Cut from Stone

Recnadocir

This is a clip from two years ago. Let me say right off, I do not put it "out there" as a "belly dance" work. It is a fusion piece. It is based in part on Michelangelo's secular sculptures, and the music is by Paco de Lucia: http://www.cobrajazzdance.com/CutFromStone.html

Sara

Hm... I can't watch ( did I spell that right? Lol) it, for some reason won't pop up or whatever, but action shot looks good. :D

Shanazel

Blame his mother for dressing him funny, Grak.

I liked watching this. You have to understand that I do not have audio on the computer that stores my internet. This was absolutely lovely to watch in silence, and while I would like to see it with audible music as well, I suggest that you all view this particular piece without sound to appreciate it in a different way. Moving sculpture. Cool.

Mouse

I'm not usually very big on fusion pieces (a personal quirk nothing more), but I really enjoyed watching that clip. It was very graceful. Nice work Rico!

Recnadocir

Thanks Shanazel and Mouse,

I was actually able to study a couple of the sculptures up close, as they are in the Louvre, a couple of his slaves. The others are in Florence or in Rome, I believe. In my pursuit of authenticity I also got most of the way through The Agony and the Ecstasy, and have to go back and finish it someday. It's a big 'un!

The low attitude turns with the one arm pulling the "bow," I actually got from a sketch he did, not a sculpture, showing young males shooting at a helpless human torso. Modern psycho-babble types hypothesize that the arrows symbolized the pain of his unrealizable homosexual yearnings for handsome youths, and he himself was the target, yadiyadiyadi. They have to go and try to spoil everything!

I actually have another dance somewhere, about Bacchus, with movements derived from Michelangelo's Bacchus sculpture as well as a painting with Bacchus as subject (Titian?), and paintings from Greek vases. It's set to a Chopin nocturne, and even less belly dance-y, almost none, but it seemed to be well received. I have to exhume it...

Maria_Aya

Great work and idea Rico :)
Question, the performance is 100 choreographed, or you have also impro parts, or its a route choreo and you get in the music.
In anycase loved it.

Maria Aya:)