Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hip scarves

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hip scarves

We're advised to wear hip scarves in class, but my (only a few weeks) new one unravelled this evening while we stepping through some new choreo. Beads and coins everywhere (I was mortified)!

So I was wondering if anybody, particularly the other Australian members, knew where I'd be able to get a sturdy, affordable hip scarf that's less likely to come apart when shimmying. I bought my current one from an ebay store.

Thanks HEAPS for any suggestions!

Post Thanks / Like

Where abouts in Australia are you? There is a fantastic shop in Adelaide (Egyptian Bazaar) and a few more dotted around other parts of the country. Being in Perth most of mine come from eBay though. If your interested I can let you know the eBay stores I buy from that have quality hipscarves.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

hello gwinity x

sorry to hear about your lost hip scarf ! I am going to Cairo in a week to buy some fantastic stock - which will include hip scarves of the highest quality, (mostly 'farasha' or 'butterfly' hip scarves) all of which will be on my up and coming website within the next month (watch this space !).
    In the mean time, if there are any specific colours that you like, or patterns of the coins, beads, crochet etc. then please do let me know, and I will personally select a hip scarf for you whilst I am down in the depths of Cairo ! . That goes for anyone else too, if there is anything in particular that any of you lovely ladies are desperate to get hold of, as we all know Cairo is the heart of belly dance (I buy from the workshops themselves, not shops) and I will do my best to aquire what you are looking for. Nothing will be paid up front - I will post pictures to you and if you are happy with it we will take if from there. That also goes for DVD's, Music etc.
    happy to be of assistance !
    Love Demelza xx

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Ladies.
    I must say I have the same problem only yesterday I have spend an houre soweing missing coins to my hip scarf and after 10 minutes of dancing the the once were still one started faling off. I have a nother one my aunt brought me from Cairo but it is reserved for performances. and now I can't practice with my hip scarf on. It is realy hard to do shimmy withought it now after some months with it on. Anywey. If you would finde red one Demelza and you wont be neede it let me now.
    Love, Alaya

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Demelza!
    Quote Originally Posted by Demelza View Post
    hip scarves of the highest quality, (mostly 'farasha' or 'butterfly' hip scarves) xx
    Sorry, I have stupid question - what does meen "farasha" and "butterfly" hip scarws. Do You have a picture of hip scarves like that?

Post Thanks / Like

hello Thara.
    I'll try to get a picture on here within the next couple of days. 'Farasha' is butterfly in arabic. It's basically just the name of a particular style of hip scarf. Most of them involve crochet designs aswell as the usual coins and beads, usually with a stunning background print too. xx
    Demelza B.

Post Thanks / Like

hi Alaya !
    I'll definately be bringing some red ones - make sure you watch this space !! I'll put pictures on as soon as I get back.
    Anything else just let me know,
    Love Demelza XX

Post Thanks / Like

WOW, thank you so much for the suggestions, ladies! (And I'm glad I'm not the only one, Alaya!)

Mouse, I'm in Melbourne, but just about all of my purchases have been via ebay as well, as I don't have much time to hit the shops. The scarf I bought came from this ebay seller - I don't know if it was a faulty one, or just sheer bad luck. Where do you get your dance-stuff from?

Demelza, may I ask how much a scarf from Cairo would cost? (Do you have a website?) One of my classmates was describing a butterfly scarf and it sounds gorgeous!

Post Thanks / Like

yes Gwinity, they'll be around £22.00 for a 'farasha', and £16.00 for a more basic one called 'nour'. D xx

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there ,i wear in class a soft raw cotton 90 cm by 90 cm piece sqarf,just plain it is soft ,and i can tie it as i like it is great to wear ...sometime,s i twist 2 together i purchased i few and die them to match with my leotards ,so great solution and no coins or beats on the floor to step in...but i knowit is looking pretty when you wear all the shiny coins stuff, but for me this works great...happy hip dropping lydia

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast