Thread: Ahmed Refaat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ahmed Refaat

Hello everyone!!!

I will take a workshop with Ahmed Refaat in october (malmo, sweden) and I want to know if some of you have been in his course... He will teach saidi, balidi, shabbi and eskandarani... Is he a good teacher?, do you know something about his experience in dance?...

thanks and have a nice weekend

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Gilda. As I'm in Copenhagen, just a bridge away , I would love to hear if you have more information about this workshop. Is there a webpage somewhere I can read more about it?
    Regards Gisela
    immer glimmer

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Gilda! *waves from Norway*

Ahmed is one of the best teachers and choreographers I have ever studied with. I was referred to him by Mohammed Kazafy while in Cairo this winter, and after the first private I declared him a genius. His choregraphies are amazing, among others I got a KILLER tahtib choreo from him.

He is not the kind of teacher to show up to show off, he is very concerned about his students, breaks things down clearly, and is just the friendliest, humblest person ever. Very creative, has loads of fun, "fresh" steps. Excellent dancer, excellent teacher. If you have the chance to study with him, go! I am leaving for Stockholm myself in 3 days just to take classes with him the whole weekend (read: torture him with my clumsiness ), I love his style!

You can read more about his background here: Nile Group Teachers Cairo Festival

I am also adding a little review written by Scottish dancer Lorna Gow ( bellylorna.blogspot.com) after taking his workshop at the Nile Group :

"This workshop just intrigued me. I had no idea who the teacher was, turns out he has been a celebrated folklorique dancer all over the world and most recently performed with the Reda troupe. Anyway- I was taken with the idea of 2 hour workshop which would cover 3 different styles, saaidi with cane, Eskandarani with melaya laf and Bambuti with spoons. It was as fast paced and frantic as I thought it might be!!!! 3 hours were defiantly needed to give each style the time they deserved. Ahmet is a fabulous choreographer and I loved the routines he did in each of the styles…. But I felt I had time to grasp the steps only and not enough time to get into the feel of each one. The stick dance was great, lots of nice touches, turns, ideas and very fast! Very balletic, and elegant although without much heavy earthy stuff. But lots of usable ideas! A dance I really wish I had videoed! The melaya (my favourite of the 3) was very swooshy- and oh my god did my arms and shoulders ache by the end with all the throwing the melaya up onto my arms then spreading it out again………. Ouch! Not much wrapping yourself up in the melaya – more using it a bit more like a veil- but some lovely turns. Bambuti I knew NOTHING about before the workshop and I would have loved a bit of a story behind it all… but basically we had spoons where the handles where joined together to they looked a bit like castanets, which you had to tap out the rhythms by hitting various parts of your anatomy in time with the music. The music was great- often with empty pauses in it to give the dancer time to fill the gap with the spoon sound, and it all reminded me a bit of Morris dancing to be honest."

AND you can see him on Youtube here:
    YouTube - Ahmed Refat \ ????? ?????

and here (Ahmed at the left):
    YouTube - Danza del Tahtib

So that`s a lot of promotion from me, Ahmed himself is so humble he will never do it (and he will die of embarassment if he finds out I did ), so somebody has to!

Post Thanks / Like

hej gisela!!

I just got a mail with his CV and what kind of courses he will give in Malmö, but one of my friends told me that all the information is already in this webpage.... hopefully I will see you there I already registered!!!

http://www.zhagareet.org/

Post Thanks / Like

hej raqsmarta!!!

thanks for all the information... I think this workshop will be a good experience for me and I will learn a lot of things with Ahmed...

have a nice day!

Post Thanks / Like

Hej Gilda, Thank's for the info. It sounds like a great workshop. Unfortunately you have to be a member of Zaghareet to participate so with the travel expense, membership fee and workshop fee I dont think it's working out so great for me this time.
    Hope you have a great time and tell us all about it afterwards.
    If you are interested in coming to copenhagen for workshops then just send me a message. There are some nice workshops 1-2 nov and this coming weekend we have Aida Nour, although I don't have money to go .
    immer glimmer

Post Thanks / Like

Hej Gisela!

Aida Nour!!!!!!!!! I love her!!!!!!!! please send me all the information please, please!!!

I would like to take another workshop with her.... she is amazing!!!!

see you

Post Thanks / Like

They don't have a website for this but I copied the information from the local Bellydance calendar. It's in danish but I hope you understand. Maybe if there still is space in the workshops you could ask to pay on arrival or something, since it's so soon. (Of course if you call you put 0045 in front of the nr.)

"Oplev Aida Nour

4-5 Oktober
    København
    Hørsholmsgade 20
    Dansens hus, lok. 4

Weekend Workshop med Aida Nour (Egypten)

10.00-12.00 let øvet/øvet
    12.30-14.30 øvet

Pris: 4 time - 700 Kr
    8 time - 1200 Kr.

Info og tilmelding:
    Martin Kiskson 28 57 48 51
    email: maka(at)webspeed(dot)dk
    el. Lela 23 60 23 76 "

oh god i want to go!!!
    immer glimmer

Post Thanks / Like

Just posted at youtube !!!!