When your teacher says something inaccurate

Samira bint Aya

Aisha and Shanazel,

Thank you both for being understanding.

I became aware that I had written a controversial post, and I was worried that I had been misunderstood. Especially since I value your opinions.

Shanazel

What a nice thing to say, Samira! Thank you. Everyone gets misunderstood on the forum once in awhile and it can be frustrating as all hell.

Aisha Azar

Thanks!!

Aisha and Shanazel,

Thank you both for being understanding.

I became aware that I had written a controversial post, and I was worried that I had been misunderstood. Especially since I value your opinions.

Dear Samira,
I am so happy that you are studying with Aya, whom I love. But in the other class, you seem to have a smart head on your shoulders and are able to get value from the class in other ways, and that counts!! I thought your post was not so much controversial as well thought out and addressing a serious issue in dance. We NEED people like you here, polite, articulate, and nice! As Shanazel says, it can be very frustrating to be misunderstood.
Regards,
A'isha

Caroline_afifi

I think there is a situation were many teachers have been going for years and 'leaned that and done that' years ago.

The problem is, research and new info is developing all the time.
Some does of course stay the same but new deeper research and discussion emerges.

Whilst many people look down their noses at these forums and discussions etc. there is something very up to date about what is going on here.

New information is discussed and debated.
There is a diverse bunch of people who contribute on many different levels.

The key thing is to keep watching and learning and not be afraid to not know everything all of the time. One thing we can all count on is change.

Many students are more up to date than some of their teachers these days because they are hungry to learn and know.
They are often more likely to have their finger on the pulse and participate in workshops, reading and forums.

I think having said this, alot of lurkers on these boards are teachers and performers who would rather not admit they were here.

da Sage

I think having said this, alot of lurkers on these boards are teachers and performers who would rather not admit they were here.

Or maybe they just don't want to get involved in the "friendly discussions". I'll admit to lurking for months before I joined...nothing wrong with that!

Caroline_afifi

Or maybe they just don't want to get involved in the "friendly discussions". I'll admit to lurking for months before I joined...nothing wrong with that!

Which is why I didnt say ALL teachers..etc.

The point I was making is that it is not just students who lurk here researching info and keeping up to date with whats going on.

I dont like the name lurk, as that in itself implies something not so nice.

Without any of the discussions both good or bad, there would be nothing to 'lurk' at.

I know many many people who 'lurk' here and they are all lovely people but have their own varied reasons for not making themselves known. No one said it was wrong.

I will also be so bold as to call some of it it the 'Neon' effect. if anyone remembers that famous controversial article on Gilded Serpant. I think this affected some people.

Poeple often focus on the negative when judgeing these forums.

Mya

Imitating plant life is much less common.

Is it? Perhaps just to you because of your culture and background? No offense or anything meant here, it's just that i was just watching a video of classical indian dance - a fusion of odissi and barathanathyam. Their movements were both representing nature and trees within their different styles- to me it doesn't seem odd in any way and certainly no more so than mimicing seaplants in Khaleegi. Perhaps because i'm already more familiar with a culture that does these things it's not strange to me whereas you may not be so it seems strange to you.
In such a case maybe it is better not ot make a general statement such as above? I can see it inflaming passions in some folks. Cheers!

Shanazel

Stating a preference for apples over pomegranites could inflame passions in some people ;).

As a botanist, I love the idea of imitating plants in dance. Think of how trees sway in the wind... of course, if one wished to do a wilder sort of dance, one could imitate trees crashing to the ground in a high wind. Think of the possibilities for Turkish drops!

Aisha Azar

Passion

Stating a preference for apples over pomegranites could inflame passions in some people ;).

As a botanist, I love the idea of imitating plants in dance. Think of how trees sway in the wind... of course, if one wished to do a wilder sort of dance, one could imitate trees crashing to the ground in a high wind. Think of the possibilities for Turkish drops!

Dear Shanazel,
Those of us who are highly flammable usually prefer passion fruit.
Regards,
The very hot tempered for a water sign,
A'isha

(Must be having Mars/Venus conjunct and Mercury in Aries that does it in this Pisces!!)

Farasha Hanem

WoodCutter Bellydancers Association

ROFL!!! *now has mental picture of Rachel Brice falling to the floor, yelling, "TIMBERRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!"*

Thanks, Shanazel, I needed that! :D

Aisha Azar

Fruits

Oh, my dear, it is worse than you think- I prefer grapes to either.

Dear Shanazel,
Oh, please, the only fruits really WORTH the trouble to eat them unless cooked in pie crust are nectarines, peaches and guavas.
Regards,
The staunch defender of vegetables everywhere,
A'isha
(Eat more broccoli!)

Shanazel

A'isha, dear, you are at the top of the list to receive my infamous guava/broccoli fruit cake this holiday season. It comes with peach brandy sauce with an olive oil base, and I'm sure you will love it.

Aisha Azar

Speaking of Fruit Cake.....

A'isha, dear, you are at the top of the list to receive my infamous guava/broccoli fruit cake this holiday season. It comes with peach brandy sauce with an olive oil base, and I'm sure you will love it.

Dear Shanazel,
Just like Dear Old Mom used to make!!!
We used to sell them, but would only accept 18 dollar bills as payment. (The 20 dollar bills are often counterfeit.)
Happy Hollandaise!!!
Regards,
A'isha

shiradotnet

Many students are more up to date than some of their teachers these days because they are hungry to learn and know.
They are often more likely to have their finger on the pulse and participate in workshops, reading and forums.

I agree with this statement. I've known a number of teachers over the years who rarely pursued continuing education of any type. Didn't read books about our dance, didn't use the forums, didn't go to workshops... They tended to be nice people, but they remained stuck in the past, and sometimes that did hurt their credibility with students.

On a related note, I've known some teachers who attended ONLY workshops in the exact same dance style as what they had learned years ago. These teachers limited their ability to grow as dancers by rehashing the same old input, and not exposing themselves to new material.

Sita

Oh, my dear, it is worse than you think- I prefer grapes to either.

:shok:
Shanazel and A'isha you have made me lose all respect for your judgement:(

:cool:Come the Fruit Revolution I'm afraid you may be the first up against the wall ... repent now!! :cool:

Viva la Revolution,

Sita