Hip scarves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reen.Blom

This is such an awesome idea! Wonder what would work better nailpolish or superglue?(I put coins and beads on my practice top, had to use thick thread as fishing line was making the design bulge too much!)

What is used on hip scarves, thread or fishline? Those coins are darn sharp!

gwinity

As far as I can see, they just use ordinary crochet cotton on hip scarves (or the cheaper ones I own, anyway), and the coins do saw through them. I don't think it matters whether you use glue or nailpolish to secure it, as long as you *somehow* reinforce the thread!

Keltic_Oryantal

Hey, where did this lightbulb come from? *swats at it*

Mouse, I'm in Melbourne, but just about all of my purchases have been via ebay as well, as I don't have much time to hit the shops. The scarf I bought came from this ebay seller - I don't know if it was a faulty one, or just sheer bad luck.

I did a small search and found nothing so... do we have a page dedicated to bad sources and good sources for costumes/garb? I don't want to ruffle any feathers, but seriously, if we get enough "gee, I bought this from soandso and it fell apart" and we see it's the same soandso time and again it would be nice to warn our dance sisters not to waste their money. It also tells this soandso that maybe they need to step up their game or they're going to loose business.

Perhaps a sticky in Market Place? What do you think?

This is such an awesome idea! Wonder what would work better nailpolish or superglue?

Be careful with superglue, especially putting superglue on top of some other kind of glue! Heh, my man and I found that out the hard way when he tried fixing one of my heels. The top of the sole had rolled back from the heel so the underside was exposed. (They were my favorite heels! :( I ddin't have the money at the time to take them to the shoe hospital.) He dabbed it underneath sole, pushed down and he thought it was strange when the sole started to get warm, then it started smoking! :shok: We were laughing so hard, thinking my heels were hot enough to catch on fire. I think he ran it under water and everything was fine, but still, that was a little weird.

For anyone interested (especially those who make or fix their own costumes) Wholesale Beads and Jewelry Making Supplies - Fire Mountain Gems and Beads is an excellent resource, the word affordable is an understatement and the company is definately trustworthy. I've been using them for a while, they have an insane variety of goods and their catalogue is free. The coins may or may not be authentic to certain needs but I would recommend the source to anyone, escpecially for beading.

Last edited:

MeganJane

I heard that to sew on a button securely, you can use dental floss! I haven't tried it, but if it works for buttons, it could work for beads and coins! I plan to try this if I ever need to. If anyone tries it, let me know if it works. :)

I have one hip scarf from Egypt, and two cheap ones I got in some Asian fashion stores. They don't look as nice as the expensive Egyptian one, but they were a LOT cheaper, good for practising in, and haven't fallen apart yet. I have bought two more Egyptian ones off ebay that I haven't received yet.

I have a question: what exactly are hipscarves designed for? Just for practice or can you wear them as part of a performance costume, ie instead of a belt? Please forgive my ignorance; I just haven't found any information on this yet.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
WOW, thank you so much for the suggestions, ladies! (And I'm glad I'm not the only one, Alaya!)

Mouse, I'm in Melbourne, but just about all of my purchases have been via ebay as well, as I don't have much time to hit the shops. The scarf I bought came from this ebay seller - I don't know if it was a faulty one, or just sheer bad luck. :confused: Where do you get your dance-stuff from?

Demelza, may I ask how much a scarf from Cairo would cost? (Do you have a website?) One of my classmates was describing a butterfly scarf and it sounds gorgeous!
I am in Melbourne and sell hipscarves from home. I have velvets and chiffons. prices range from about AUD $30 to $36. I have a variety of colours. I use these hips carves myself and they are quite sturdy. Eventually coins/beads do come off, because of the movement it saws through the cotton. I always check all my own before using and i also have painted clear nail varnish on the sharp edges of the holes of the coins. this helps the threads to be stronger.

You can PM me if interested.
~Mosaic

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I can't wait to wear my new turquoise hip scarf in class next week. I am still trying to figure out what to wear to class...Probably something black...Happy dancing.

Not sure which one on the page you were looking at, but I love the pull on mini skirt style, very cute. bit expensive though works out at around AUD#58 then you have to add on shipping:(

Darbla

I have a question: what exactly are hipscarves designed for? Just for practice or can you wear them as part of a performance costume, ie instead of a belt?
I'm not sure what they're INTENDED for but, my troupe uses them both in practice and in performance. In a recent performance one of the girls side-tied a dark blue velvet/gold coins scarf, then side-tied the opposite way a black velvet/gold coins scarf. They were triangular scarves, and the points were down the outside of each hip. It was interesting, looked great, and pulled her outfit together really well (black/gold bra, deep blue skirt).

Darbla

kajal

Hipscarf

We're advised to wear hip scarves in class, but my (only a few weeks) new one unravelled this evening while we stepping through some new choreo. Beads and coins everywhere (I was mortified)!

So I was wondering if anybody, particularly the other Australian members, knew where I'd be able to get a sturdy, affordable hip scarf that's less likely to come apart when shimmying. I bought my current one from an ebay store.

Thanks HEAPS for any suggestions!

Hi,
I have one hipscarf.Its brand new,made it for sampling purpose.You can check the hipscarf on my website
Mode Mystique
The original price is $60.00.The sale price is $40.00
Mode Mystique

Let me know.You can even check for the other hipscraves listed on mywebsite

Regards,
Kajal
Email.rd_ent@vsnl.com

Missybell

I'm Aussie to and when I first started I didn't really know about any local bellydance suppliers, could have made a trip to Sydney but after my first class I just had to have one asap. I looked at a number of online stores and couldn't find many with a large range or that looked to be current and up-to-date (something I always look for in a store). Eventually I found Devs, I believe they have a physical store in QLD but their online catalogue is also quite good. I bought my first hipscarf from them over a year ago and wore it to many practices as it was the only one I had for a while. In that time I've only lost a couple coins. Their service was great, I had a small problem when my order didn't seem to complete (small web glitch) and they were really helpful in checking my order, then getting it shipped to me asap with a couple little extras thrown in for the trouble. I was also lucky enough to win one of their monthly prize draws and received a beautiful table runner.

The scarf itself is gorgeous, the same as this one but a bright fuchia pink with silver. I've since bought a few cheap practice scarves from the Queen Vic Markets while visiting Melbourne & family have sourced some for me as well. They're much lighter (and quieter) but just don't have the same richness, great for practice and if one falls apart I'm not too bothered. I'm really happy with the devs scarf though.

Sorry for such a long post, I get a bit enthusiastic about my scarves :p I've since found more online resources but haven't yet needed to buy anything.

EDIT: Just noticed when I saw my post that it's actually the coin scarf I'm wearing in my avatar pic, not that you can see much but that's the colour.

Last edited:

jenc

I have a question: what exactly are hipscarves designed for? Just for practice or can you wear them as part of a performance costume, ie instead of a belt? Please forgive my ignorance; I just haven't found any information on this yet.

A hip scarf MAY help when practising 3/4 shimmy or egyptian walk so you can hear the pause in the beat. Be careful at large workshops though, I always wear one with beading only as I want to be able to hear the instructor and the MUSIC NOT 30 plus noisy belts
Jen

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I always wear black jazz style pants with a diferent coloured top of which I have many, and I team my hipscarf with the colour of the top I am waering, so I have practically every colour imaginable. I also like to wear triangular shaped shawls with long fringes, and the plainer ones I often pop a contrasting coloured hipscarf over the top.

I bought the triangle shawls from Shanghai tailor on ebay

Here is a link. Scroll down a little and you'll see a red one on the right side, the embroidered ones are very pretty. I have 3 embroidered ones and 2 plain.
eBay Shop - Shanghai Tailor: Chiffon Shawls: Fashionable Cute Colorful Pop Art 100 Silk Scarf
~Mosaic

PS: I meant to add, that yes coin/bead hipscarves can be worn for both practice and events. and often are. Until recently I did not have a formal Bra & Belt set, so always worn a contrasting hipscarf over the skirt I was wearing.

Last edited:

jenc

I should also say that I have belly prob. Post menopause that is where my weight is< (I always had that tendancy anyway) I find that straight ones, or better still a T shaped one that I have stay in place better. If I don't pipn my triangular ones i shimmy them off
Jen

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I should also say that I have belly prob. Post menopause that is where my weight is< (I always had that tendancy anyway) I find that straight ones, or better still a T shaped one that I have stay in place better. If I don't pipn my triangular ones i shimmy them off
Jen

:lol: Oh I am always shimmying them off, no matter the shape or cut, I nearly always end up tucking the top edge in the band of my pants. For events They are strategically pinned!

I know that post meno (or is it 'meano' ) belly, it has attached itself to me, and no amount of cajoling or threats make it disappear!
~Mosaic

Status
Not open for further replies.