Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hip scarves

Post Thanks / Like

This is such an awesome idea! Wonder what would work better nailpolish or superglue?(I put coins and beads on my practice top, had to use thick thread as fishing line was making the design bulge too much!)

What is used on hip scarves, thread or fishline? Those coins are darn sharp!

Post Thanks / Like

As far as I can see, they just use ordinary crochet cotton on hip scarves (or the cheaper ones I own, anyway), and the coins do saw through them. I don't think it matters whether you use glue or nailpolish to secure it, as long as you *somehow* reinforce the thread!

Post Thanks / Like

Idea Hey, where did this lightbulb come from? *swats at it*

Quote Originally Posted by gwinity View Post
    Mouse, I'm in Melbourne, but just about all of my purchases have been via ebay as well, as I don't have much time to hit the shops. The scarf I bought came from this ebay seller - I don't know if it was a faulty one, or just sheer bad luck.
    I did a small search and found nothing so... do we have a page dedicated to bad sources and good sources for costumes/garb? I don't want to ruffle any feathers, but seriously, if we get enough "gee, I bought this from soandso and it fell apart" and we see it's the same soandso time and again it would be nice to warn our dance sisters not to waste their money. It also tells this soandso that maybe they need to step up their game or they're going to loose business.

Perhaps a sticky in Market Place? What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Reen.Blom View Post
    This is such an awesome idea! Wonder what would work better nailpolish or superglue?
    Be careful with superglue, especially putting superglue on top of some other kind of glue! Heh, my man and I found that out the hard way when he tried fixing one of my heels. The top of the sole had rolled back from the heel so the underside was exposed. (They were my favorite heels! I ddin't have the money at the time to take them to the shoe hospital.) He dabbed it underneath sole, pushed down and he thought it was strange when the sole started to get warm, then it started smoking! We were laughing so hard, thinking my heels were hot enough to catch on fire. I think he ran it under water and everything was fine, but still, that was a little weird.

For anyone interested (especially those who make or fix their own costumes) Wholesale Beads and Jewelry Making Supplies - Fire Mountain Gems and Beads is an excellent resource, the word affordable is an understatement and the company is definately trustworthy. I've been using them for a while, they have an insane variety of goods and their catalogue is free. The coins may or may not be authentic to certain needs but I would recommend the source to anyone, escpecially for beading.
    Last edited by Keltic_Oryantal; 05-09-2007 at 02:55 PM. Reason: *Run-on sentences, poor grammar, me yammering too much...meh.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL i hope the heels survived!

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

I want this hip scarf in red.

Dahlal Internationale

and

Dahlal Internationale

and

Dahlal Internationale

and

Need I go on????

Post Thanks / Like

Lol KuteNurse! I feel the same!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Reen.Blom View Post
    LOL i hope the heels survived!
    Sure did! Me mate's the glue master.

Post Thanks / Like

I heard that to sew on a button securely, you can use dental floss! I haven't tried it, but if it works for buttons, it could work for beads and coins! I plan to try this if I ever need to. If anyone tries it, let me know if it works.

I have one hip scarf from Egypt, and two cheap ones I got in some Asian fashion stores. They don't look as nice as the expensive Egyptian one, but they were a LOT cheaper, good for practising in, and haven't fallen apart yet. I have bought two more Egyptian ones off ebay that I haven't received yet.

I have a question: what exactly are hipscarves designed for? Just for practice or can you wear them as part of a performance costume, ie instead of a belt? Please forgive my ignorance; I just haven't found any information on this yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gwinity View Post
    WOW, thank you so much for the suggestions, ladies! (And I'm glad I'm not the only one, Alaya!)

Mouse, I'm in Melbourne, but just about all of my purchases have been via ebay as well, as I don't have much time to hit the shops. The scarf I bought came from this ebay seller - I don't know if it was a faulty one, or just sheer bad luck. Where do you get your dance-stuff from?

Demelza, may I ask how much a scarf from Cairo would cost? (Do you have a website?) One of my classmates was describing a butterfly scarf and it sounds gorgeous!
    I am in Melbourne and sell hipscarves from home. I have velvets and chiffons. prices range from about AUD $30 to $36. I have a variety of colours. I use these hips carves myself and they are quite sturdy. Eventually coins/beads do come off, because of the movement it saws through the cotton. I always check all my own before using and i also have painted clear nail varnish on the sharp edges of the holes of the coins. this helps the threads to be stronger.

You can PM me if interested.
    ~Mosaic

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't wait to wear my new turquoise hip scarf in class next week. I am still trying to figure out what to wear to class...Probably something black...Happy dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by KuteNurse View Post
    I want this hip scarf in red.

Dahlal Internationale

and

Dahlal Internationale

and

Dahlal Internationale

and

Need I go on????

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast