Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mya View Post
    You guys are killing me i'm trying to pretend to be working here!
    your bosses won't care as long as you know your onions....

Post Thanks / Like

My oh my what have I started?

Post Thanks / Like

You got all the fruits and nuts started. This is one hijacked thread for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

To all of it!

another thread decending into the depths of madness....

Post Thanks / Like

"But I don't want to go among mad people," A'isha-Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said ShanaCat, "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said A'isha-Alice.

"You must be," said ShanaCat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Post Thanks / Like

I always thought according to an article I read somewhere that Oriental dance is the translation to the phrase Raks Sharki, and that It was being called that way because at the Cabarets in Cairo they would have Western music: Waltz, Foxtrot, Tango Etc and when the Egyptian music was played, they would anounce it as Raks Sharki: Dance of the East. So, my impresion was always that oriental dance is a general term....
    Well, someone was promoting a teacher at her studion by saying that she does not do Egyptian style, but her style is "oriental". I expressed my confussion to her but it seemed to me that she did not get what I was saying...or just ignore my remarks.
    If I'm wrong and this person is correct, would someone please let me know, I'm in the process of re-educating myself and for that reason I'm not promoting myself as a teacher for the time being but one day I would like to teach again and don't want to misslead anybody.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Madness

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    "But I don't want to go among mad people," A'isha-Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said ShanaCat, "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said A'isha-Alice.

"You must be," said ShanaCat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Dear Shanazel,
    It has been long since I have read one of my all time favorite poems, which Alice was made to recite, and I may have it a bit wrong, but it goes something like this:

How doth the little crocodile
    Improve his shining tail
    And spread the waters of the Nile
    On every golden scale
    How cheerfully he seems to grin
    How neatly spreads his claws
    And welcomes little fishes in
    With gently smiling jaws

An apt sort of poem, of course, since we ARE after all discussing Egyptian dance and that's someplace by the Nile, ain't it???

With love, salaamat and lunacy,
    A'lice

Post Thanks / Like

Is it safe to comment on the original post, considering that the thread has drifted quite far off topic? Oh well, I'll take the risk and do so.

I agree with everyone who recommended discussing the situation privately with the teacher.

In some cases, the student may indeed have encountered a credible source that the teacher has not yet discovered. In such cases, a *good* teacher will welcome being steered to valuable information, but will appreciate not being made a spectacle of in front of other students.

In other cases, the student's source may be one the teacher is familiar with but considers to be flawed. The teacher may have made a conscious decision to reject it. For example, there are certain books claiming to present a history of belly dancing that I consider to be inaccurate. If a student who has read one of these sources wants to challenge why I have said something that differs from what she read, I'm willing to discuss why I feel the source is mistaken, but again I prefer that conversation to be private.

Of course, no matter which of the above scenarios may apply to a given situation, it's important for the student to use a respectful attitude when telling her teacher about the fact that the student obtained conflicting information elsewhere. "Gotcha" attitudes rarely succeed in persuading people to accept new information!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Shira,

Great to have you here - your site and this one were the first two i found when i just started dancing which were and continue to be invaluable to me!

Don't worry, we don't bite people who try to go back on point after a thread has been hijacked, you're safe.

Post Thanks / Like

To return to topic. I would personally be very careful before criticising a teacher.
    First make sure you have your facts straight...and are they facts? Do you have any more evidence than she might.
    Second do it privately not in front of the rest of the class. She will thank you for extra knowledge but not given in such away as to undermine her.
    Third be diplomatic eg "You know you said .........but I was the reading the other day...........What do you think?"

No teacher minds the smart-ar$e pupil as long as they are imparting their knowledge at the right time and in the right way.

And not all teachers either feel the need to look at the background and history of this dance and different nations have different takes- all kinds of things you need to consider before you go shooting off your mouth.
    Equally I feel that a teacher should not bring down another publically. So if a student says to me but my previous teacher says this ............there are ways to answer in a sensitive manner.."Oh interesting..tell me more after class" And watch the sarcasm girls and boys
    Far better than shouting "Bo$$ocks! What an ar$e idea!"

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast