Glute Shimmy

Nur Al Leyali

So I'm back in class again haha. After 7 years experiance as a refresher course on egyptian style and my leg powered shimmy isnt the same no matter how i practice maybe its m but i dont know .. SO heres the question can I power my leg shimmy with a glute shimmy layered on top. Is that a move because I think maybe I could try. I love learning. And if so How to do a glute shimmy? I have a pure egyptian style, And am not used to the glute thing But Im a fast learner . And My glutes can bounc my buttocks with ease so im thinking perhapes it is something like that only seperate sides but I want to learn correctly ,.... Any instructors here got a suggestion on a properly learned glute shimmy ... I have experiance with fusions also . So a little history on my syles so you will bet know how to explain... Egyptian #1.... #2 American caberet. Tribal fusion. ( very muscular) . umm Ive done flamenco fusion alot for hispanics. And club-bellydance deserves its own catagory, Im sure your familiar why. AND the real Tribal not americanized but breifly. nothing really definatly learned from that. But thats my history . If a Instructer or a professional could tell me the glute move ina term I would understand easily , And I know the names of almost all the moves.... I would appreciate it. I cant ask my instructor she doesnt promote fusions . But thats her prefernce. She is a beautiful teacher and I love her after only one class. Miss Aziza of birmingham Alabama . The greatest friendliest teacher I have seen. Any way Help would greatly be appreciated from any who have the time to answer encluding you guys out there Ive seen alot of glute shimmies from you and I definatly think you got it gong on with that so tell me how. No playin I want to learn. And not shy to work for it . i will do the work if you tell me how . thanks all you lovely ladies and gents!:dance:

missanime

hi :)

i learned the glute shimmy from Neon's dvd, and the leg shimmy is much harder for me. may i ask if you do any strengthening to help w/that? or did you just practice the leg shimmys alot?

thanks, and good luck w/your own question :) (wish i could help....)

anna25

yeah, what is a glute shimmy?
I only know hip shimmy (fast side kicks of the hip)
knee shimmy (knees forward and backwards as if you shiver)
twist shimmy (fast twist forward and backwards of the hip)

Nur Al Leyali

A glute shimmy is where you glute muscles move the shimmy, I my self wantto now how its done . But in a simply explained way.

missanime

A glute shimmy is where you glute muscles move the shimmy, I my self wantto now how its done . But in a simply explained way.

the way i learned it was by simply squeezing your butt muscles but not forgetting your thigh muscles when doing it. again - i only got this from Neon's dvd. would love to know how others do it myself :)

Farasha Hanem

So there's still leg action going on, at least the way you do it? Do you bend your knees deeply, or are they just slightly bent?

Nur Al Leyali

the way i learned it was by simply squeezing your butt muscles but not forgetting your thigh muscles when doing it. again - i only got this from Neon's dvd. would love to know how others do it myself :)

Sweety, Can you be a little bit more specific with your description as to how to move other then squeezing... Squeeze one side and then.......
get what Im saying .... Be the teacher.
Be descriptive. Tell us exactly how you move the move. That way we understand better because we cant see you .;) waiting anxiously :dance:

Kashmir

Sweety, Can you be a little bit more specific with your description as to how to move other then squeezing... Squeeze one side and then.......
Be descriptive. Tell us exactly how you move the move. That way we understand better because we cant see you .;) waiting anxiously :dance:

Contract left glute (gluteus maximus aka bum cheek - but in fact I suspect the contraction triggers a reflex contraction in some of the other deep muscles like the piriformis or obturator externus). Relax left glute and contract right glute. Knees soft so the hip has room to move, but not very bent. No leg action at all.

Once you can do it slowly, increase tempo and stamina (glute shimmy is hard work).

If you cannot contract a single glute, try getting someone to poke you (gently) in the middle of it. You can train the muscle this way :cool:

Academic enough? :)

missanime

oh dear....i'm afraid i suck at teaching lol! i think this youtube is a great way to show you tho :)

and in dance:
YouTube - Belly Dancing for Beginners : Hip Snap Move in Belly Dancing

hth! :D

Last edited:

gisela

Super Moderator
I didn't think glute shimmies involved a weight shift as in the second video. That looks just like ordinary hip snaps where you involve the glutes to make it sharp. I'm having a hard time getting the glute thing to make a shimmie. Not that I neeeed to know this move but I'm a bit curious. I can squeeze each glute separately and pretty fast, but there is no movement other than on my backside.

Sita

Hi All,
Just a question I can do a variant of what I presume you mean by a 'glute shimmy' i.e vibrate my butt using my glutes through my experience with hip hop/ragga music and dance however I have never used it in Belly dance because I felt it was too much like the moves done in Ma3alaya, am I wrong in thinking this??

Sita

Last edited:

missanime

I didn't think glute shimmies involved a weight shift as in the second video. That looks just like ordinary hip snaps where you involve the glutes to make it sharp. I'm having a hard time getting the glute thing to make a shimmie. Not that I neeeed to know this move but I'm a bit curious. I can squeeze each glute separately and pretty fast, but there is no movement other than on my backside.

yea, i learned the hip snap *w/o* moving the rest of my body too. i was just trying to show the glute working in a bellydance form :)

Aniseteph

Calling anatomy/shimmy experts!

My imaginary bellydance skeleton is back.... :D

Question for the shimmy experts: twisty shimmies aside, are the bones doing basically the same movement in the knee, thigh or glute varieties (hips go up and down while the centre stays put), but the movement is just being generated from a different place?

And the different effects come from the muscle groups moving the bones at slightly different angles and different bits working vs. wobbling? Imagine a slow motion 3D x-ray where you can only see the bones - subtle differences of angles aside, would all three look basically the same? Pelvis see-saw'ing and legs bending and straightening?

Dunno if I'm explaining this well but it would REALLY help me get my head round it and focus on controlling what I'm doing instead of making like a frantic jelly. :rolleyes:

missanime

My imaginary bellydance skeleton is back.... :D

Question for the shimmy experts: twisty shimmies aside, are the bones doing basically the same movement in the knee, thigh or glute varieties (hips go up and down while the centre stays put), but the movement is just being generated from a different place?

And the different effects come from the muscle groups moving the bones at slightly different angles and different bits working vs. wobbling? Imagine a slow motion 3D x-ray where you can only see the bones - subtle differences of angles aside, would all three look basically the same? Pelvis see-saw'ing and legs bending and straightening?

Dunno if I'm explaining this well but it would REALLY help me get my head round it and focus on controlling what I'm doing instead of making like a frantic jelly. :rolleyes:

i can only speak from studying other forms of dance, but....i would think so :) as giving emphasis (on the down move, on the up move, etc) would then give that same movement a different look. just guessing here.....would love to know what the experts say too :D

Nur Al Leyali

Omg!!!!!!!

I have that DVD by Suhaila i love it but it burns me bootty owwwwyyyy ouchhhyyy and I have a boo boo for 2 days But I will never give up !!!!!! Buns of steel ( or steel plated tin) Here I come baby!!!!!
And I got a youtube thingy and here is one on my videos note the shimmy .... Any Pointers?

And those were flutters my cam didnt pick it up cause it hates me!
I have this one with a shimmy too Take a look...

Oh and check out the improv on that one.... Oh you guys see the booboo I treated it like if i was performing and i modified it into a move quick thinking huh!

Ok in the last one I put it Beacause I have a question ... Is it me or is my hip not going High enough up to make that accent on the hip bumps because if i lock it in it doesnt go as high ...Wut u think of that any feed back?

Oh and sorry for the cymbals (zils) my heart wasnt in it that day

Last edited:

Samira bint Aya

Chiftetelli and zills

Dear Nur,

It was nice to see you dance! I liked your shimmy :clap: From the video it’s hard to see the movement in detail, is this a hip shimmy partly driven by the knees? Whatever it was it looked nice though!

Strictly speaking, we are not supposed to play finger cymbals with the chiftetelli rhythm. Having said that, Elsa Leandros uses this beautiful pattern: 123 1 123 1 123 1 123 123 123 for slow chifti.

And also, I have discovered old greek recordings from the 1920s where zills are used with slow chiftetelli following the triplet pattern (123 123 123).