IAMED vs other dvd's

missanime

i wanted to know how many like the dvd's by IAMED and how many liked by someone else?

i've been doing the one by michelle joyce ('perfect hips') now, and while there's nothing wrong w/her per se, i also checked out some others like ansuya and sadie and found them to be far better in every way. at this point i'm more than happy to sell off the michelle dvd's...! i'm also kinda dissapointed by the new 'Luscious' (w/blanca and neon and sarah) - just not keen on neon's style (even tho i still think she does great for beginners in her 'instand bellydancer' ones).

i also have tons others......if anyone's interested pls feel free to PM me! :)

Maria_Aya

i wanted to know how many like the dvd's by IAMED and how many liked by someone else?

i've been doing the one by michelle joyce ('perfect hips') now, and while there's nothing wrong w/her per se, i also checked out some others like ansuya and sadie and found them to be far better in every way. at this point i'm more than happy to sell off the michelle dvd's...! i'm also kinda dissapointed by the new 'Luscious' (w/blanca and neon and sarah) - just not keen on neon's style (even tho i still think she does great for beginners in her 'instand bellydancer' ones).

I dont have any (I think lol) from IAMED, but I have ALL from Michelle Joyce and they are worthing their money !!!
I liked the most, the Stage ones.

Maria Aya, Greece

jenc

It depends what you want I'm sorry you don't like Luscious after I recommended it. I don't like the style of the dancers in that one....but I need to work on flexibility and undulations. I find that it really reminds me to remember to be graceful when drilling!! I also like using it to really work on getting everything moving PLUS it's cheap. although, if it was the same price as the others, I would probably not have recommended it.
Michelle Joyce, I also like because of the way you can drill individual sections of the routines, (Pop, Lock and Shimmy) or jst drill (DRills x 3). I feel that I am at a stage of wanting to perfect individual movements, and I want to work on transitions and weight placements so that I can do more complicated things for myself.

IAMED can be more expensive, and not necessarily better. I have IAMMED's Ultimate Combinations I and II which I would be willing to sell if anyone is interested.

Perhaps if you made a list of what you are looking for in a dvd. For example, for some people, learning a routine is most important. Which Ansuya and Sadie do you have?

missanime

It depends what you want I'm sorry you don't like Luscious after I recommended it. I don't like the style of the dancers in that one....but I need to work on flexibility and undulations. I find that it really reminds me to remember to be graceful when drilling!! I also like using it to really work on getting everything moving PLUS it's cheap. although, if it was the same price as the others, I would probably not have recommended it.
Michelle Joyce, I also like because of the way you can drill individual sections of the routines, (Pop, Lock and Shimmy) or jst drill (DRills x 3). I feel that I am at a stage of wanting to perfect individual movements, and I want to work on transitions and weight placements so that I can do more complicated things for myself.

IAMED can be more expensive, and not necessarily better. I have IAMMED's Ultimate Combinations I and II which I would be willing to sell if anyone is interested.

Perhaps if you made a list of what you are looking for in a dvd. For example, for some people, learning a routine is most important. Which Ansuya and Sadie do you have?

hey :) no need to apologize. i previewed the Luscious, plus i liked Neon's clear instructions on her 'instant bellydancer' dvd, so w/that i took investment :) but at the same time, while i am slowly improving i'd also like to *not* follow in Neon's club-like style, hence why i'd rather opt early in my learning w/a bit more authentic moves :)

i've now seen quite a few IAMED's on youtube, and the instructions and content looked like better quality in their overal teaching........no?

:)

missanime

I dont have any (I think lol) from IAMED, but I have ALL from Michelle Joyce and they are worthing their money !!!
I liked the most, the Stage ones.

Maria Aya, Greece

thank you maria :)
no there's nothing wrong w/the content or what michelle teaches in her dvd's. but from IAMED's ansuya's dvd she seemed to teach more like what i'm used to when i studied ballet and modern.

again, thank you :)

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Michelle's (Cheeky Girls Productions) and IAMED are, IMHO, of equivalent quality. WDNY often are too - although instructors vary, you may like one over the other, blah, blah. However, IAMED should be ashamed of themselves for their highway robbery prices! Cheeky Girls in particular proves a DVD doesn't need to cost $50 to be a quality production.

Sita

The only place I've noticed the difference is in the cost :mad:an example in point I wanted a DVD that dealt with the different MED rhythms and found Jenna's The Heartbeat of belly dance and Tamra Henna's IAMED Arabic Rhythms & Combinations. Now the big difference was the price Jenna's was £13.95 Tamra £25.00. Now from being online and reading forums entries I know many people here have recommended Jenna's DVD's so I would have picked that one however it had sold out. I ended up with Tamra's which is v.good however the price is closer to what you have to pay for a professional workshop.

Sita

teela

I think it really depends on what material you are after. IAMED has three DVD's that I love and to me are totally worth the cost. First is Tamra-Henna's Arabic Rhythms in which she breaks down certain rhythms, shows combinations and gives advice on the best way to dance to these. Second is Artemis's Turkish style bellydance which gives people enough information to begin doing Turkish style and Last is Magnificent Moves with Zahra Zuhair which gives lots of indepth information and combinations for egyptian styles. I have many others from IAMED that I own and use but these are my three favourites. Michelle Joyce has provided the Drills, Drills, Drills and the drum solo one I adore. I am anxiously awaiting her Killer Zils because it looks like she will be covering some drill patterns I've not seen elsewhere. On so many of the instructional DVD's, it all boils down to what you like and what you are looking for. World Dance in NY has a couple DVD's on Egyptian dance that I am anxiously awaiting the release of. As you can tell I am interested in Egyptian style.

jenc

All I can say is that if you look at the sheer amount per money....... IAMED are on the pricey end and World Dance are often very good vfm. Identify what you want and ask around. Compare reviews and ask WHY other people like something or mark it down. they are often looking for different things than you are, so that may give you a clue.
for myself, I like to drill in styles that I don't necessarily want to dance as I find that the exaggerated style of Luscious, or for that matter tribal help me to push myself and develop fluidity or muscle control that I can then ignore but which have helped me to strengthen and develop a background to movement - if that makes sense

missanime

that totally makes sense, jenc :)

expanding your skills *and* exposure i think is essential, not just to know something but to go beyond what you've already accomplished :)

however, i'm still so basic, hence, my Q here about the iamed dvd's and which ones people liked. from the previews (youtube), i'm really liking Ansuya's and Sadie's alot and would like to take my learning in that direction (and yes, i'd think i'd like to later add in rachel brice's tribal) :)

missanime

omg teela - those were some of the others i saw too and really liked them :) may i ask - does ansuya or sadie have any beginner-level instructionals? i didn't find any on iamed's site or anywhere else!

thank you so much :)

missanime

hi sita :)

yes, i think i'm discovering just that - the price says nothing if you don't like a particular style of teaching, and yet the fact that i found ansuya's and sadie's teaching was much more like what i'm used too: classes. and for me i'd be MUCH more willing to spend for that instead.

thank you so much sita!

missanime

Michelle Joyce has provided the Drills, Drills, Drills and the drum solo one I adore. I am anxiously awaiting her Killer Zils because it looks like she will be covering some drill patterns I've not seen elsewhere.

oh btw.....if you're interested, i read on amazon that rachel brice will supposedly come out w/a new dvd in october. there was much reviews on her current one (that has yoga on it, not the arm movement one) that i'm now hoping she'll expand the bellydance excersizes and not so much on the yoga part.

only if you were interested in this :)