What to do in a competition?

Vivi_Mahaila

Hello! I would like some tips about competition here. I am going to dance in a competition on this sunday but I am very nervous... I dont know if I have to do the most different dance steps I know or just make a simple dance.
I dont like competition (it's my first time competing), but this will be very important to my carrer.
The category is "professional" and I am just 18 years old...so I am afraid that the judges dont take me seriously.
What do the judges will search in my dance besides posture, steps and musical knowledge?

Thank you all :)

Salome

Administrator
What do the judges will search in my dance besides posture, steps and musical knowledge?

Thank you all :)

I am not a competition expert so I could be off here... but I would think a well organized, good competition would give you a check list of the things the judges will be looking at - at least after you have registered to participate.

I would assume things like your costume, your physical presentation (hair/makeup/body), your performance skills - how you interact, your ability to be expressive, engaging, entertaining, ability to emote, use of the performance space, solid presentation of the style you are doing, all the aspects of technique, and musicality...

Shanazel

Find some friendly dancers who have competed before and ask them your questions. One of my students competed in a contest a couple of years ago and discovered things like "these judges like lots of glitter in the hair and on the skin" and "be sure to look at the judges during your dance." Of course, then her fellow contestants explained that you can't actually see the judges because of the lights, but figure out where they are ahead of time and aim a smile or sultry look that direction.

AngelaJP

Salome and Shanazel gave you excellent advice, girl!

Is there a way you could know the criteria for judging and the backgrounds of the judges so that you'll know what kind of person (likes and dislikes) of each judge?

You may also ask an expert or experienced professional to give you a critique.

Good luck, Vivi! :clap:

I am not a competition expert so I could be off here... but I would think a well organized, good competition would give you a check list of the things the judges will be looking at - at least after you have registered to participate.

I would assume things like your costume, your physical presentation (hair/makeup/body), your performance skills - how you interact, your ability to be expressive, engaging, entertaining, ability to emote, use of the performance space, solid presentation of the style you are doing, all the aspects of technique, and musicality...

This is true from my experience! However category designations help the dancer detemine her level prior to competing. In other words the dancer must have a realistic assessment of her skills and compete accordingly.
I participated in a contest in 2007 and came away with second place in the professional category. The other participants were amazingly smooth and beautiful dancers. I felt honored to dance among them.
The best part of this and many contests is the feedback in the form of a written commentary that describes your perfomance based on the judging criteria. This allows every dancer to recieve an objective evaluation.

If you are afraid that the judges won't take you seriously, then it will translate into your body language and affect your presentation. They won't be judging your age but how you present your dance.

Know your music. Not just the sound of it..but what does it mean?
Practice in your costume
Bring a second copy of your music
Relax and provide an emotional connection to the dance
Wear a COVER UP when not perfoming or wear street clothes
Fix your make-up and fluff your hair in the dressing area
Support the other dancers..be friendly even though others may be bitchy
Don't just focus on the judges..engage the audience if there is one
Make sure you stay within the time limit

You may have noticed that I didn't mention one thing about dance steps. If you are in the professional category, then now is the time to act like one. The dance is the vehicle for what lies within you! Good Luck and tell us how you did!:D
Yasmine

Last edited:

Vivi_Mahaila

Thank you all for the tips. I am going to pass all these things to my dance.
I hope to have a good experience in the competition.
Later, I will post here what happened there.

Byee

Vivi_Mahaila

Hey girls, the competition was yesterday and I didn't win...my choreography was beautiful but I was very very nervous and didn't make a good dance :(
But, one more time, thanks for the tips, I'll try to do it better next time.

Hey girls, the competition was yesterday and I didn't win...my choreography was beautiful but I was very very nervous and didn't make a good dance :(
But, one more time, thanks for the tips, I'll try to do it better next time.

It's only the first step...not the last. That was part of your overall learning experience. At 18 and with years ahead of you..you can become the dancer you envision in your head.

Yes you were nervous. We all are nervous when we dance. yes you disappointed yourself..yep we 've been there too. Yet it didn't kill you
we love ya girl..keep dancing!!!:dance:
Yasmine

AngelaJP

Hey girls, the competition was yesterday and I didn't win...my choreography was beautiful but I was very very nervous and didn't make a good dance :( But, one more time, thanks for the tips, I'll try to do it better next time.

Hey Vivi, congratulations for the fun and the priceless learning experience! :dance: You rock, girl. I agree with Yasmine, it is only the first step. I am confident that you will not be that nervous anymore next time and you'll know what to do.

I have joined competitions of different types of sports (not dancing! :shok:) and have won and lost but I learn valuable lessons, have loads of fun and add to my stack of the best memories ever! I don't know how it is for dance since I'm new to this, but for me, my competitions in sports were one of the best ways to improve my skills, attitude, discipline and frustration tolerance.

Again, congratulations! :clap: