Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with everyone here, go for it! Have fun. I started at 56, ( turned 60 at the end of Sept - now THAT was scary). I will never be a professional, but enjoy dancing at Haflas, and other events.

I think many of us come to BD later due to various other life commitments, (family/work etc) and when the pressures of those ease we find we need something special just for ourselves. I needed more activity, and absolutely didn't need to go to a gym with all the 'beautiful' people. I wanted something real and wholesome and fun. I was totally hooked from my first lesson ... Yes I do wish I had found BD earlier, (in my 40s would have been nice) but that wasn't to be, so I am just truly happy I did find BD and start to dance in my 'youthful' mid 50s.
    ~Mosaic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    Whaat!? I just had to go back and check your new costume thread. Wow. I thought you were twentysomething.
    Yipeeee! Thank you for your sweet words, Aniseteph! I have the mind mostly of a 20 year old, heehee. I think it will be my eye wrinkles that will give away my age but my disposition that makes people think I'm younger. I also look better in pictures because I have practiced my smile and pose which my family thinks is so over sometimes

I started at 41, don't know if I'll ever be "good" but I'm having a lot of fun trying, and there are plenty of role models.
    Yes, you said it, Aniseteph! Really loads of fun trying to improve. There are moves that are easy for me and some just so difficult! Now I have more determination than ever to improve more after investing in a costume, hahahaha!

Post Thanks / Like

Even though I'd previously been using instructional DVD's for seven years, I only started taking bellydance class since last year, and I have absolutely no previous background at all. I couldn't even do the "Hokey Pokey" on rollerblades without falling on my patoose. And by the way, I'll be 48 in February. So with a resounding "yes," I will tell you that you can start bellydancing at 40. How good you will become will depend on factors that have previously been mentioned, but hey, I dance like a hiccupping caterpillar wearing all-left army boots, and I still have fun.

Bellydance has not only been physically beneficial to me, it has changed me on the inside, too. I'll probably never be a professional, but if I become good enough to do the dance justice, I will be just fine with that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mosaic View Post
    I think many of us come to BD later due to various other life commitments, (family/work etc) and when the pressures of those ease we find we need something special just for ourselves.
    ~Mosaic
    I agree 100 %! I started BD at the age of 40 and I have never thought that I would be too old to bellydance... IMO Bellydancing is suitable for all women and girls of all age groups and sizes.

Post Thanks / Like

Let me join the chorus here. I started when i was 40 also, ( in 1993) and while I had studied a little bit of dance before (old time country /western, contra, jazz and modern) I did not consider myself talented in dance.

I started Belly dance as a way to recover from a car accident. The massage therapist I was seeing suggested it. I had a friend who had been taking lessons for years just for fun and i joined her class and the rest is as they say history.

In my not so humble opinion, I am an above average dancer, if average is defined as the majority of dancers that I see at the local events I attend. I will never make a living as a belly dancer, but I do get paid sometimes for teaching or dancing.

Much of what I do now for fun or for health is to support my dance. I have always loved fiber arts and love designing and making my costumes. I walk to stay fit and constantly try to learn more about nutrition so that I can stay healthy. I do all this so that I can keep dancing.

I love learning about other cultures and countries and spend a great deal of time reading books about the Middle East.

I started Balkan Folk dancing to support my Belly dancing and have become an aficionado of this genre as well. BTW Balkan Folk dancing is an excellent way to gain understanding of rhythm and movement.

So overall studying Belly dance has had an enormous positive benefit in my life.

Marya

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dance, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Marya View Post
    Let me join the chorus here. I started when i was 40 also, ( in 1993) and while I had studied a little bit of dance before (old time country /western, contra, jazz and modern) I did not consider myself talented in dance.

I started Belly dance as a way to recover from a car accident. The massage therapist I was seeing suggested it. I had a friend who had been taking lessons for years just for fun and i joined her class and the rest is as they say history.

In my not so humble opinion, I am an above average dancer, if average is defined as the majority of dancers that I see at the local events I attend. I will never make a living as a belly dancer, but I do get paid sometimes for teaching or dancing.

Much of what I do now for fun or for health is to support my dance. I have always loved fiber arts and love designing and making my costumes. I walk to stay fit and constantly try to learn more about nutrition so that I can stay healthy. I do all this so that I can keep dancing.

I love learning about other cultures and countries and spend a great deal of time reading books about the Middle East.

I started Balkan Folk dancing to support my Belly dancing and have become an aficionado of this genre as well. BTW Balkan Folk dancing is an excellent way to gain understanding of rhythm and movement.

So overall studying Belly dance has had an enormous positive benefit in my life.

Marya

Dear Gang,
    I would like to add that Marya is one of the most dedicated students I have ever met. It is truly important to her to get it right and she is a pleasure to work with because of her caring attitude about what she is doing. She takes her studies very seriously and she is continuously learning and improving!
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aisha Azar View Post
    Dear Gang,
    I would like to add that Marya is one of the most dedicated students I have ever met. It is truly important to her to get it right and she is a pleasure to work with because of her caring attitude about what she is doing. She takes her studies very seriously and she is continuously learning and improving!
    Regards,
    A'isha
    Why, thank you Aisha.

Marya

Post Thanks / Like

I am 50 with absolutely no dance training. I just started and am loving it. I'll never be like the 20 year olds, but I am thrilled everytime I teach my body/muscles to do something new.

Post Thanks / Like

Dance is for having FUN. This is my philosophy for dance. Any kind of dance. If you have fun, that is the most important thing, not age, body shape, weight, hights, gender, race or anything els. If you try Oriental dance, and like it, that is the most important thing. If you like it, you'll try to be "good". So, don't worry about age and other stuff, just do it and enjoy dancing.

Post Thanks / Like

Depends. Depends on your innate ability and body awareness. Depends on your goals. If you mean will you be able you make a living as a pro dancer - probably not. If you mean can you learn to execute the movements and dance in style - probably. If you mean enjoy yourself and have fun - no reason why not.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12