Total new.

Ines

Hi everyone and talk about new? I was watching tv and saw where a lady lost weight doing Belly Dancing and thought oh my that is for me. But how??
I cannot believe how lucky I was to find this forum board on this form of art.
I live in Florida and I am just past 50 myself. That sounds awful the age. But hey a young 50. :D
As I was reading can someone suggest a good cheap dvd for beginners? I don't know one artist from the othe, so any help would be great. Thanks and look forward to learning and meeting all.

Mouse

Hi Ines - welcome to the forum and to bellydance! I started with the Neena & Veena Fitness for Beginners, Basic Moves and Fat Burning video.

Last edited:

belly taz

hi there welcome to the forum..glad you could join us, im sorri i cant help you with any CD suggestions,but im sure someone else here will...happy posting:)

Dancing Spirit

Belly Dance = weight loss?

Hi,
I lost weight when I began Belly dancing - not just from Belly Dance - but from walking alot, changing my eating habits drastically and Belly Dancing every day because I wanted very much to wear all the different costumes and dance styles looking my very best
Sincerely Barbara www.thedancingspirit.com

da Sage

Hi everyone and talk about new? I was watching tv and saw where a lady lost weight doing Belly Dancing and thought oh my that is for me. But how??
As I was reading can someone suggest a good cheap dvd for beginners? I don't know one artist from the othe, so any help would be great.

I recommend Kathy Smith's Flex Appeal if you want an exercise video. It is accessible to beginners, reasonably priced, and much more "belly-dancy" than the Veena and Neena exercise videos I've seen.

Watch Ansuya on the video, because Kathy Smith (who technically leads the video), doesn't dance as well as Ansuya.

Welcome to the forum!

Gabi

I cannot believe how lucky I was to find this forum board on this form of art.
I live in Florida and I am just past 50 myself. That sounds awful the age. But hey a young 50. :D
As I was reading can someone suggest a good cheap dvd for beginners? I don't know one artist from the othe, so any help would be great. Thanks and look forward to learning and meeting all.

Hee hee - hi there and I'm 55 and just starting. I've always danced in some form but never had Belly Dance instruction before. I'm also a distance runner and much to my surprise I lost about 7+ lbs in my first month without even trying.

I think some of that had to do with the fact that I need to see my stomach when I'm learning and humiliation makes me want to loose the embarrassment of exposure LOL. AND, very quickly I saw other women of all sizes and ages who where brave and beautiful (to me anyway).

Best to ya

Alaya

Hi Ines. Nice to have you here. Hope you can finde whot you are looking for. Happy posting.

Madeline

Hello Ines!

I recommend Delilah’s Bellydance Workshop series and Leyla Jouvana’s 21 Shimmies and 1001 Variations, because both cover a lot of different moves.

Madeline :)

miss_shimmy

welcome

I lost tons of weight doing bellydance and callanetics,feel free to check out my journal site/piks

http://hand.po.gs/dance/forum_viewtopic.php?32.327

theres also a thread here in beauty and fitness secrion,if I can do it,so can you!

hugs:)

miss shimmy
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Safran

Welcome, Ines! I'm sure you'll find answers to your questions and plenty of good suggestions here!

Lydia

Hi Inez welcome to this forum and happy posting....Lydia...bdw missshimmmyyyy cool fishy!!!

Aniseteph

Hi Ines, happy dancing and welcome!
Haven't got any DVD recommendations but have you looked for a teacher? Classes are fun and it's easier to pick up the moves. And if the US is anything like the UK there are no size/age issues :)D).

Last edited:

Yshka

Welcome to the forum and happy posting and dancing Ines. I don't know about the price but I've heard Jillina's bellydance instruction series is good.

Worth a try IMO:) .

Good luck to you!

Maria_Aya

Welcome Ines !!!
Keep in mind that you are already trapped lol
Many of us beging oriental dance for our body but we get hooked with the magic :D

Maria Aya Greece:)