Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the family, Aanchal!

I bet belly dance is big in India. You must have loads of beautiful costumes there, especially the skirts! Belly dance, for me, is very liberating. I too have very little grace but I see a little improvement after so much effort, hehe.

See you around!

Angela

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AngelaJP View Post
    Welcome to the family, Aanchal!

I bet belly dance is big in India. You must have loads of beautiful costumes there, especially the skirts! Belly dance, for me, is very liberating. I too have very little grace but I see a little improvement after so much effort, hehe.

See you around!

Angela
    Heyy
    Oh yeah... the clothes are lovely and I love skirts soo yippeee for dance class I love my lessons... No, sadly belly dancing isn't big here... still a very niche form. Also those who start usually do it for 2 months and then leave I plan to stick to it though it;s just soo beautiful! Cya around!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ink View Post
    Heyy
    Oh yeah... the clothes are lovely and I love skirts soo yippeee for dance class I love my lessons... No, sadly belly dancing isn't big here... still a very niche form. Also those who start usually do it for 2 months and then leave I plan to stick to it though it;s just soo beautiful! Cya around!
    Grretings and welcome to you, Anachal; we're very glad to have you join us. *huggles* You'll proabably meet Dipali later on; he's so very nice.

Now, this is something I've only heard, so please tell me if I've heard correctly. I've heard that bellydance is frowned upon in India, and I've also read that Neena and Veena (the Bellytwins) upset their family when they became bellydancers. So s bellydancing truly looked down upon, or is it that it just hasn't gained the popularity that it's enjoying in other countries? I would like to know.

I love bhangra music and dance. Do you know any native dances of your country?

I hope we get to know one another.
    Last edited by Farasha Hanem; 09-26-2008 at 05:24 PM. Reason: stupid typewriter keys are sticking and making me type typos; grrrrrrr...

Post Thanks / Like

India! Wow. I've always wanted to go there!

Welcome!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Farasha Hanem View Post
    Grretings and welcome to you, Anachal;

Now, this is something I've only heard, so please tell me if I've heard correctly. I've heard that bellydance is frowned upon in India, and I've also read that Neena and Veena (the Bellytwins) upset their family when they became bellydancers. So s bellydancing truly looked down upon, or is it that it just hasn't gained the popularity that it's enjoying in other countries? I would like to know.

Hey

You are very correct (in a way). I mean Indian dance forms are highly respected in the country and then we got some normal popular western dance techniques which people did learn. It's only recently - since the last 2 years i guess- that other forms of ballroom dance like salsa jive et. al has become a real popular thing to go learn.

Belly dancing classes were looked down on mostly because of the popular misconception that it's a dance to seduce men . It wasn't looked at as a beautiful dance form. But things are slowly changing. we have a lot more classes and a lot more teachers here. It's still frowned upon in smaller towns, but in the cities people go like "wow wow" when i tell them I'm belly dancing!

Infact these days we also have poll dance classes! so yeah, anything goes!

Btw. where are you from?

Post Thanks / Like

Belly dancing classes were looked down on mostly because of the popular misconception that it's a dance to seduce men . It wasn't looked at as a beautiful dance form.

Somehow all countries go through this fase with belly dance when it's a new thing. I have no idea were that misconception comes from, but you can find it all around the world

Post Thanks / Like

Hey

You are very correct (in a way). I mean Indian dance forms are highly respected in the country and then we got some normal popular western dance techniques which people did learn. It's only recently - since the last 2 years i guess- that other forms of ballroom dance like salsa jive et. al has become a real popular thing to go learn.

Belly dancing classes were looked down on mostly because of the popular misconception that it's a dance to seduce men . It wasn't looked at as a beautiful dance form. But things are slowly changing. we have a lot more classes and a lot more teachers here. It's still frowned upon in smaller towns, but in the cities people go like "wow wow" when i tell them I'm belly dancing!

Infact these days we also have poll dance classes! so yeah, anything goes!

Btw. where are you from?
    I'm from the state of Oklahoma, in the USA. We have a budding bellydance community here, and so far, people seem quite receptive of it. At least, I haven't personally run into opposition so far, except from the former pastor of my church, who still doesn't know I've taken up bellydance class. He, too, has the notion that bellydance's primary goal is to seduce men. Otherwise, my family, friends, and co-workers have been quite accepting of it. In fact, one of my co-workers made it a point to one of my customers that bellydance is an art form (yay for him!). I'm glad that most of the GP is finally getting it, at least where I live.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello from Ohio. I, too, am just learning and am thrilled with this site. I visit it daily to see what is new and what everyone is discussing. I am fascinated by your country. Welcome!

Post Thanks / Like

Default hi

Hi Aanchal

I was learning to Veve for a long time, i had to drop becasue she is good for level 3-4 then she doesnt know what to teach and her fee goes inceasingly , she also throws lot of attitude and lot of student and celebrity stop taking any lessons from her

cheers

Hey!
    No, I'm not the Aanchal who runs Arts in motion . But yup, i do learn under Veronica and it's been so fantastic, will start level 3 next week!

I asked a senior student about Leena Vaswani, I have never met her but yes, she learns from Veronica too.

Will be great if u come back in Jan, are you coming for any shows in Mumbai? Keep me informed!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12