When your teacher says something inaccurate

Farasha Hanem

I'm gonna be like Toucan Sam and follow my nose to the wonderful smell of flavorful fruit---wherever it grows! :D

On a serious note, though, I'd like to help my own teacher, if I can. She's only a year older than my own daughter, but that doesn't make me any nevermind, because I think that an older person can learn a new thing or two from someone younger. :) She started bellydancing when she was 17 (she's now 23), and this is only her second year to teach. I don't know if anyone here would question my taking classes from one who is still quite young in the dance herself, but there aren't any other teachers in our town. She's the only one, but she's very caring, and watches us to make sure we're doing the movements right, and gently corrects us if we're executing a movement wrong. She's also very aware of her students; if she sees one in pain, or if anyone gets tired, she'll quickly adjust what she's doing, and does her best to keep us from injuring ourselves.

Last year was her first year to teach, and she mainly taught us basic moves, stage entrances and exits, a little veil work, a little choreo, and lots of freestyling, in groups, and solo (that was always so embarrassing for me :redface: ). She went to her first major workshop this past summer, and she said that the instructors put great emphasis on teaching students the "history" of bellydance (yep, you can imagine what they taught her). She's trying hard this year to be a more prepared and self-disciplined teacher, while still being spontaneous and going with the flow. Anyway, I just want to know if there's anything I can do to help her debunk some of the stuff she learned at that workshop? I've been encouraging her to join our forum, but she hasn't yet. :(

Oh, by the way, she's still growing in the dance. She takes two classes herself every week so she can continue to learn more. She's very sweet, has an open mind, and seems always eager to learn.

Last edited:

Aisha Azar

Fruit

:shok:
Shanazel and A'isha you have made me lose all respect for your judgement:(

:cool:Come the Fruit Revolution I'm afraid you may be the first up against the wall ... repent now!! :cool:

Viva la Revolution,

Sita

Dear Sita,
This obviously calls for a drive-by fruiting!! We will strawberry-cap you right in your corn crib!! Don't mess o' greens with us. We are bad apples

Oh my god....I've caught something really awful from Shanazel. I gotta go take pill now....
Regards,
A'isha

Aisha Azar

TEachers, etc.

Dear Farasha,
Last year was her first year to teach, and she mainly taught us basic moves, stage entrances and exits, a little veil work, a little choreo, and lots of freestyling, in groups, and solo (that was always so embarrassing for me :redface: ). She went to her first major workshop this past summer, and she said that the instructors put great emphasis on teaching students the "history" of bellydance (yep, you can imagine what they taught her). She's trying hard this year to be a more prepared and self-disciplined teacher, while still being spontaneous and going with the flow. Anyway, I just want to know if there's anything I can do to help her debunk some of the stuff she learned at that workshop? I've been encouraging her to join our forum, but she hasn't yet. :(

First, you have to realize that everyone is not in the class for he same reasons that you are, and that different teachers have different methods of teaching and emphasize different things. This was a hard one for me as I want all teachers to teach the whole package, culture, history, dance movement, musical info, etc. The truth is that all teachers have their strong and weak points, which is why we go to more than one of them for classes!!

It is not your place to debunk anything that she is learning, but it is your place to monitor what YOU decide to believe or not believe. when you think she has different info than you, talk to her about it after class and privately, and say something like, "You know when you were talking about the origin of finger cymbals tonight? It reminded me that I was reading an article where so and so said something about using four of them instead of two ( or whatever). Thought I'd share what I had heard with you."

The other thing is that this forum is as likely to have good or bad info as any other place you get info. I love it here, too, but I don;t always read things that make me feel we have the corner on truth in information!

One other important point: Students are at least 50% responsible for their education in dance or any other area of study. This means that those who want to know more can get out there and bust their buns to learn all they can. Any teacher can only take the student so far and then it is necessary for the student to take their own education into their own hands. In the case of your current teacher, it sounds like her students will have to learn about history by researching, joining forums, etc, instead of from her.

Oh, by the way, she's still growing in the dance. She takes two classes herself every week so she can continue to learn more. She's very sweet, has an open mind, and seems always eager to learn.

[/QUOTE]

She sounds very nice and I think she will grow as a teacher. If she is young and has not been teaching long, she just may surprise you 10 years from now by being a well-rounded, well informed instructor.

Regards,
A'isha

Shanazel

Dear Sita,
This obviously calls for a drive-by fruiting!! We will strawberry-cap you right in your corn crib!! Don't mess o' greens with us. We are bad apples

Oh my god....I've caught something really awful from Shanazel. I gotta go take pill now....
Regards,
A'isha

I'm so proud of you, A'isha. Lettuce applaud her, everyone, for she practices what she peaches.

Sita

Dear Sita,

Regards,
A'isha

Mmmmm Strawberry-cap: any chance of some cream with that??:yay:

Sita

P.S Leave the pill...come join us on the dark side..:dance:

Aisha Azar

Nuts

Well, this proves one thing- we're all nuts.

(Peas and cukes- giggle giggle. Wish I'd said that.)

Dear Shanazel,
Well, some of the sweet ones among us could be bananas...
OH GAWD.... I JUST CAN'T STAND MYSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With even deeper regret,
A'isha

Aniseteph

Nothing to be ashamed of. You gotta beetroot to yourself.

(OK now I feel terrible too. i just had to get that one out of my system. :redface: )

Farasha Hanem

Dear Farasha,

First, you have to realize that everyone is not in the class for he same reasons that you are, and that different teachers have different methods of teaching and emphasize different things. This was a hard one for me as I want all teachers to teach the whole package, culture, history, dance movement, musical info, etc. The truth is that all teachers have their strong and weak points, which is why we go to more than one of them for classes!!

It is not your place to debunk anything that she is learning, but it is your place to monitor what YOU decide to believe or not believe. when you think she has different info than you, talk to her about it after class and privately, and say something like, "You know when you were talking about the origin of finger cymbals tonight? It reminded me that I was reading an article where so and so said something about using four of them instead of two ( or whatever). Thought I'd share what I had heard with you."

The other thing is that this forum is as likely to have good or bad info as any other place you get info. I love it here, too, but I don;t always read things that make me feel we have the corner on truth in information!

One other important point: Students are at least 50% responsible for their education in dance or any other area of study. This means that those who want to know more can get out there and bust their buns to learn all they can. Any teacher can only take the student so far and then it is necessary for the student to take their own education into their own hands. In the case of your current teacher, it sounds like her students will have to learn about history by researching, joining forums, etc, instead of from her.

She sounds very nice and I think she will grow as a teacher. If she is young and has not been teaching long, she just may surprise you 10 years from now by being a well-rounded, well informed instructor.

Regards,
A'isha[/QUOTE]

Thank you, A'isha, what you've said makes perfect sense, especially what you said about my not being responsible to "debunk" anything, and that students are 50% responsible for their education. I'm so very glad that no one here is down on her, because she's still young in the dance herself, and even younger in teaching. I'm sure in the years to come, she will continue to grow and mature. :)

Now then A'isha, orange you glad that I asked for your advice? :D *snicker* (sorry, sorry, couldn't resist! :D )

Aisha Azar

Dance etc.

Now then A'isha, orange you glad that I asked for your advice? :D *snicker* (sorry, sorry, couldn't resist! :D )

Dear Gang,
OOOHHHMMMMYYYYGGGOOOODDDD!!!!! It's like the Plague!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Even perfectly lovely people like Farasha are getting it now. Shanazelitis is spreading throughout the land and there is no vaccination!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HHHEEELLLPPPP!!!!!!! I'm berry, berry afraid for us all!!!!!
Regards,
A'isha

Aisha Azar

Shanazelitis

Shanazelitis??? :lol::lol:

Dear One,
You are the main carrier of this horrendous ailment and so I feel it is only a very fitting and just honor that I have bestowed upon you by naming it for you.
Your name will go down in medical and agricultural history right after I write a paper about it that will be published in JAMA and the Blueberry and Nicotine Patch Times.
With very respectful regards,
A'isha Hemmingway