:D. I especially like the red berry-like beading at the top- very subtle and very classy.

When I make costumes or art, I generally hang whatever I am working on in a prominent place (very often my living room curtins!) and live with it for a while. The solution to whatever problem I am dealing with will leap out at me at some point. Works better for me than staring at it while it lays on the table in the midst of all my raw materials.

Last edited:

Phoebedances

Well, you know me and coins- I think there can never be enough of them:D. I especially like the red berry-like beading at the top- very subtle and very classy.

When I make costumes or art, I generally hang whatever I am working on in a prominent place (very often my living room curtins!) and live with it for a while. The solution to whatever problem I am dealing with will leap out at me at some point. Works better for me than staring at it while it lays on the table in the midst of all my raw materials.

That's a good tip, hanging it up to just mull over. I don't have curtains, but I'll come up with something... maybe the exercise machine I'm not using, atm. At least it will be useful then! Pulling it's weight. :lol::lol:

Amulya

It's starting to look really good! I love the way you did the bra :). I do think too that the belt needs something more, but not sure what. Do you have a picture of the whole belt?

PracticalDancer

I'd like to hear/read about the process too. I'm soooo encouraged to make my own costume soon! ;)

Mya, you're so lucky you have such convenient access to all the materials there!

(disclaimer: the following is an endorsement, not an advertisement. I am not affiliated with the author / vendor, I am just a happy customer)

If you don't have anyone who can teach this to you directly, there are some wonderful books out there. I personally got a lot of both technique and ideas from Dawn Divine Brown's "Embellished Bras- Workshop in a book." (See Embellished Bras by Davina aka Dawn Devine Brown - Author - Costumer - Dancer - Historian). Dina the Costume Goddess also has a book, but I don't (think I) have that one yet. These can help you with basic principles and steps.

And, I you are not that confident to take on a whole bra from the ground up, try this method:

1) Get a turkish vest.
2) Find an off the rack (lingerie) bra that fits under the turkish vest so that ONLY the cups show. You will not want the straps or back to peek out.
3) Find trim or decoration to embellish the cups and practice sewing those on.
4) If you like your results, you know have some experience under your belt so that you can take on increasingly complicated projects; if you don't, you still have a turkish vest! :)