Post Thanks / Like

Default Ohio in Search of Instructor

I made my way here while searching for information via the net...and frankly, not having a lot of luck.

My husband and I both share a great love of bellydance...Yes, he dances, no he is not gay, just is secure in who he is For a number of years now, we have bought numerous instructional tapes and have been working on dancing together; even our 7 year old son has now gotten into the dance with us

Now we agree, we have done as much as we feel we can, without a proper instructor to help...so have started looking for an instructor, willing to take on this family of 3, as students, in Southern Ohio. Okay, finding an Instructor, to start with, in our area, is all but impossible, add in that many list they will only work with female students....so I found myself here, hoping those of the board may be able to steer us in the right direction.

We would like to find an Instructor in the Southern Ohio area, but the cities of Cincinnati, Columbus and Huntington would all be viable, though a long drive. (we are actually located in the middle of nowhere, near where WV/KY and OH meet).

Can anyone help steer us in the right direction? Thanks so much and have a beautiful and blessed day

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum ladysun. Wow a bellydancing family
    Don't worry about anyone here thinking your hubby is gay, we have quite a few wonderful men bellydancers here. This is a dance that is loved by everyone who takes it up, all shapes sizes, ages, cultures, creeds, male and female. You have found a 'home' here.

I am sure that someone from US will be able to give you some info on classes somewhere around where you live or maybe point you to some web source. Members here are very welcoming and helpful.

Sure hope you find classes soon.
    ~Mosaic

Post Thanks / Like

I think there's a teacher directory here on orientaldancer.net and on Shira.net. Have you checked those? you might be able to find something there.

yes, here are quite a few: Belly Dance Classes in Ohio, United States

And here are loads of teachers: Belly Dance Lessons: Teacher & Performer Directory (States Ohio through Oregon)
    Last edited by gisela; 10-03-2008 at 01:06 PM.
    immer glimmer

Post Thanks / Like

Hello from northern Ohio! I too found this site and check in regularly, but am only a beginner. I live in the between Cleveland and Toledo, There are many instructors listed in the directories that everyone recommends, I had to drive to Toledo to seek out instruction with Kay Louise at The Place to Dance. It is great to be learning from a teacher, the dvd's can be great, but they don't tell you if your form is off. Good Luck in your search and don't give up. It took me a while to find mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the dancing family !!!
    Enjoy reading and posting, i'm sure that you will find a great teacher

Maria Aya, Greece

Post Thanks / Like

Hello and welcome,
    You are certainly very Lucky to have a husband (and son) who share this beautiful passion with you. I have tried numerous times with my husband, even tempting him with the sword, but to no avail (occasionally after a couple of red wines, hee hee.)
    Have you tried contacting teachers within a 3 - 6 hr range from you, and seeing if they offer workshops. Many teachers do weekend workshops, where they may do 3 or 4 w/shops in a weekend.
    It makes it worthwhile to travel to them.
    I am off to one this w/end, and it's 3 hours away, but she is a great teacher. I've just returned from one which was 8 hours away (but learn't some amazing dance.)
    Good Luck.
    Lotus Dancer.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum! One of our new members Rassi is
    from Southern Ohio and an instructor. Just drop her a pm (private
    message) and see if she can be of assistance!

It's great you are making dance a family fitness event.

All the best!