Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Don't you adore Ross bargains? Sigh blissfully.
    Ross is my favorite store of all time. I was there yesterday and saw the absolutely most perfect black velvet jacket. Princess seams, piping.. a little band that goes at the waist, tuxedo lapels. Would be perfect dressed up or with jeans. It's $70, but retails for $210, and it's designer!

I really, really want it. I'm going to check my bank balance Monday morning, though and make a decision about whether I can afford it. I'll call it an investment piece in my wardrobe, since I'll wear it for years.

Post Thanks / Like

More on the bra.

I have added the side/back straps. These are made of two layers of this wide grosgrain-like tape that is used in the bottom of drapery to add body and weight. Then towards the cup end, I sandwiched a rectangle of the interfacing, so it can angle a bit better. It needs trimmed, still, but that's easily accomplished and I wanted a bit of room to play with it.

When I trim it in, it will have a bit more coverage at the sides than a regular cup. I also turned the cups on the bra inward a bit towards each other. Looks more like a costume and less like lingerie this way.

You can see the black grosgrain ribbon I bought for the straps. I think a criss-cross strap arrangement is going to work best here, from what I saw when I was trying it on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebedances View Post

The bra I'm using for my costume is exactly the same type as yours. My problem with it is that the cups + wires are too high in the middle. Normally those are a bit lower in the middle, but in my size they make them higher (really annoying!). Are you going to keep the bra like this? I was thinking of somehow getting shorter wires in so I can make that middle bit lower. Not sure if it would work though.

I have posted a picture of my bra in this tread: http://www.bellydanceforums.net/danc...html#post88179

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amulya View Post
    The bra I'm using for my costume is exactly the same type as yours. My problem with it is that the cups + wires are too high in the middle. Normally those are a bit lower in the middle, but in my size they make them higher (really annoying!). Are you going to keep the bra like this? I was thinking of somehow getting shorter wires in so I can make that middle bit lower. Not sure if it would work though.

I have posted a picture of my bra in this tread: http://www.bellydanceforums.net/danc...html#post88179

I run into the same problem with alot of cups. What I did here was just to tilt the cups to the inside so instead of being more straight across on the top, the top of the cup goes more \/

However.. I just cut into the channel for the wire on an old bra and it wouldn't be hard to cut a wire down. I think you'd need something to cut it with - but maybe even untility shears would do it, then you'd probably want to file the end and coat it with epoxy or something. Make a heavy coating so it wouldn't punch through your costume, then repair the channel.

Hopefully I'll get the sideplates of my bra reinforced tonight and start covering it. New pictures soon!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebedances View Post
    I run into the same problem with alot of cups. What I did here was just to tilt the cups to the inside so instead of being more straight across on the top, the top of the cup goes more \/

That's a very good idea! I totally forgot about that, have to try that. Will probably be better than my idea of cutting the wires.
    I'm really glad that you're right in the same stage of costume building as me! I'll post some pictures soon

Post Thanks / Like

Covering the bra and belt - I had to do this in two steps.. the simple black material under the assuit and then the assuit itself. I have a picture of just the black material on the bra, but it turned out so blurry I couldn't use it.

Here is a pic of the bra and part of the belt covered in the assuit. Getting the pattern to match up - be even is quite a challenge with the darting and the back of the belt isn't quite even, so I may have to take loose one little part to fix it. Fortunately, the assuit is a little stretchy, so that makes it a bit easier.

Now onward to putting stuff on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice how you got the pattern symetrical on the bra, that must have been hard to do!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amulya View Post
    Nice how you got the pattern symetrical on the bra, that must have been hard to do!
    That is was... I thought I was in deep trouble for about an hour until I finally got one of the darts on the right cup done right.

Post Thanks / Like

wonderful! i really think it's beautiful and that you should make me one
    If i only understood half of what you did there i'd attempt one myself - with all of our carnival supply shops here i have everything from a wiiiiiide range of beads and sequins to fabric. Mostly we'd just need the coins and the patience!

Soooo....who wants to breakdown the process?

I don't know how to make the sides and the straps even if i figure out how to reinforce the cups.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast