Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mya View Post
    Hey Shira,

Great to have you here - your site and this one were the first two i found when i just started dancing which were and continue to be invaluable to me!

Don't worry, we don't bite people who try to go back on point after a thread has been hijacked, you're safe.
    Rhubarb Rhubarb......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mya View Post
    Don't worry, we don't bite people who try to go back on point after a thread has been hijacked, you're safe.
    I DO !!

And Ai'sha as no cream has yet to be mentioned in my planned assassination I have now not only pipped out my ride but hired my own bodygourd's and their willing to take a bullet for me - so do your wurst !!!
    Pomegranate till I die - ya hear!!

Sita

Post Thanks / Like

Default Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sita View Post
    I DO !!

And Ai'sha as no cream has yet to be mentioned in my planned assassination I have now not only pipped out my ride but hired my own bodygourd's and their willing to take a bullet for me - so do your wurst !!!
    Pomegranate till I die - ya hear!!

Sita

Dear Sita,
    Oh God.... how we end up spoiling those whom we intend to make swim with the knishes! Shanazel is usually in charge of the dairy products, except butter) but what the hell. Anything for you, Baby. Right in the brain pan a with sig-sauer cream!!! Them coppas ain't taken us alive. ( God, I DO love to sound like a 1930's gangster once in a blue moon or so.)
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Gangsters huh? Careful, or the Gourdfather might make you an okra you can't refuse....

Post Thanks / Like

Default !

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    Gangsters huh? Careful, or the Gourdfather might make you an okra you can't refuse....

Dear Aniseteph,
    The Gourdfather! Yeah, sister, his name is Al Capon!!
    I gotta go. I'm getting a very strong gag reflex about now. I am literally making myself sick.... When will I learn that puns are the very wurst form of hummus. Oh my god when will it stop?? It's spreading to all the food groups across all nations. It's turning into a panfriedemic. Oh, ick.. I gotta go lay down or something.
    Nauseatingly your's,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Let it never be said I have no influence with my pear group.

Post Thanks / Like

Default you can see it the other way

The teacher is there to teach you some things. It is interesting to have a teacher that knows or at least tries to know about details of the culture where the dance she/he is teaching emerged from.

But, what if you did not have a teacher and you made an ethnographic research alone? I suppose you would hear many opinions about the "acceptable" movements, smiles, dresses, of the woman that dances. Why? Because dance, as everything beautiful is a living entity. Social features can vary according to the place, people, time, social structure.

So, you would better collect several opinions, instead of being shocked by a "teacher's saying", because teachers are not authorities, and thankfully, there are no authorities in dance and in all nice things in this world.

Teachers are people to open routes for others. So, be happy if one of your teachers or some of them try to give you information about cultural things or even technical things, because they do not mean to keep you at this information only, but to make you open the discussion for yourself; to make you search on the web, ask people, ask other teachers, watch dancers more carefully and then decide what is fine and what is not (please, remember, it is not written "correct" but "fine"), what is fitting the music and your feeling, and what is not.

So, you should not blame teachers for "wrong" information - Are you sure it is really wrong? You should blame yourself for just staying at the first given information, instead of searching more.

Suppose now, that your teacher has given you "proven" mistaken information. So what? Was it enough an incentive for learning more?
    Would you like to tell your teacher about your findings? Tell her/him. Would you like not to tell? Dance your findings! The teacher will appreciate it. If not, then and only then, consider about your teacher and the knowledge she/he gives to you.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Instructors

Dear Walladah,

[QUOTE=walladah;90966]

Teachers are people to open routes for others. So, be happy if one of your teachers or some of them try to give you information about cultural things or even technical things, because they do not mean to keep you at this information only, but to make you open the discussion for yourself; to make you search on the web, ask people, ask other teachers, watch dancers more carefully and then decide what is fine and what is not (please, remember, it is not written "correct" but "fine"), what is fitting the music and your feeling, and what is not.
    So, you should not blame teachers for "wrong" information - Are you sure it is really wrong? You should blame yourself for just staying at the first given information, instead of searching more.

You are a person who truly understands the function of an instructor. This is exactly the point I was making with the comment that learning is a 50-50 proposition fro the teacher and the student to do their work. I am going to give you REP for being so clear in what a teacher is for!! And welcome to the forum. I am sure you will be a valued member.
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Rep from me, too, Walladah. When students don't branch out and research topics of interest for themselves, I am reminded of what a very irritated history instructor once said to an honors history class that was cruising by on less than full brainpower: "Do you think I am nothing more than a mother bird dropping bits of knowledge into your gaping mouths without you ever needing to seek beyond what I have to offer?"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Rep from me, too, Walladah. When students don't branch out and research topics of interest for themselves, I am reminded of what a very irritated history instructor once said to an honors history class that was cruising by on less than full brainpower: "Do you think I am nothing more than a mother bird dropping bits of knowledge into your gaping mouths without you ever needing to seek beyond what I have to offer?"

Otherwise known by teachers as the FOFO method (F*** Off and Find Out)

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast