Thread: Cut from Stone

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cut from Stone

This is a clip from two years ago. Let me say right off, I do not put it "out there" as a "belly dance" work. It is a fusion piece. It is based in part on Michelangelo's secular sculptures, and the music is by Paco de Lucia: http://www.cobrajazzdance.com/CutFromStone.html

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Hm... I can't watch ( did I spell that right? Lol) it, for some reason won't pop up or whatever, but action shot looks good.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for trying, Sara. It's on YouTube now too, sometimes that works better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRKtiSkl_bo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Recnadocir View Post
    Thanks for trying, Sara. It's on YouTube now too, sometimes that works better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRKtiSkl_bo

Good clear video - and it's beautiful.

Post Thanks / Like

Blame his mother for dressing him funny, Grak.

I liked watching this. You have to understand that I do not have audio on the computer that stores my internet. This was absolutely lovely to watch in silence, and while I would like to see it with audible music as well, I suggest that you all view this particular piece without sound to appreciate it in a different way. Moving sculpture. Cool.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not usually very big on fusion pieces (a personal quirk nothing more), but I really enjoyed watching that clip. It was very graceful. Nice work Rico!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Shanazel and Mouse,

I was actually able to study a couple of the sculptures up close, as they are in the Louvre, a couple of his slaves. The others are in Florence or in Rome, I believe. In my pursuit of authenticity I also got most of the way through The Agony and the Ecstasy, and have to go back and finish it someday. It's a big 'un!

The low attitude turns with the one arm pulling the "bow," I actually got from a sketch he did, not a sculpture, showing young males shooting at a helpless human torso. Modern psycho-babble types hypothesize that the arrows symbolized the pain of his unrealizable homosexual yearnings for handsome youths, and he himself was the target, yadiyadiyadi. They have to go and try to spoil everything!

I actually have another dance somewhere, about Bacchus, with movements derived from Michelangelo's Bacchus sculpture as well as a painting with Bacchus as subject (Titian?), and paintings from Greek vases. It's set to a Chopin nocturne, and even less belly dance-y, almost none, but it seemed to be well received. I have to exhume it...

Post Thanks / Like

Great work and idea Rico
    Question, the performance is 100 choreographed, or you have also impro parts, or its a route choreo and you get in the music.
    In anycase loved it.

Maria Aya

Post Thanks / Like

Good video Rico, very nice to watch