Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hip scarves

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KuteNurse View Post
    I can't wait to wear my new turquoise hip scarf in class next week. I am still trying to figure out what to wear to class...Probably something black...Happy dancing.
    Not sure which one on the page you were looking at, but I love the pull on mini skirt style, very cute. bit expensive though works out at around AUD#58 then you have to add on shipping

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, they are pricey! But very pretty.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MeganJane View Post
    I have a question: what exactly are hipscarves designed for? Just for practice or can you wear them as part of a performance costume, ie instead of a belt?
    I'm not sure what they're INTENDED for but, my troupe uses them both in practice and in performance. In a recent performance one of the girls side-tied a dark blue velvet/gold coins scarf, then side-tied the opposite way a black velvet/gold coins scarf. They were triangular scarves, and the points were down the outside of each hip. It was interesting, looked great, and pulled her outfit together really well (black/gold bra, deep blue skirt).

Darbla

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hipscarf

Quote Originally Posted by gwinity View Post
    We're advised to wear hip scarves in class, but my (only a few weeks) new one unravelled this evening while we stepping through some new choreo. Beads and coins everywhere (I was mortified)!

So I was wondering if anybody, particularly the other Australian members, knew where I'd be able to get a sturdy, affordable hip scarf that's less likely to come apart when shimmying. I bought my current one from an ebay store.

Thanks HEAPS for any suggestions!
    Hi,
    I have one hipscarf.Its brand new,made it for sampling purpose.You can check the hipscarf on my website
    Mode Mystique
    The original price is $60.00.The sale price is $40.00
    Mode Mystique

Let me know.You can even check for the other hipscraves listed on mywebsite

Regards,
    Kajal
    Email.rd_ent@vsnl.com

Post Thanks / Like

I'm Aussie to and when I first started I didn't really know about any local bellydance suppliers, could have made a trip to Sydney but after my first class I just had to have one asap. I looked at a number of online stores and couldn't find many with a large range or that looked to be current and up-to-date (something I always look for in a store). Eventually I found Devs, I believe they have a physical store in QLD but their online catalogue is also quite good. I bought my first hipscarf from them over a year ago and wore it to many practices as it was the only one I had for a while. In that time I've only lost a couple coins. Their service was great, I had a small problem when my order didn't seem to complete (small web glitch) and they were really helpful in checking my order, then getting it shipped to me asap with a couple little extras thrown in for the trouble. I was also lucky enough to win one of their monthly prize draws and received a beautiful table runner.

The scarf itself is gorgeous, the same as this one but a bright fuchia pink with silver. I've since bought a few cheap practice scarves from the Queen Vic Markets while visiting Melbourne & family have sourced some for me as well. They're much lighter (and quieter) but just don't have the same richness, great for practice and if one falls apart I'm not too bothered. I'm really happy with the devs scarf though.

Sorry for such a long post, I get a bit enthusiastic about my scarves :P I've since found more online resources but haven't yet needed to buy anything.

EDIT: Just noticed when I saw my post that it's actually the coin scarf I'm wearing in my avatar pic, not that you can see much but that's the colour.
    Last edited by Missybell; 02-18-2008 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Added ref to scarf in avatar pic

Post Thanks / Like

try .... Marzino
    Last edited by shopmarzino; 04-24-2008 at 04:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MeganJane View Post
    I have a question: what exactly are hipscarves designed for? Just for practice or can you wear them as part of a performance costume, ie instead of a belt? Please forgive my ignorance; I just haven't found any information on this yet.
    A hip scarf MAY help when practising 3/4 shimmy or egyptian walk so you can hear the pause in the beat. Be careful at large workshops though, I always wear one with beading only as I want to be able to hear the instructor and the MUSIC NOT 30 plus noisy belts
    Jen

Post Thanks / Like

I always wear black jazz style pants with a diferent coloured top of which I have many, and I team my hipscarf with the colour of the top I am waering, so I have practically every colour imaginable. I also like to wear triangular shaped shawls with long fringes, and the plainer ones I often pop a contrasting coloured hipscarf over the top.

I bought the triangle shawls from Shanghai tailor on ebay

Here is a link. Scroll down a little and you'll see a red one on the right side, the embroidered ones are very pretty. I have 3 embroidered ones and 2 plain.
    eBay Shop - Shanghai Tailor: Chiffon Shawls: Fashionable Cute Colorful Pop Art 100 Silk Scarf
    ~Mosaic

PS: I meant to add, that yes coin/bead hipscarves can be worn for both practice and events. and often are. Until recently I did not have a formal Bra & Belt set, so always worn a contrasting hipscarf over the skirt I was wearing.
    Last edited by Mosaic; 02-22-2008 at 01:25 PM. Reason: PS:

Post Thanks / Like

I should also say that I have belly prob. Post menopause that is where my weight is< (I always had that tendancy anyway) I find that straight ones, or better still a T shaped one that I have stay in place better. If I don't pipn my triangular ones i shimmy them off
    Jen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jenc View Post
    I should also say that I have belly prob. Post menopause that is where my weight is< (I always had that tendancy anyway) I find that straight ones, or better still a T shaped one that I have stay in place better. If I don't pipn my triangular ones i shimmy them off
    Jen
    Oh I am always shimmying them off, no matter the shape or cut, I nearly always end up tucking the top edge in the band of my pants. For events They are strategically pinned!

I know that post meno (or is it 'meano' ) belly, it has attached itself to me, and no amount of cajoling or threats make it disappear!
    ~Mosaic

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast