Building my costume..

Phoebedances

So, I did get my silk dyed today, though I think it will be tomorrow before I get my skirt cut out and put together.

Here are pictures of the silk and assuit -

The silk is a bit darker/richer color than this. I tried to make the picture a bit more saturated to reflect that, because it got washed out with the flash, but it doesn't really do it justice still. I'm very, very happy with the color.

And here it is with the assuit. I chose it because it was a simpler design, which I think will work well into a bedlah.

Now I just have to be brave and cut into the assuit. ;)

Last edited:

Shanazel

Oh, how beautiful! If that is a washed out version of the color due to flash the actual color must be overwhelming gorgeous.

Phoebedances

Oh, how beautiful! If that is a washed out version of the color due to flash the actual color must be overwhelming gorgeous.

Thank you! The real color is about 2 shades deeper than that picture. I did enough for 3 half circles for the skirt out of 8mm silk, a veil out of 5mm and about a yard extra so I could put silk on the edge of the arm covers.

I think I'm going to become a bit addicted to silk dyeing. It's like playing mad scientist, except you create something nice instead of robots that take over the world. Okay.. I'm watching too much sci fi! ;)

Shanazel

If you have to develop an expensive addiction, at least you have developed one that results in beauty and you can sell the results if necessary to finance your addiction. Even after all these years, I am thrilled to death every time I mix turquoise and yellow and end up with a brilliant green.

Do you keep a record of your formulas so you can repeat a color if you wish? This was suggested to me by a woman who is far more methodical than I am. I think it is a good idea, but I never really measure anything, just keep playing until I have what I want. My method has distinct drawbacks and I vow to reform, but then I get to playing and...

Phoebedances

If you have to develop an expensive addiction, at least you have developed one that results in beauty and you can sell the results if necessary to finance your addiction. Even after all these years, I am thrilled to death every time I mix turquoise and yellow and end up with a brilliant green.

Do you keep a record of your formulas so you can repeat a color if you wish? This was suggested to me by a woman who is far more methodical than I am. I think it is a good idea, but I never really measure anything, just keep playing until I have what I want. My method has distinct drawbacks and I vow to reform, but then I get to playing and...

I did mix Oxblood - and then about half as much Chinese Red - that's about as scientific as I got. :lol: The idea of writing down the formula is a very good one though and maybe I'll start an index file of that. Of course my cards will probably be very spattered with dye splotches. I confess! I'm a messy dyer!

And I like to play too! That's where the whole mad scientist thing comes in. :D

As I finished this up, I looked at all the left over solution with the vinegar and salt in it.. and wondered how much more fabric you could dye in the same stuff and would subsequent fabric get lighter?

Shanazel

I think it depends on the dye. The stuff I use to dye wool dyes fiber until the solution is actually clear. I usually paint silk so don't have as much dye left over as I do when making a solution. MY guess is subsequent dye lots will be lighter. I am far from being an expert, though, so maybe someone who is an expert will leap in here and educate us both.

Marya

I did mix Oxblood - and then about half as much Chinese Red - that's about as scientific as I got. :lol: The idea of writing down the formula is a very good one though and maybe I'll start an index file of that. Of course my cards will probably be very spattered with dye splotches. I confess! I'm a messy dyer!

And I like to play too! That's where the whole mad scientist thing comes in. :D

As I finished this up, I looked at all the left over solution with the vinegar and salt in it.. and wondered how much more fabric you could dye in the same stuff and would subsequent fabric get lighter?

What kind of dye did you use? With some dye baths you can keep dying fabric until the dye bath is clear or mostly clear. You do get lighter shades.

Marya

AngelaJP

Thank you! The real color is about 2 shades deeper than that picture. I did enough for 3 half circles for the skirt out of 8mm silk, a veil out of 5mm and about a yard extra so I could put silk on the edge of the arm covers.

Wow Phoebe! If the color is actually 2 shades deeper, then the fabric and the color combination look elegant and sultry!

Hope you can post a photo of your design here. I'm so excited for you! :dance:

Phoebedances

I used Procion fiber reactive dye. I like the dye but I want to try the Jaquard (sp?) at some point too.

I like the colors, they go well together. What are you planning to make for bra and belt?

I am going to split the fabric for two assuit panels front and back to go over the red silk skirt and then cover the bra and belt with the other half of the fabric. There is a really cool little triangle design on one edge of silver that I want to try to put on the tops of the cups and then put the coins below that.

The bra and belt will have kuchi coins and I found these great silver pendants that I'm going to use on the center of the bra and then on the belt in the middle front and the sides and then connect chains of beads - silver, onyx and these cool red crystal spacers.

After seeing how the red silk just glowed under the mesh of the assuit, I don't think I'm going to line the panels, though I may try to edge them somehow to make them appear more finished. Haven't decided that yet.

I need to run out and buy grosgrain ribbon.. I can't believe I forgot to get any. lol.. it has been awhile for me to make a costume.

Wow Phoebe! If the color is actually 2 shades deeper, then the fabric and the color combination look elegant and sultry!

Hope you can post a photo of your design here. I'm so excited for you! :dance:

Thank you, Angela!!! I will be posting photos as I go along. :) I wish I were elegant and sultry... maybe someday. :dance::dance:

Last edited by a moderator:

Amulya

It sounds like it's going to be a really nice costume, don't forget to post pictures of the making process :)

Phoebedances

I will post pics. :)

Discovery: Although the foam cup bras look like they would work for a costume bra, after cutting a slightly larger than me one apart, I discovered that the cups seem much smaller. I think this has to do with the stretch, which is helped by the straps when the bra is worn.

I will be hitting up sugar petals, it appears.

Amulya

I know it can be a real difficult thing, bra's. I just cut up mine and discovered it works, but I find that the wires are too high in the middle, so I'll have to take them out and put new ones. For some reason in my bra size they always make the wires too high in the front.

maylynn

I have to say that I'm seriously in awe of you talented ladies that can make your own costumes.

I'm not a TOTAL slob with a needle and really dig knitting, but making a WHOLE COSTUME is something that I feel is far beyond my means!

Phoebedances

So.. moving along with my costume. I finally settled on a bra to use as the base. It's reallly pretty, and almost a shame to cut up for a costume, but, oh well. I found it at Ross, for $5.99.. a steal.

The only thing I could find online as 'buckram' was some stuff on ebay for about $7 a yard and then like $6 for shipping. I decided against it. Instead, I'm just using a very heavy/stiff interfacing as a substitute. I stitched a layer inside of the cups and then tried the bra back on before cutting the straps off. I decided that it works well and doesn't take up too much room in the cup. I sew evenly and try to not pull over tight on my stitches, so I hope not to shrink the cups.

For the back strap, I'm trying something a little new, but I'll post a picture of that tomorrow.

AngelaJP

Oh Phoebe, that's a gorgeous bra! Seems like everything's going roses with your costume, girl! :dance:

I didn't know I had to put reinforcement in the insides of the bra :confused: I wish I had told the designer/dressmaker about this, grrrrrrrr! I should have asked more questions.

Phoebedances

Oh Phoebe, that's a gorgeous bra! Seems like everything's going roses with your costume, girl! :dance:

I didn't know I had to put reinforcement in the insides of the bra :confused: I wish I had told the designer/dressmaker about this, grrrrrrrr! I should have asked more questions.

Oh, Angela, thank you. :)

A couple of theories about the stiff lining. If your cups are thicker material and your decorations aren't too heavy, you might be able to just use a coat of fabric stiffener on the inside before the lining is sewed in. Just don't soak through to the material that covers it. A couple of light coats and use one that can be washed, so if you sweat in it, it won't come off! This would also help keep the knots from the thread that was used to put the beads and sequins on from coming undone.

If your decorations aren't too heavy and you are a smaller cup size it may not matter so much. I think as a larger lady up top I need some signifigant structure to my bra. I don't use stretchy material for the band that goes around me. Also, the coins I'm using weigh quite a bit.

I think this makes a big difference too.. the weight of really long, heavy fringe or coins dangling about tends to pull at the bra. If your fringe is shorter or not on the top edge, it might not do that.

Last edited: