Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I also would like to join the applause here and say that you're a LOVELY dancer with great potential to make an even bigger connection with the music than you already are...and you do it well...your enjoyment is very obvious and I feel that is very important!
    One thing that I notice in many "American" style dancers is the choice to make everything 'light' and do much of the hip work on the 'up'...balady is so grounded...make your hip drops solid...keep knees VERY soft and really ground your dancing...light and airy uptop, but grounded to the earth at the same time!
    Gia

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

I like it
    I can't dance beledi yet though heaven knows i want to - i'm so drawn to it!

Someone was asking you earlier if you understand the structure of the song - Hossam Ramzy wrote an articule on Beledi and i think he explains it pretty well, i was able to follow it in my music once i read and understood it.

Here's a link to Shira's website where she has it posted:

"Baladi" by Hossam Ramzy

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful dance!

I've been working on my Baladi too, so only take this as a fellow student. You are still dancing a bit sophisticated for Baladi. The arms are Sharki: too graceful, too polished and baletic. Beautiful arms I thought, but not really Baladi. Baladi is so powerfully casual. Don't be afraid to pause, especially when the music does. Your dance has a beautiful flow, but maybe try to mix it up with some more pauses, gestures, and accents for texture.

Experts are very welcome to correct me, I'm sure it would help my understanding as well.

Post Thanks / Like

hi kiadorin,

I want to say first that you are a beautiful woman and your movements are very harmonic and fluid, I envy you for that special quality.

I guess jenc and Lydia Dubai are right- people of european or american background often interpetate the music 1:1 instead of playing with it.

Maybe that's because of our cultural or musical background- we feel so obliged to the music, and want to do it "right", instead of thinking that the music is carrying and supporting and underlining our movements.
    In egypt, the dancers pay the musicians, and they have to follow along her movements, watch her dancing and keep in touch with her performance.
    Listening to a song over and over and interpreting each little sound is not possible if you work like an egyptian dancer.

In my dance, (which isn't at all where I want it to be, since I'm not a pro), I try to interprete the music very freely, sometimes interpreting the rhythm, sometimes interpreting the melody or the general mood of the song, whatever inspires me more.
    And I try to think of a little story I want to tell or some picture I keep in mind (for instance dancing for a king or my lover or something, or being the most beautiful dancer ever, or a snake, or having a fire inside me.. just something that makes me want to dance instead of just moving).

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot, everyone. You've given me a lot of things to consider and improve upon.

Maybe that's because of our cultural or musical background- we feel so obliged to the music, and want to do it "right", instead of thinking that the music is carrying and supporting and underlining our movements.
    In egypt, the dancers pay the musicians, and they have to follow along her movements, watch her dancing and keep in touch with her performance
    I never really thought about it that way before, but I think you are right. I've always thought of it as my job to follow the music, not the other way around. Thanks, that helped me understand a bit better.

Post Thanks / Like

As a dancer you are one of the instruments playing the music.......... Think harmony...........think counterpoint

PS I wish I knew how to do what I am telling you to do ...lol!!!

Post Thanks / Like

If I'm not too late (post first then I'll see what everyone else said). Nice dancing - take that as given. Why would I say it wasn't Egyptian?

Arms - at the start far too busy. Egyptians (as a rule - always ready to be broken) don't dance with their arms. Too loose at times. Too fixed at others (Egyptians tend to move through the beledi second rather than hold them still - only recently been able to articulate this as my own students have taken the "don't wave your arms about" advice the same way by removing the life from the wrists and hands)

I liked the way you started with your back to the audience - but you could have started even more low key, with a simple walk.

Use the pauses - you don't need to move continuously. Breathe with the sax. Stop with the end of the breath. Do nothing (lots of Egyptian dancing is do nothing)

More juicy needed. Partly less arms, partly just let your body flow into the music.

If you want to look Egyptian, avoid the "do it on the left side, do it on the right side" pattern. Usually if it is repeated mirrored it will be some distance away and with a different overlay eg hip drops right with one position of arms, hip drops left with a different position.

But well done. And really brave to post it.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Kiadorin, I love Afrah Baladi too, very soulfull!!
    Thanks for posting the clip as I have learned something from the responses as well.
    I think you are a lovely dancer!!
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting your video. It was lovely to watch.
    Bravo to you!!!
    Lotus Dancer.

Post Thanks / Like

Kashmir put it into words so perfectly!

Kiadorin stay with it you are on the right path.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast