Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Starting bellydance after 40?

I'm around 40 years old with no dance experience. Is it realistic for me to think I will some day be good at this?

Post Thanks / Like

Define "good."

I don't know whether you will be another FiFi, but chances are excellent that you will have a wonderful time and never regret learning to dance to the best of your ability.

Post Thanks / Like

Wish I'd started that young!

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing wrong with starting after 40. I was about 44 when I started and I am still at it 7 or 8 years later I will never be professional but I dance for the enjoyment of it. I can dance at workshop shows, Haflas, etc. Go ahead and enjoy yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

Of course you can!

I know people who have started at this age and older and it changed their lives! go for it.
    Age is not the barrier but other things may be, like certain health conditions and natural ability etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm 40 now and I started belly dancing last year, on and off, because of work and my other sports. I don't have natural grace, never studied dancing in my life (except 2 sessions of Hawaiian when I was 5) and had, well still have, absolutely poor sense of rhythm and direction. Everything in my dance is acquired and I am soooo fortunate and happy to reach this stage in my dancing! Have muuuuch more to learn and experience but it's all worth it!

If you have the passion, you will be awesome and you will love it!

Post Thanks / Like

I started at 57 and my very much younger teacher thinks I have potential!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AngelaJP View Post
    I'm 40 now...
    Whaat!? I just had to go back and check your new costume thread. Wow. I thought you were twentysomething.

I started at 41, don't know if I'll ever be "good" but I'm having a lot of fun trying, and there are plenty of role models.

Post Thanks / Like

Many seem to start dancing when they're over 40 so you're hardly alone as people's other posts have already suggested. As to becoming good there are people who could have started in their teens and will never reach a great level of ability for whatever reason. It's about love of the art, enjoyment, emotion, practice, commitment and determination not age.

Angela: you are not 40!!!! my word... were you dipped in the fountain of Eternal Youth as a baby ???

Sita
    Last edited by Sita; 10-10-2008 at 09:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Age and dance

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    I'm around 40 years old with no dance experience. Is it realistic for me to think I will some day be good at this?

Dear Angie,
    I have had several students who started at around age 40 who have turned out to be wonderful dancers. Namva Chan who recently joined my dance company is an example. She started at age 39 and is so good that we invited her to join last year!! She is now 42.
    Do be real with your expectations as to where you will perform, what your body is capable of, etc. Namva is a very young 42 with a lithe body and can probably dance in any venue. ( Can't say the same for me any more!!)The nice thing about belly dance is that there is a large range of possible movement choices so that no matter what age, body type etc, there is something there that is very real to make a dance out of for all people who have the skill to do the dance. Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Regards,
    A'isha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast